BC Boards

Haven't posted here for a while, been too busy herding rabbits :rolleyes:

Sam is doing really well, he will be 1yr old at the end of next month (30th November) and is maturing into a lovely loyal dog.

I love Sam to bits and wouldn't change the way he is for the world, however no matter how much time i spend with him outdoors, and no matter how much i stimulate him mentally, he continually follows me around the house even if i go to the toilet its difficult to go without him sticking his head through the middle of my legs and looking up at me!

He sleeps with us on the bed, change the quilt cover regularly and he's short haired which is very convenient, and i wake up during the night sometimes and he is between my wife and me laying on his back, with his pawas up in the air, legs wide open like a frog, with his head on the pillow laying next to me!

The other day was a perfect example, we had a water leak which resulted in damaged flooring upstairs, i had to take the whole flooring up in the bedroom and all that was left was the main joists, he decided he wanted to follow me around the house, to the garage to get all my tools, then back up the stairs and he even walked accross the joists (perfectly balanced like a cat and luckily he didn't fall through the ceiling!) and ended up laying down near me on a piece of solid floor watching me work and then eventually went to sleep next to me on the floor whilst i was working.

Even as i am typing here, he is asleep under my PC desk with his head on my feet, I started to think it was because he was after things like walks etc., however some of you will probably recall, i take Sam on daily bike rides, sometimes 8 mile round trips all cross country, he runs with me and enjoys chasing pheasants and rabbits etc., however as soon as i call him off he recalls immediately, and doesn't do it to hurt the animals, as when he catches up which he sometimes manages, he just stops and looks at them...

Just wondering if anybody elses dog won't leave them alone in the house? It is as though he has given his life to me and wants to serve me 24/7....

This isn't meant to be one of those 'my dog is the most loyal dog in the world' posts, i'm just curious to see if all border collies are this possessive....

I've had mainly bitches (BC's) in the past, when i was a kid with my parents, and never experienced anything quite like this....

I know what you mean. It still amazes me how Cody can hear me go into the bathroom and be in position to get his back scratched before I even realize he has appeared. I also think it is funny - I am so used to the dogs being close - that if all of a sudden I realized they are not within an arms length I wonder what is up. Usually means they have found a spot in the sun. But you better not move - if you move it ruins their sunbathing and they have to check out what is up. They are not a nuisance - they just want to help and do not want to miss a thing.

Now that our Samantha is older, hard of hearing, and sleeps a lot, she stays put a lot more. Shoshone still follows me from room to room, not immediately anymore, but if I don't come back within a few minutes, she finds me and picks her spot to settle in. She was really sick this last July with some sort of bacterial infection, and the thing that clued me in was that she didn't move from her cushion in the living room for over 4 hours.

We have a border kitty, Angel, who likes to visit me in the bathroom, which is not very roomy. Buzz would follow 'his' kitty in, then Samantha would trot in to see what all the fun was. Never a dull moment . . .

Ruth

My Colt will also turn one the end of Nov. I have never had such a pal as I have in this dog. He is the most attentive, adoring, willing to do anything, go anywhere pup I have ever encountered and although he loves up the whole family and plays with everyone, my kids and husband all say I have a special place in his heart. He does spend 90% of his time with me so not surprising.

I think this is simply border collies.

I've had mainly bitches (BC's) in the past, when i was a kid with my parents, and never experienced anything quite like this....

There is a good chance it was because you weren't theirs to follow everywhere! I've noticed, with my dog and with my foster dogs they tend to follow the one they trust, learn from, get food from etc. the most. BC's were bred to work with and be with a human, so I think it's kind of natural for them to follow us around the house. My foster dogs are never bc's, I'm not that lucky, but they do follow me around, usually looking for food, but not as avidly as my bc. Daisy will tirelessly follow me every where I go. Even if she's sleeping and I leave the room, she's in hot pursuit! If she can't enter the room I go into, like the bathroom, she will lay right in front of the door and wait for me to exit. She is always right by my side. Well, unless someone else has food.

Meg too is a 'velcro' lady. Not quite to the same extreme as Sam but she follows me everywhere, sleeps on the sofa beside me, sleeps on my bed ,wants to come in the car with me.

However i can leave her in the house alone where she behaves very well. Also she settles in kennels , no problem, for which I am very thankful.

She is quite good at the 'stay' command and a few times a day I tell her to stay and not follow me. I think this is good for her not to rely on me all the time.

I think it just depends on the dog and breed, not necessarily that it is common to just one breed. Paps are this way too generally and I've heard dobes are this way too. If I'm somewhere, my dogs are there too. I get up and they get up to go with me. I do have to lock them out of the bathroom because they've tried getting into the shower with me before. They're very clingy and likewise even without really training them to be offlead they'll stick right next to me. At the dog park I have to sometimes force them to explore a bit because they'd just like to stay right with me. My shelties were never like that nor were my labs or my GSD. I haven't had a bc yet so I can't compare there!

I can't think of any of my dogs who haven't wanted to be by me, given the choice. They settle nicely if I'm staying in one place but will get up and follow me when I leave the room, unless it is pretty late at night and they're sleeping soundly. At some point, they wake up and find me and settle nearby. I'd say of all the dogs I've had, the two Lhasas were the most possesive -- in the sense of usually wanting to sleep on my lap or right up against me. But even the current Lhasa will go lie on the floor like a dog from time to time. :rolleyes:

My dog is rarely outside the room I'm in. If I'm on my computer, he wants to play "find the toy" with me, and he'll come in the room and very insistently toss a toy against the floor, asking me to come in the room with the blanket on the floor, so he can lie down comfortably.

And yes, the toilet. What better place to get your butt rubbed than where your human is frozen for a few minutes?

If I go to my parents' house, where I actually have to close the bathroom door, the dog stands right outside, and I can hear him snorting and snuffling at the crack under the door, as if to be sure he has frequent updates on my position. :rolleyes:

Mary

I haven't been to the bathroom alone - either at my house or any of my friends' houses - in eleven years. 'Nuff said. :D

:D

I haven't been to the bathroom alone since I got Alex. And, even when he's not physically following me, I can feel his eyes following my every move. :rolleyes: It's ok, I love him a lot, too.

If I go to my parents' house, where I actually have to close the bathroom door, the dog stands right outside, and I can hear him snorting and snuffling at the crack under the door, as if to be sure he has frequent updates on my position. :D

Mary

Funny you should say that, as obviously there are times when one just needs to be on there own to relax, and the lavatory is one of them!

Sam is exactly the same as you describe your dog, if i close the door, he will constantly try and put his nose under the door and you can hear him let out a loud 'sniff' and then all you hear is his bodyweight drop to the floor, and then half an hour later when you open the door he is laid there asleep and i have to step over him to get out of the bathroom door! :rolleyes: He will then roll over onto his back and want his belly rubbed!

Not to be a spoil sport or anything, but don't you guys own any dog crates? I guess I equate this to never letting my kids follow me around like that either. There is a door on the bathroom at my house and also on the bedroom. There's nothing wrong with having personal space and I've never felt that my kids or dogs need to be constantly entertained by me.

Laura

Not to be a spoil sport or anything, but don't you guys own any dog crates? I guess I equate this to never letting my kids follow me around like that either. There is a door on the bathroom at my house and also on the bedroom. There's nothing wrong with having personal space and I've never felt that my kids or dogs need to be constantly entertained by me.

Laura

Colt is not in the least bit a space invader and has no need for constant entertainment. In fact he has excellent boundaries. Takes no for an answer regardless of what we're doing. No need for a crate. If I tell him I am working he will go off and lie down or go find something to do on his own. Thing is I take Colt with me almost everywhere and I enjoy his constant companionship because he is this way.

Not to be a spoil sport or anything

Oops! Too late.

I *think* we were just trying to have a light-hearted, tongue in cheek, joking around kind of thread about our dogs, but I'll be sure to put mine in a crate next time I have to go to the bathroom. :rolleyes:

Oops! Too late.

I *think* we were just trying to have a light-hearted, tongue in cheek, joking around kind of thread about our dogs, but I'll be sure to put mine in a crate next time I have to go to the bathroom. :rolleyes:

oops - have i missed something here?

Even though this is mostly a lighthearted thread, and my dogs do generally hang out in whatever room I'm in and do sometimes come in the bathroom (I generally shut the door, but Boy practically lives in the bathroom and at his advanced age is allowed to--though a strategically placed cold nose can be something of a shock), they don't constantly follow me everywhere I go. They sense if I'm getting ready to go outside and will all jump up and go to the door and if it looks like I'm heading to the pasture, they will go to the gate, but they don't shadow me constantly. I have had dogs here who are *constantly* under foot. Not just with me, but practically tripping me if I turn around and irritating me because I'm always stepping on them. I don't care what breed of dog it is, I don't want so much of a shadow that it's underfoot and threatening to break my neck by accidentally tripping me. I think that's probably the situation Laura L is speaking to. With dogs who are constantly underfoot, I find a crate quite helpful.

J.

Harlow is my first dog and I thought all dogs were like this....she follows me around everywhere I go, room to room, very good off lease...glad to know other Borders are like this, they are a VERY unique, awesome breed

While I do think Border Collies are wonderful, I personally don't find they are more likely to want to be around people than many other types of dogs. I've only had Lhasas, Shelties and a couple of mixes but they also liked to be in the same room with me, will rest their head on my foot as I sit at a computer and have been known to wait for me to exit the shower. I have friends with other breeds that are just the same. I don't think that is something that makes Border Collies stand out.

As far as crating, if the dogs were on top of me all the time, I'd look at the behavior as similar to an insecurely attached toddler. But I don't see the problem with the dogs staying near as I move from one room to another during the day. In the evening, they are slower to get up when I do. Like much of living with dogs, it depends on what you want and are comfortable with. Some people look with horror at dogs on the sofa or bed or even in the house. I'm not one of them and I also don't mind the dog wanting to be in the same room with me. Constantly wanting my attention or always asking me to play with him -- that is a different story and not something I put up with. I guess those are my boundaries.

I usually take 2 or 3 dogs to work with me too, but they all have an off switch and don't bombard me or anyone else with toys wanting to play or come in the bathroom with anyone either. At home all 6 dogs can be out at a time without anyone feeling like they're being constantly followed. The dogs can be on the couches on the chairs, sleeping in the bathroom or out on the front porch. I have one dog who always sleeps on the bed with the cat and me, two others on a sleeping bag in the corner. I guess I wasn't getting the light-hearted part of the discussion. Call it an internet thing.

Laura

Some people look with horror at dogs on the sofa or bed or even in the house.

My work colleagues are like this as well. I was raised with dogs since a toddler and grew up knowing that dogs shared the same facilities as we did i.e., couch, bed etc.,

I love my dog on the bed with me, and it feels really nice if i wake in the early hours and find Sam in between my legs curled up asleep, he is like another member of our family.

However, my work colleagues don't see it like that, they think its disgusting to have a dog upstairs, least of all on the bed! Some of you may also think this is revolting, but i love kissing Sam on the side of his nozzle just before you hit the wet bit of his lips! Also the top of his nozzle just above his nose, i've allways kissed dogs and enjoy it, and don't see a problem with it, although when i first got sam, he had worms, and due to him coming from a farm, the vet discouraged close contact with him, i couldn't believe what i was hearing, as i had allways had close contact with dogs, i guess you take your chances in life with everything....

When people worry about dog hairs, etc., on the bed or furniture I just wonder to myself what they'd think if they know what's allowed in all the processed and pre-packaged foods they eat on a regular basis. At least the dog and cat hairs are dirt I know personally....

My dogs are like Laura L's--they're all in the house with me hanging out, but none are shadowing me everywhere I go.

J.