BC Boards

"Touch." Best Command Ever.

A few years ago, I decided to teach Buddy to show the world how smart he was by having him touch toys as I identified them by name. Touch squeaker, touch bone, etc.. This was fine, but I never really followed through with the training as I intended to.

However, the "touch" command has been one of the handiest things I've ever taught a dog. When Buddy stands and stares at me and whines, I know he wants something - but I often have no clue what. But now, if I say "touch," Buddy will go to the thing he wants and tap it with his paw. If he wants me to open the toy storage chest so he can take out a bone, he'll tap the chest. If he wants me to play hide and sqeak with his squeaker toy, he'll tap the squeaker.

It really is the coolest thing - a way of conducting a conversation with the dog. Every time Buddy "asks" me for something, I'm just tickled. :rolleyes:

Mary

That's cool Mary! I have thought of teaching Black Jack or Teebo that but I just haven't yet. I'm one of those people that never can have a perfect sit or down command. It can always be better :rolleyes: How did you teach Buddy to do it? Black Jack will tell you to "stop" when your playing tug or going for his feet by putting his paw on your hand and looking at you. I love it everytime he does it.

I also like the 'Touch' command for recall. I'm trying to get Truman to touch my hand with his nose when he's recalled to make coming to me more of a game. That way, instead of calling him just to re-leash him, he'll race back, touch my hand, and be let to go again. I was afraid he'd start thinking that leashing is the only thing he gets!

A very useful command; congratulations. As for me, I am going through a frustrating experience trying to train Annie as to what "AWAY" means. She knows how to go and pick out every toy in her toy basket and bring then to DW or me, and even selects them by name (when asked). But she can't seem to grasp the concept of putting them away. When the day comes that I can say "AWAY" and she picks up her toys and puts them back in her basket, THEN I'll be impressed with her intelligence. (Of course, I never had any success with teaching my kids the concept, so I don't know why I expect my dog to be any different...)

A very useful command; congratulations. As for me, I am going through a frustrating experience trying to train Annie as to what "AWAY" means. She knows how to go and pick out every toy in her toy basket and bring then to DW or me, and even selects them by name (when asked). But she can't seem to grasp the concept of putting them away. When the day comes that I can say "AWAY" and she picks up her toys and puts them back in her basket, THEN I'll be impressed with her intelligence. (Of course, I never had any success with teaching my kids the concept, so I don't know why I expect my dog to be any different...)

Ha,ha, ha! I'd LOVE that too! Please tell me if you teach your kids that one as well :rolleyes:

My dog who passed away not to long ago, understood the "show me" command. We would say "show me" and he would show us what he wanted (i.e. going for a walk, going outside, getting a ball or toy he could not reach, wanting a treat, needing more water, etc.). Sammy loved cheese so much and one time, shortly before he passed away, a piece feel out of my sandwich and some how made it onto a stack of cardboard boxes ( I did not know it at the time). He kept staring in that direction and then at me. I could not figure out what he wanted. So my dad said, say "show me" to him. I said "show me" and sure enough he kept poking his nose at the boxes where I finally saw a piece of cheese smaller than the size of a dime!

I miss him so much :rolleyes:

Mary, I agree. It is a great command! You could have a lot of fun with it. You have a smart dog on your hands! :D

We use the "show me" command with Scooter too. He'll either go to what it is he wants or stare at it till we understand. When he wants to play "get your (insert name of toy)", he does a sweeping motion with his head, looking from toy to toy. Stare at the remote if he wants the t.v. on or off. Rarely have any trouble figuring out what he wants..or doesn't! :rolleyes:

One more use for the touch command, gratefully learned from Nan Arthur's book Chill Out Fido. First, teach the dog to touch your hand, then bring in other people and have the dog touch their hands. This is part of learning to greet people politely instead of going nuts and jumping all over them. Ruby will go up to anyone who holds their palm out flat in front of her, and touch them. The reward is GETTING PETTED!!!! Someday I expect she will just approach people calmly, even if they aren't holding their palm out to her. But for now it is heaven!

Kathy Robbins

My blind dog is a terrible wandererabouter. I've been working with Skipper on a "Go Get Tex" command. Skip is getting the idea slowly and I figure it will come in handy on those days where Tex is determined to go walkabout ( usually windy days when he cant hear me so well)

Thanks for the idea of teaching a touch command. Skip sure is pretty but he's a bit daft. I'll try and break it down into a smaller concept for him.

With us is "Where is ....?" And he goes and either brings us the object or shows us where the person is :rolleyes: Touch works as well when the object is in plain view. The more obvious, the more powerful the touch - which is actually a push, as in "Here is it, can't you see it?!"

Be prepared how after you teach the dog to "touch" your palm, it generalizes into a sort of congenial polite nose bump against your hand or thigh when they want your attention or are excited to be with you. Love how Vala does that!

I'm interested if anyone can say how to teach the targeting touch. Vala only does the touching me thing so far. :rolleyes: Of course she's still afraid of the clicker...

OK. Question about the Touch/Show Me commands:

Those of you who have dogs that know either/or, how do you handle it if your dog(s) are begging for something, say treats, but you don't want to give them any. Do you just tell the dog no or do you handle it some other way so as not to discourage them from using the Touch or Show Me command in the future when it's really needed?

I'm interested if anyone can say how to teach the targeting touch. Vala only does the touching me thing so far. :rolleyes: Of course she's still afraid of the clicker...

Here is a pretty good explanation: http://www.raisingspot.com/training/clicke...et_exercise.php

You can use a clicker as in the description, or just say "yes" and then treat.

I agree with the original poster, "touch" is on of the most versatile things to have on cue. Seems there is always a new use for it. The fact that your dog uses it to express so much is some pretty abstract thinking, of understanding a concept rather than just showing cued behaviors. *Very* cool!

B.

Bustopher... when you say away... does your border collie go off to the left of you? heh heh... you are after all talking to a border collie who sometimes just seem to know the herding type command words, and away is one of those! maybe you should try put up the toys.

Lewie'sMom,

What we did with Sammy when it came to treats was reward him once so that it did not discourage him and then we taught him the "all gone" command. He eventually caught on to how many times it was ok to push for a treat. I guess the "all gone" command would be similar to "that will do".

OK. Question about the Touch/Show Me commands:

Those of you who have dogs that know either/or, how do you handle it if your dog(s) are begging for something, say treats, but you don't want to give them any. Do you just tell the dog no or do you handle it some other way so as not to discourage them from using the Touch or Show Me command in the future when it's really needed?

Lewie'sMom,

What we did with Sammy when it came to treats was reward him once so that it did not discourage him and then we taught him the "all gone" command. He eventually caught on to how many times it was ok to push for a treat. I guess the "all gone" command would be similar to "that will do".

That makes sense. Until you said that I'd forgotten that my first BC from many years ago understood my open palms and "all gone".

They are so dang smart, aren't they!?