BC Boards

7 dogs dead on American Airlines flight

Tommy Coyote

This is so sad.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/08/04/illin...ths/index.html

Animals are not supposed to fly if the temps get over 85. It was already above that when the plane took off.

I don't get this. Isn't there someway that the baggage area could be air conditioned. But then you would still be in trouble if the plane got stuck on the runway somewhere and there was no air conditioning.

I just think I will ever fly my dogs. Too scary. I would drive if I had to.

I believe all airliners have at least 1 cargo hold (if not all) with climate controls (heat and AC) and the entire fuselage is pressurized. I suspect these controls do not work when the engines are off (i.e. idle on the tarmac) or not plugged in at the gate.

I've flown Delta with good results. They don't accept dogs as luggage between May and September. I think they've some temp regs too. Excepting rare mechanical malfunction, what can kill a dog is waiting on a hot tarmac for an hour or two. Apparently it was 86/87 degrees in the A/A instance.

Donald McCaig

An unfortunate and sad incident. One of which I'm sure will be investigated throughly.

Many, many dogs are flown with no issues year round. The temperature restrictions are not really there (the 85 rule) anymore as there are numerous programs to go around them. For example you can fly a suitable (non-brachycephalic) dog with air cargo year round to any airport in the climate control program. I just checked that a few minutes ago as I'm flying a LGD in - the hot legs Memphis, Atlanta...all climate controlled with a limit of how long they can be allowed to be exposed even during loading/unloading of the plane.

There is no perfect mode of travel. Many people fear flying, yet the numbers say it is much safety than driving. If you had a bad wreck right now in this heat it wouldn't take long for a dog trailer, van or RV full a dogs to become a tragedy just like that flight.

Delta has been extremely good to my pets. I've flown them through about 10 major airports and all treated my dogs with respect for their safety and well-being.

My heart goes out to the owners of the dogs in Illinois.

If dogs were meant to fly they'd have wings....

(sorry, it was just lying there....couldn't help myself).

Seriously, my dogs will never fly. If I go somewhere and take them, it's in the car. If I'm flying, they will stay at home with a sitter. I don't like subjecting MYSELF to the airlines, much less my poor innocent girls.

Flying these days is awful.

Agreed - no flights for my crew (or me, for that matter...).

One argument is: "but it's much more dangerous to drive on a highway." Agree on that too - except for the MOST part, you are in control of things; not everything of course - some maniac could plow head-on into your vehicle. But at least you can control where the dogs go, what the temps are, etc. etc.

The story is certainly heart-breaking....

diane

Not much to add except that I also have had excellent customer service and safe travel for several dogs through Delta. They have climate controlled pet areas and I like that you take and pick up your dog to a seperate facility that is prepared to handle animals (as opposed to any random airport employee). I've shipped dogs out and received pups and never had an incident. They are very strict about temperatures - I've picked up dogs nearly in the middle of the night because of their temperature restrictions but can't complain about them looking out for the pets first.

Not much to add excep that I also have had excellent customer service and safe travel for several dogs through Delta. They have climate controlled pet areas and I like that you take and pick up your dog to a seperate facility that is prepared to handle animals (as opposed to any random airport employee). I've shipped dogs out and received pups and never had an incident. They are very strict about temperatures - I've picked up dogs nearly in the middle of the night because of their temperature restrictions but can't complain about them looking out for the pets first.

Ditto. This is a terrible tragedy but it doesn't mean airline travel is inherently unsafe.

Archived