BC Boards

Keeping old dogs working?

Covelo Dogs

Keep an eye on them and make sure they don't over do it. And be pretty sure that they'll be able to handle what you give them to do. Adding fish oil or a different supplement might help - you might try "cetyl- m advance" or "joint strong" (which has worked really well for my 10 y/o). I would also talk to your vet about keeping pain meds on hand so if they are obviously sore on occasion you'll have something on hand to give them.

I let my dog do easy work and she just loves it. I know I'll keep setting up easy jobs so she can work for as long as possible. She loves to work and is so happy afterwards.

Have you started looking for a younger replacement yet? I would rather get a dog before I need it so we have some time to get used to each other and build a bit of a relationship before I need the dog to take over on the chores.

Maralynn,

The dogs in question are 12 and 10. I always have Rimadyl on hand and they get fish oil and vitamins. The older only gets light work or when I am lambing,

she is the best for that. The other gets all other work. I watched her sister at the Nationals and at 10 is still competing and winning (Meeker). I hate to treat just the pain after working and the Cosequin was recommended by my vet.

Since both want only to work it would be nice if I can satisfy them. They get a couple of miles a day of excercise and at this point work them only when needed, but they would both like to work more.

I have two others 11 months and 22 months. Both are with trainers right now and will not be back for awhile.

Thank you for suggestions,

Suki

Suki,

I'm a total no-nothing as far as working dogs, but I wonder if something a physical therapist once told me might not be helpful for your dogs. The guy said to take anti inflammatories, (the over the counter kind) before doing something you knew would make you sore. It keeps the inflammation from getting as bad/painful and is actually better all around for the body than taking them when inflammation is already full blown.

You might want to check with your vet, but giving them some medication before they work, when you know there's a good chance they'll be sore afterwards, could be a good thing.

Ruth

Tess gets "Total Joint Care" (TJC) and Metacam (as needed). The TJC has done wonders for her. I have been using the young ones, Sava and Rainey to do chores but apparently sometimes Tess thinks I need help and will climb/jump over a four foot fence to help. She will run just as fast as the youngins. She also gets Energy Edge on the days she runs/works/is very active.

I also take her to a chiro and give her massages. Sometimes acupunture too.

She keeps fit by bringing back the ball and swimming....I keep telling her she is old but she refuses to believe me.

I asked my vet about her and he said to keep her fit, on supplements and massage and Metacam as needed. He is amazed how fit she is at over 11 years. Not having a major injury is key too.

Diane

I had to think about this befroe answering. It;'s a tough question but looking at it from the dogs point of view all of them without exception wanted to continue working even after they reached a pooint where they were no longer able to work. All I can suggest is to make them as comfortable as possible, pain killers, other eds and let them work. Aftre all it is their life.

I do some of the things mentioned here....

Fish oil: yes

Adequan: yes yes

Medacam: yes....use ahead of the pain, not after/during the fact. If I can predict hard work, I will start Medacam a couple of days in advance.

Synovi-G3: yes

Also, not mentioned...I feed a high protein diet with added fat...it seems to help with stamina.

For conditioning...lots of easy jogging. I also plan where I need my older dog's skills most....use the youngster to do the rest.

I also take advantage of dog chiropractor when it seems needed....you can see when your dog is stiff.

Y'all probably know - I don't "work" my dogs, on sheep at least. But my primo agility dog is now 13 yr 8 mo - and just ran a few easy runs at a national event. No wins - but as you say, she WANTS to run, and still is able - after major liver surgery in June! Everything seems to be doing well now - so we'll keep on keepin' on, as long as possible.

She also gets fish oil, glucosamine/Cosequin DS and vitamins on her raw diet. I do my own version of massage, get a "real" one when I can, swim her when weather permits, and lots of easy walking.

My holistic/pain management vet put her on two things, which I think have helped (no dramatic improvement, but both are inexpensive, so I'm doing it): Hyaluronic acid, in the form of Hyaflex, a liquid that can be squirted onto food; and CanEVA. The latter comes in capsules for humans, and powder for dogs - but the powder goes EVERYWHERE, and the human capsule can be dredged in something yummy and swallowed without a powder storm. One or both's websites may say they're available only thru a vet....tisn't true - I order both on-line (from other than the company). Ask your vet about these.

Just my two suggestions....

diane

I have a couple of older dogs that I need to keep working. Because they want to and I still need them. Any suggestions? They are on Cosequin and that has helped. Both are in decent shape but the age shows and I would really like them to be comfortable, if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Suki

I have a dog that loves agility and has hip dysplasia. I give him cosequin and previcox daily. You can not tell by looking at him while he is running agility that he has hip dysplasia. But if I do not keep him on meds then at night after he has been laying down when he gets up he is stiff and sometimes limps. The human cosequin is cheaper and my vet said it would be okay to use. It is called Cosamin DS - it is made by the same manufacturer. And you can get it at Costco and most drug stores. Anyway, the agility has helped Baxter stay fit and avoid hip surgery for several years. He is almost five years old and was diagnosed at 8 months. He does jump at a lower height of 16 inches instead of 22 inches. I had hoped he would be interested in herding as he would be able to participate in that longer, but he just sniffed the sheep and ate poo. They found him to be no threat at all - should have been an LGD. I think with arthritis that some exercise is good and keeps everything moving well, but it is important not to over do it.

Mel

I wanted to thank everyone who answered. I have an appointment for three dogs tomorrow at vets. Hopefully all will go smoothly, as some of you know it is at times hard to make a vet understand about a working dog. She is a good vet but expensive and will charge me for three visits even though all dogs will be examined at same time. Sorry for venting, but with eight dogs these exams add up!

Thanks again for advise. I have used Adeqan before with good results but never as part of a matinence.

Suki