BC Boards

sick puppy

nancy in AZ

I'm a little worried about the little bc pup I picked up from the shelter transport today. He's supposedly 4 months but is very scrawny and looks younger. His eyes and nose are clear, no coughing. He threw up some grass he ate when he first got to my home (about 4 hours ago). He had one very small kind of mustardy (in color and consistency) stool . He's acting very listless/depressed and seems slightly off when he walks. There's no playful puppy behavior, no running leaping, trotting around, no energy. He does wag his tail at me and he'll walk around the yard a bit and then sit or lie down. He slept the whole way to my house, about 2 1/2 hours and has been sleeping, resting since he's been here. He was finally interested in some plain roast chicken which I hand fed him in small bites. And then he took a drink. He didn't eat all that much. I took him outside right after and moments later he threw up everything. When I just went out to bring him back in, he did get all wiggly and waggy, but I haven't seen any pace faster than a brisk walk from him. I haven't had a puppy, let alone a possibly sick one in a long while. Is there anything you can suggest for me to give him. I don't want him getting dehydrated. What should I watch for?

Oh Nancy I am crossing my fingers. Will he lick ice cubes or eat ice chips? Maybe a drink is too much at once, but a slowly melting ice cube might go down slow enough for his tummy?

You and the little one will be in Chris and my thoughts. I hope that vet calls you back ASAP.

He's resting comfortably right now. Vet suggested I give him a small amount of pedialyte about every 15 minutes and call back if he seems to slide. When I took him outside a few moments ago he was a lot perkier, but as soon as I bring him back inside to his bed, he lies down and konks out. Thanks for the good mojo--keep it coming!!

IMG_2757.jpgIMG_2760.jpg

a vet of course was the best idea. but is it possible he's depressed? it's very anthropomorphizing of me, but it sounds like it's been a tough ride and it's worn him down some. perhaps it will take a few days of tlc and settleing in to regain his joie de vive.

Have you checked his temp? How is he doing today? I'm with the others, this pup needs to be seen by a Vet. Has he eaten, and kept it down, today?

Yes, given his circumstances I'd be very worried about coccidiosis (yellow poop) or even early Parvo. When they are vomiting you really can't get enough down with out causing more vomiting & actually making things worse. I'd definitely get tot he vet ASAP & get him tested. Do you isolate them from your dogs when you first bring them home?

Good luck & keep up posted.

He seems a bit perkier today,wiggly and waggy but still spending most of the time asleep. No more vomiting after the chicken episode yesterday and no diarrhea. He was eager for breakfast and has kept everything down this morning. I've been feeding him very small amounts in frequent intervals so his system isn't overwhelmed. Still no puppy energy though. The vet I spoke to felt he was likely depressed from the shelter and transport etc. Temp has been normal.

I would have him checked for giardia. Even if he does not test positive, he may still have it. The vet may rule out other possibilities and treat him anyway. It can be tough to get rid of. IF this is what he has, you have to be diligent about keeping his poop cleaned up, cleaning the areas with bleach, and not letting him or other dogs walk in contaminated areas. Good Luck!

Sonja

I would have him checked for giardia. Even if he does not test positive, he may still have it. The vet may rule out other possibilities and treat him anyway. It can be tough to get rid of. IF this is what he has, you have to be diligent about keeping his poop cleaned up, cleaning the areas with bleach, and not letting him or other dogs walk in contaminated areas. Good Luck!

Sonja

I'd do this regardless, just in case he has anything at all.

How is he feeling this afternoon?

I got to see the sweet muffin, and Nancy :), at the calender party this afternoon. What a sweet heart. He slept the whole time but everyone who talked to him got a fabulous tail wag. I can't tell you how he was in comparison to before, but he definitely wasn't feeling well. I think someone snuck him chicken and he kept it down, so I'm going to think positive and guess Nancy is going to say he is improving. ;) His new foster home is our volunteer who handles all the vet work and appointments so she'll be able to get him in quickly if need be.

Nancy, I hope the weather was better when you got home than when you left!

First, I want to thank you all so much for your concern and advice!

Got an update from the pup's foster mom today. He was diagnosed with pneumonia, and has been receiving fluids and antibiotics. He's been responding to treatment and they feel it was caught early, so he's expected to make a full recovery. I hope to get an update soon saying he's become hell on wheels. :)

First, I want to thank you all so much for your concern and advice!

Got an update from the pup's foster mom today. He was diagnosed with pneumonia, and has been receiving fluids and antibiotics. He's been responding to treatment and they feel it was caught early, so he's expected to make a full recovery. I hope to get an update soon saying he's become hell on wheels. :)

Sounds good!

I just recieved an email up date on the little guy. ABCR and Champ could really use all the board mojo you can muster.

We rescued Champ from the Kingman shelter last Saturday. He is about 4 months old and I think he might have weighed 13 lbs. You can feel and see every bone in his body, he wasn't eating good and we knew he didn't feel good (probably fighting off kennel cough), but still anytime you walk up to him or talk to him his little tail goes thump, thump thump. We took him to the vet on Monday where he was diagnosed with pneumonia sent home with lots of meds and SubQ hydration. Yesterday still wasn't eating well and still having a hard time breathing. So we rushed him to emergency. The little guy is to sick and weak to eat or get healthy with out alot of help. So he is in intensive care, fighting for his life and we (ABCR) are NOT going to give up on this little guy. He is trying soooooo hard. So keep Champ in your prayers and thoughts and hopefully he will have the strength to survive.

It is with great sadness that I report that little Champ didn't make it. He died this morning in intensive care. The poor little guy presented with neurological symptoms early this morning. Because of this,the vet believes he may have had distemper. Poor little guy, didn't have a chance, he was so thin and weak. RIP Champ. You deserved better from life.

Archived