BC Boards

Hurt leg

Well today Black Jack hurt his front leg :rolleyes: I guess it was when he was playing or something, I'm not really sure because he didn't start limping until tonight after he rested for an hour or so. I fed him, then walked him a half hour later and he couldn't put much weight on his leg. Could it be a sprain from playing? (he has been playing a LOT more the last two days)

I feel bad, kind of like I hurt his leg from playing to much, but I try to make him take breaks and not over do it. Even though he begs me to play more, and more, and more

Anything you guys would recommend for him? I have been trying my best to make him take it easy. So far so good since it's night time, but tomorrow will be another story. He has been getting a lot more energy the last few days and not wanting to quit playing, ever! He's now a normal BC :D

My dogs have done that from time to time. Just reduce his activity, and don't ask much from him. Concentrate on mental activities or obedience instead. Sometimes it will take a day or two. If it's longer then 3 days and not getting better, you might want to consider a vet visit.

Be sure to look real closely at his paw pad in case he has a picker or a cut. Daisy I know ignores such things if the playing is good, and they show up later. Also, when we first got her, she had been penned up and hadn't been played with. The first five or six months we had her, she got pulled muscles several times from playing too enthusiastically. We had to pace her, like in a track team workout. OK, 5 long ball fetches this morning with rest between, 10 tomorrow kind of thing. No kidding, she really needed to get in shape! Now she's super fit and can run and play as much as she wants. I could see Black Jack having the same problem, now that he's in a good BC home with you.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that. After every play time I always check his pads, legs, and mouth for any cuts, stickers, etc. I couldn't see any cuts or anything on his pads, and his leg doesn't feel hot like it's swelling up or anything. I'll probably just watch him tomorrow and pace him. A lot of indoor games I guess :rolleyes:

He is really getting more muscles in his hind quarters and chest area. He probably just pulled something in his leg.

My two have each had foot sprains in the last month - Fergus just from hooning, and Kirra from an awkward landing after I gave her a late call in agility.

If he's not fully weight bearing on it, I'd be giving him not more than about 24 hours, and then going to the vet for a check. In both my dogs, the injury seemed to clear up, but then flared up again a week or so later - so I felt bad for not taking them in straight away. (Bear in mind, I'm a worry wart, and my vets love me, since I've paid for extensions, holidays ....... :rolleyes: )

Fergus had his foot bandaged to immobilise the toe for a week, with anti-inflams, and resticted, controlled activity for about a month.

Kirra has a tape around her back foot, just above the pads, to keep the offending toe from moving too much while it heals. Vet said it's what he would do for greyhounds!

Kirr

I would ease up on the excercise. When they pull just a muscle, this helps to rapidly heal it up.

also if you run your hands over the leg he should let you know where it is tender and you can see what area it is in and if it is swollen ot whatever.

If you don't see a difference in a day or two you might want to call your vet.

Good luck and Godspeed in his healing.

Hoku has pulled up lame a couple of times after big play days (usually from playing with his dog pals), but he's always been ready to go the next day, no limping. We take it easy for a day or two, and then back to the normal amount of fun. Hope Black Jack feels better soon, Hoku sends him a big windmill wag :rolleyes:

Well today he seems to be all better. But I did take it easy on him. Not an easy task since he's starting to love playing so much :rolleyes:

When I let him out of his crate this morning he didn't limp on it or anything. I'll watch it for a few days and see. So far no swelling yet.

Thanks for the good wishes guys, they do help :D

Black Jack is doing a lot better now. He hasn't been limping on it since Wednesday. I have been slowly throwing the frisbee more and more. It was hard to not let him play as much as he wanted to the day after he got hurt. I had to put up this picture for you guys, it sums up what he felt like

How can you not feel bad for not playing with a face like this?

IMGP0196.jpg

really? that's weird. It came up on the preview post. I'll try again

Ok, here it is again. It better come up this time

IMGP0196.jpg

For some reason it takes a second to load the picture.

Ok, thanks. I will get this photo thing figured out

IMGP0196.jpg

Ok I made it look just like you said. http://i134.photobucket.com, and so on, so why doesn't it come up? On the preview post thing it comes up and I can see it. So why can I see it when no one else can? Sorry I'm so slow on this picture thing. I think I get it, then I don't. :eek:

ETA: ok, ok sorry I read your post wrong. It's late, ok? I'll try it again. :eek:

Really? I got it right :rolleyes: and even at ten o'clock at night. lol.

Yeah, he was pretty bummed because he couldn't play as much. But he's back to normal now. It's funny, when I first got him he didn't really act all that much like a BC, but now he's starting to more and more every day.

Don't ask me why, but I can see all three versions of the picture, and they don't take any time to load!

Poor frisbee addict...he looks sooo sad! I'm glad it's all back to normal.

Oh good - I can see all 3 too - does that make me special too? :rolleyes:

Glad Black Jack seems to be fine. Just keep an eye on him for a while to make sure the problem doesn't come back. That's what happened with my Kirra.

Knock on wood (we say 'touch wood') - my two foot patients are doing fine. I think Fergus's front paw ligament damage is healing well - he seems to be able to hoon around with no problem.

Kirra's supportive tape came off her rear foot yesterday, and she seems fine. I checked with my vet, who says she can get back into training gradually, but no sharp turns for a while. He also said it's probably worth taping the foot again to support the tendon and joint while we're training - for a few weeks anyway, to try to prevent re-injury.

Originally posted by Anda:

quote:
Originally posted by sandra s.:

Don't ask me why, but I can see all three versions of the picture, and they don't take any time to load!

Well, Sandra, I've always known you're 'special' LOL I think it's more a case of my computer having a laugh. Refusing to show pictures apparently gets old after a while :rolleyes: ! But at least Barb can see them too! :D

I'm going to have to take him into the vet next week I guess. His leg is still hurting him some. Mainly at night, I think it's because he has time to think about it. But the last few nights he has been limping on it. I know it can't be anything to bad but I better have it checked.

Do you guys know what I can do to take some of the pain away for him? I have quit playing with him outside to much, we pretty much play with soft toys in the house. Thanks.