BC Boards

Why do dogs "kiss" differently?

Odin only gives "licky" kisses when he's very excited or when I specifically ask for that one.

Other than that, if you ask for a kiss he will just smack his lips and nose against yours - no licking. He will willingly lick your feet, arms legs, clothes, shoes, or even your pillow - but not your face.

My husband says that dogs give "licky" kisses because they're scavengng for food. That sounds odd, but oh well!

So why do dogs kiss differently?

I always wondered why dogs lick humans faces in greeting! They never seem to do that with other dogs, so why humans? In my research the most often thing that pops up is that as we domesticated the wolf to dogs, we stunted their social "wolf" growth. So, they react as wolf puppies, even though they are 10! Licking is a way of getting mom wolf to barf up their meal. Dogs are not looking for a meal, but it is the greeting of mom returning from a hunt. That's also a reason dog will play way into the last stages of their life. Dogs less socialized with humans will be less likely to do the licking of the face.

I think the licking all over is a border collie thing!

I've noticed that it isn't just different licking strategies amongst dogs, its different licking strategy toward different people in the same dog.

I spent so much time keeping Meg from nipping my nose that I disuaded her from licking me also. Now I have to pretend to lick her and then she'll kiss. But she will kiss and ear nibble and ear lick hubby whenever he says "Give me some love". If I say that she just puts he cheek to mine.

Oh my god, Zoe is the lickiest dog I've ever seen. My husband will just hold his hand out and stare in amazement as she frantically licks his entire hand, fingers, arm, knee.... whatever she can reach. She's crazy. O.O

Actually, Dixie Girl, the crate idea sounded intriguing, and DW and I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough room for the two of us, much less for the trapeze, the trampoline, the contortionist, and the Shetland Pony.

Oh, well... :rolleyes:

And while we're at it, let me remind you that it was YOU who brought up the licking. That is twisted, sick, and perverted; of course, being like that myself, I like that in a person...

Actually, Dixie Girl, the crate idea sounded intriguing, and DW and I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough room for the two of us, much less for the trapeze, the trampoline, the contortionist, and the Shetland Pony.

Bustopher, I just don't think you try hard enough! :rolleyes: