BC Boards

Potatoes

Is it OK to feed Meg potatoes? I mix her dry food with two boiled potatoes which she seems to love. Should I give them to her every day or just a few times a week ............or never........? Thank you.

Is it OK to feed Meg potatoes? I mix her dry food with two boiled potatoes which she seems to love. Should I give them to her every day or just a few times a week ............or never........? Thank you.

Potatoes are full of carbohydrates which dogs aren't really designed to digest efficiently.

Wouldn't do much harm except maybe be put on weight. Not very good for the teeth and adds to the volume of poo too. Wouldn't do any nutritional good either.

Pam

One of the dishes that DW makes very well is Yankee Pot Roast. We have given Annie little pieces of potato that was cooked in the broth, but she far prefers the baby carrots. Whatever we give her is in extreme moderation, and we have never seen any adverse effects.

Many commercial foods use potato as "filler" - as mentioned. I have used it in a specifically prepared diet for a dog with liver issues - and sometimes include them now, but overall a small percentage of total veggies (which some don't consider necessary anyway). My limited understanding is that they CAN help cleanse toxins - but that has to be a fairly small benefit in the big picture. Just be sure they're completely ripe, not green.

diane

Greenness in potatoes is not a matter of unripeness; it comes from exposure to light. But it can be toxic (or more precisely, it indicates the presence of the toxin solanine), so you're right that greenish parts of potatoes shouldn't be fed or eaten.

Solanine is an alkaloid that can cause sickness or even death. Potatoes would never have been allowed as a food if they were subjected to the modern approval process. I rarely give my dogs potatoes -- and then just cooked potatoes as a topper. I don't know of any value in giving dogs raw potato -- I wouldn't expect them to be able to digest it.

Raw potato is not digestable - the cellulose is too tough to break down even after being pureed. Raw white potatos can be poisonous. Raw sweet potatos just make pretty orange poop.

Cooked potatos can be part of a good diet, but should not be primary. Sweet potatoes offer more nutritionally in my opinion.

I've used the Dodds DVM recipe for recovering and sensitive dogs - cooked white and sweet potatos, white fish are base.