BC Boards

Not allowed in public park???

ejano

As the fields are frozen and snow covered, I decided to go walk around the gravel track at the town's pubic park the other day. This is a neighborhood park with a ball field, and playground equipment for children. Imagine my surprise when I saw a BIG sign saying NO DOGS, ALCOHOL, PROFANITY, GRAFFITI, ...and PARENTS MUST SUPERVISE THEIR CHILDREN..

Well, Robin and I walked anyway -- I have neuropathy in my feet from the chemotherapy and he helps me keep my balance. He isn't officially a service dog and probably never will be, though I do have a handicapped plate. I denied him the opportunity to so much as piddle on a post and he's much more well behaved than most children I know. He's also a very friendly dog. Also, there was no one there...

What kind of a fight am I in for if we should return and someone decide to complain?

Liz

At least one of our local parks that we use to frequent quite often had a 'no dog area.' The problem was the trail cut right through it and the only other way around was to go up to a road that had no shoulder...who's plan was that :rolleyes:

So we just always walked quickly through, very short least, with NO piddling, sniffing, playing, or other doggy behavior. No one ever said anything to us, but one day we did see someone with a small dog who was sunbathing in the grassy area and a park person approached them and told them they needed to move outside of the 'no dog area.' Although he said nothing to us as we went marching by. Best of luck; I'd probably politely rebel until something was said to me :D

There's an $85.00 ticket in my town if you get caught by a police officer, animal control personnel or parks dept. employee in a posted no dogs area.

Ouch....thats expensive ! :D It amazes me that someone that really cares about public property and picks up after their dogs is always harrassed and the ones who let their dogs run wild off leash and poo all over the place , never gets a second look from the parks dept. :rolleyes:

Walking in one of the nature trails that allow leashed dogs , we came upon a family with small kids who were screaming and yelling at the top of their lungs . It was horrible ! Even the dogs were unnerved by them. So much for the nature hike !

I know our dogs were very well behaved and not a peep out of any or them while on the trails. We commented as we walked by with dogs very close to our sides that it was a nature trail and not a carnival . ( nothing against kids , but damn ! :rolleyes: )

The parents unfortunatley pointed out the poo that was left by uncaring dog owners and said they shouldnt have to sidestep every couple of feet . This nature trail was specifically set aside for dog owners to walk their dogs , leashed of course . We treasure having such a beautiful place and care for it accordingly , but their are some people who feel its somebody elses job to pick up their dogs poo.

I dont think we will have a society that can accomidate both dog owners and non dog owners and the people who actually give a damn.

Well , carry no ID and dont give your name, but they can take you into custody though :D

But as long as no pee/poop and your dog doesnt grafitti anything...."whats the harm" I say .

I think if anything , you would be given a verbal warning.

I think that's true some of the time, but one guy that I know had it backfire on him in a big way. He refused to produce ID, and the Parks employee said he was in violation and she was going to impound his dog.

He had put the dog on leash and she took hold of the leash. He got angry and yanked it away form her and took off, pitbull in tow. (The dog had far better manners than his owner, I used to wonder how such cranky, reactive person could have such a well-behaved and well-adjusted dog...) He ran off to an undeveloped area of the park lands and they actually sent a helicopter after him! Apparently the Parks employee had called it an assault when he grabbed the leash. He got away and seemed really pleased with himself. I personally think they were both behaving like jerks.

I used to run my dogs in that park all the time and all I ever got told was to put them on lead occasionally. I never took them on weekends or holidays - too many screeching kids! (My dogs didn't mind but I feel the same way about screaming kids as I do about barking dogs.) :rolleyes:

I have gotten a ticket before in other areas of my town though.

Could you contact the municipality, explain your situation, and request permission to bring your "assistance dog" for walks with you in the park?

That's probably what I would do. Even though the dog isn't certified, if the dog provides you with balance, your dog is still providing you with a service.

I'm not saying to lie or anything - just make it clear that you are not just taking your pet for a walk, but that the dog is helping you to balance. Wouldn't hurt to ask, anyway.

I think that's true some of the time, but one guy that I know had it backfire on him in a big way. He refused to produce ID, and the Parks employee said he was in violation and she was going to impound his dog.

He had put the dog on leash and she took hold of the leash. He got angry and yanked it away form her and took off, pitbull in tow. (The dog had far better manners than his owner, I used to wonder how such cranky, reactive person could have such a well-behaved and well-adjusted dog...) He ran off to an undeveloped area of the park lands and they actually sent a helicopter after him! Apparently the Parks employee had called it an assault when he grabbed the leash. He got away and seemed really pleased with himself. I personally think they were both behaving like jerks.

I used to run my dogs in that park all the time and all I ever got told was to put them on lead occasionally. I never took them on weekends or holidays - too many screeching kids! (My dogs didn't mind but I feel the same way about screaming kids as I do about barking dogs.) :rolleyes:

I have gotten a ticket before in other areas of my town though.

Yep , if you have no ID , they can take you into custody and your dog will be sent to the pound. But for anyone to take that type of action , the offender had to have been acting or doing something obsurd. To even waste gas using the copter to find this dude if all he did was grab the leash back from the parkie is just plain stupid. Tax money hard at work.. :D

Two jerks , just like you said. :D

Most dogs are better behaved then their owners ! LOL :D

Guest echoica
At least one of our local parks that we use to frequent quite often had a 'no dog area.' The problem was the trail cut right through it and the only other way around was to go up to a road that had no shoulder...who's plan was that :rolleyes:

So we just always walked quickly through, very short least, with NO piddling, sniffing, playing, or other doggy behavior. No one ever said anything to us, but one day we did see someone with a small dog who was sunbathing in the grassy area and a park person approached them and told them they needed to move outside of the 'no dog area.' Although he said nothing to us as we went marching by. Best of luck; I'd probably politely rebel until something was said to me :D

Our largest dog park has a similar problem. The main entrance is on leash before you get to the off leash area. The problem is that most dogs are so excited to get in there to play with the other dogs it is near impossible to walk them in on leash!

There's an $85.00 ticket in my town if you get caught by a police officer, animal control personnel or parks dept. employee in a posted no dogs area.

Ticket is over $200 here!

I think the reason for "no dogs" in public parks and ballgrounds, etc., is because parents don't like their children playing in dog poo (and I can't say that I blame them). Unfortunately, the irresponsible owners who don't pick up after their dogs make it a problem for everyone. I used to work in the Hampton Roads area of VA and take my dogs to work with me quite often so we could go to the beach at Phoebus. That was perfectly acceptable during the off season, but come beach season, no dogs allowed. And during the off season I saw quite a few examples of why dogs weren't allowed there when people were more likely to frequent the area. Sad.

J.

I too would like to say I never ignore "no dogs" signs...but I usually do...'nuff said.

This isn't exactly the same as a public park....but: years ago, I had a dog with an iliosoapsas (groin-area) muscle strain. Part of her rehab was that she was to walk on a hill, with the injured leg on the downhill side (to stretch it out). The ONLY consistent grade hill I could find anywhere was our high school soccer field. It was summer, so we had to go in early morning anyway; and nobody seemed to be using the field. But I was a bit paranoid, even though dog was leashed, potty bags were carried, and we certainly weren't on the playing surface. The main parking area had a sign that said "no dogs." The other side had a sign that said "no pets." So, of course, I always parked on the other side, ready to say to anyone who said anything to me: "Oh, but she's not a pet; she's a sports dog (agility), and this is part of her conditioning." But darn it all, I never got the chance to say it, cuz nobody ever bothered us!

diane

WAIT A MINUTE.

There is no law federal or state that requires any U.S citizen to carry ID. The law basically says you must adequately ID yourself to authorities. Citing your name, address is sufficient.

Well, the ID thing wouldn't work because most people in town know me and Robin (one of the hazards of living in the same small area all your life), plus my son is the database/IT manager for the county 911 center, so should the police run my vehicle plates, he'd know it in about thirty seconds.

I can't claim that they're restricting my use as a resident, because I haven't lived in town for years.

I do understand, as several of you pointed out, the health and safety issues associated with dogs and children and all it takes is one unfortunate incident to ruin everything, but I am a devotee of Thoreau and I do embrace civil disobedience on occasion. There's no reason why a responsible owner can't walk a leashed dog around a path that no one else happens to be using. As Root Bear points out, it is entirely possible to prove that Robin does help me balance ....even holding the leash helps to provide an alternate "brain-ground" connection and he's exactly the right height for me to reach my hand down if I need to plus if I start to tilt, I usually go to the left and he's in a good position to catch and stop me because my knee touches his shoulder and that provides the "connection" cue to straighten up. (I'm not banging into him by the way, just lightly touching him - he used to move away from it, but now he stays steady - amazing what they learn).

I just won't carry a flask or a can of aerosol spray in my "poo bag" :rolleyes: - and next time, I won't park right by the sign. :D.

Liz

WAIT A MINUTE.

There is no law federal or state that requires any U.S citizen to carry ID. The law basically says you must adequately ID yourself to authorities. Citing your name, address is sufficient.

No ,its not sufficient. They can "take you in" for that alone and/or being a public nusiance. Someone will have to come and get you with proper ID for you and him/her.

If they didnt do that , everybody could say I have no ID and what should the cops do , say Oh , no ID , you can go ?

The ONLY consistent grade hill I could find anywhere was our high school soccer field.

You play soccer on a hill? Doesn't the ball get away?

Ok, that's what I get for being succinct...too succinct, in this case.

The soccer field is recessed, with the slopes around the edge keeping the ball IN the field.

And just for the record, I've never played soccer in my life. THAT is a scary mental image....

Back to topic now, I guess..

diane

Well, the ID thing wouldn't work because most people in town know me and Robin (one of the hazards of living in the same small area all your life), plus my son is the database/IT manager for the county 911 center, so should the police run my vehicle plates, he'd know it in about thirty seconds.

I can't claim that they're restricting my use as a resident, because I haven't lived in town for years.

I do understand, as several of you pointed out, the health and safety issues associated with dogs and children and all it takes is one unfortunate incident to ruin everything, but I am a devotee of Thoreau and I do embrace civil disobedience on occasion. There's no reason why a responsible owner can't walk a leashed dog around a path that no one else happens to be using. As Root Bear points out, it is entirely possible to prove that Robin does help me balance ....even holding the leash helps to provide an alternate "brain-ground" connection and he's exactly the right height for me to reach my hand down if I need to plus if I start to tilt, I usually go to the left and he's in a good position to catch and stop me because my knee touches his shoulder and that provides the "connection" cue to straighten up. (I'm not banging into him by the way, just lightly touching him - he used to move away from it, but now he stays steady - amazing what they learn).

I just won't carry a flask or a can of aerosol spray in my "poo bag" :rolleyes: - and next time, I won't park right by the sign. :D.

Liz

Couldnt you have a doctor sign something stating that due to your health ,your dog does indeed help you keep your balance ? I think thats all that is needed for airlines to let your dog fly sitting in the seat next to you , so it should be sufficient for the Parks Dept. to allow you i the "no dogs allowed" area of the parks. Shouldnt it ?

We have a trail through our woods that anyone can use. There is a sign that says

Sled Team uses trail as hiway

Watch for Raptors

Please stay off perimeter fencelines- it disturbs the recovering predators

Sheep on Trail- "Don't mess wit da sheeps"

If you see Jesus, talk to him softly -LGD

We have never had a problem

Couldnt you have a doctor sign something stating that due to your health ,your dog does indeed help you keep your balance ? I think thats all that is needed for airlines to let your dog fly sitting in the seat next to you , so it should be sufficient for the Parks Dept. to allow you i the "no dogs allowed" area of the parks. Shouldnt it ?

I am thinking of doing that as it would certainly simplify the situation. I have a visit scheduled for early January, so I could discuss it then. This is a small public park, the only one in town and to have it entirely outlawed for someone walking a dog is just unfair. You can take them on on the Green (which has poo on it!) but that's County property, and of course, walk around town on the sidewalks. I generally go to the Green and on the sidewalks, but the snow was too deep on the Green and the sidewalks have salt on them. Winter....GRRRR!

This is a very small town -- we don't have a "Parks Dept" so the person that would come by would be the local police, and they hate dealing with dog issues...or most civil complaints -- in fact, anything that doesn't involve writing a speeding ticket is pretty much not in their job description. :rolleyes: But someone could eventually making a fuss to the borough council because that's what happens in a small town in the winter :D - just like someone could complain about me taking him into the library where we are now very much welcomed, so I pick my moments and go in when the library isn't too busy. The library staff all likes Robin and know why I have him with me, but if push came to shove, and someone complained, I'd not be able to take him in unless he was a declared service dog. I take him into the Post office, though for some reason, mail carriers don't seem to be too fond of dogs :D. He's welcomed at the bank with a biscuit, both in the drive through and inside and in several stores including Tractor Supply, the Garden Center, and the local Agway. Oh, and the ice cream stand, which actually sells doggie ice-cream, a small cup of vanilla with three doggie biscuits, but of course, they're closed for the winter. I've had him in Lowe's and of course, the pet stores. He's very good.

I'll report back - if I don't end up in the hoosegow :D.

Liz

Why not be the responsible party in this and simply go to the city and ask them why? Instead of being sneaky and lying about it be up front and honest. You may find that they have a very good reason to restrict the dogs from the park. Better to be the honest one than to get dog owners yet another black mark. And lying about him being a service dog...well, it's your conscious you have to deal with.

No ,its not sufficient. They can "take you in" for that alone and/or being a public nusiance. Someone will have to come and get you with proper ID for you and him/her.

If they didnt do that , everybody could say I have no ID and what should the cops do , say Oh , no ID , you can go ?

No, you can't be arrested for not carrying ID. :rolleyes: However, the police have the right, on reasonable suspicion, to briefly stop and question a person. The officer must be able to state the grounds for his/her "reasonable suspicion" later on. If, in the course of the brief interview, that reasonable suspicion grows into something more, the officer may take further action on that basis.