BC Boards

Both Pups Due To Be Fixed On The 23rd...

My two pups Popcorn and Pepper, go in on the 23rd to be fixed.

And I am I such a nervous wreck!

More so for Pepper as she has had so many problems and also because the spay is more complicated a surgery than a neuter is.

But were the rest of you like this?

I certainly was a wreck, both times. Both of my dogs did fine. For Kipp, I got all the blood work, etc. that was available. My husband is very especially fond of Kipp and if anything preventable had happened to him, my husband would have been totally devastated. When Tess was spayed, she'd just had kennel cough and so had already had blood work, chest x-ray, the works.

I do not necessarily think you are completely sane for raising two puppies at the same time :rolleyes: but you are wise to have them both out of comission for the same week or so for recovery! It is awful when one dog can play and the other can't.

This is a good link for stuff to do with recovering doggies: http://www.lauriebryce.com/tplo/games2.html

Allie + Tess & Kipp

Originally posted by Allie+Tess&Kipp:

I do not necessarily think you are completely sane for raising two puppies at the same time :rolleyes: but you are wise to have them both out of comission for the same week or so for recovery! It is awful when one dog can play and the other can't.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

You are probably right..lol. We do know that we definately don't want anymore puppies here though! :D

And yes that's why we are having them done at the same time. They can each have a nice quiet week. Thank the lord for crates!

Oh- And thank you so much for the fabulous dog tricks site!

I was a nervous wreck when we had Speedy neutered. Even though we knew the neuter is relatively simple . . . still.

I was glad that Sammie and Maddie were already altered when we adopted them!

Yes. These are my babies and I can't wait until it's over. I'm a worry wart anyhow- but this is killing me..lol.

Oh Beth, Hugs, I am in the same boat as you. My Roxie is getting Spayed the same day and my sister's Gus.

I keep Gus every after noon from lunch until dinner while she works.

I am nervous about it as well. I am off to check out the link now. We will all make it through this.

Must be a good day to get a snip! Zag is also getting a nip and tuck on the 23rd. He is also getting his rear dew claws removed. Poor lil fella has no clue what is in store for him. I am a nervous wreck as well. I am wondering how the Hades i'm gonna keep him and Sydney from romping about. I swear it takes a 1/2 a seconds for them 2 to wind up! LOL

Usually they can. But sometimes it is safer not to neuter until later. I know a dog (was a puppy at the time) that nearly died because they had to keep him under for longer. Pretty scary. But I *think* that they will still neuter if you say to.

Good luck keeping pups calm! We all know its hard!

but you are wise to have them both out of comission for the same week or so for recovery!
Heheh! Well, that's the theory anyway. I had my two desexed on the same day at 9 (male) and 7 (female) months - working on the same principle. And I was on holidays at the time so I could keep an eye on them.

So, the very next day, while I was on the Net (dial-up), they squeezed through a tiny hole in the fence and went 100 yards down my drive onto the street to play with some children they had heard there! Thank goodness the children were dog-savvy, and got leads for them, and their mom rang the numbers on the dogs' collar tags - mine (engaged of course) and the vet, So when I got off the net, the phone rang and it was the vet office telling me that Fergus and Kirra had been found, and were safe :eek: . All of this when I thought they were having a nice rest somewhere!

Luckily, there were no burst stitches, and they were none the worse for their adventure. Needless to say, I fixed the hole in the fence, and watched them like hawks from then on. :rolleyes:

If Popcorn and Pepper were mine, I'd wait until I was sure there weren't any other health issues going on and they were both 100% before neutering. I would not let a vet do surgery on one of my dogs if there was a possibility of a contagious skin disease or a compromised immune system unless it was a life and death situation. They are both still only about 4-5 months old, right? Most vets will want to check bloodwork before doing a surgery - since you've had "issues" with health, if you do proceed this week, I'd insist on that just to make sure. But IMO, a couple of weeks to get the other issues straightened out, and to see if Pepper's testicles drop would not hurt. I'm also surprised your vet has not checked (palpated)or mentioned the "undropped testicles" issue to you in one of your vet visits. Neutering can be a much more complicated and expensive surgery if they are in the abdomen and the vet has to go searching for them. JMHO...

Ahh... well thanks for the heads up.

Pepper is coming along nicely on the Nutro. Vet says that it should most likely continue to fix her skin problems as she has responded so nicely to it already. And that the fur should grow back. Her diarrhea has been gone for almost two weeks and she is gaining back the weight nicely.

This food really agrees with her and keeps the colitis under control.

But yes I will ring the vet and have a talk with them about that stuff.

Yep...you feel nervous before...and terrible after the surgery...because your "kids" are not themselves for the first day or so.

Then..as others have mentioned...they'll want to play...and you've got to keep them quiet for around 10 days. With BC's....this is as easy as filling a swimming pool with an eye dropper. :rolleyes:

RE: the dropped testicle...Keg (BC/Lab mix) only had one that had dropped. The other, the doctor had to search for (he had to be cut in 4 different places before they found it).

Yes, it was more expensive than a regular neuter, but WAY cheaper than if we had waited until adulthood.

Essentially, muscle development, size/weight etc. all contribute to making the surgery far more difficult/involved as the dog ages...so it's better to pay $150 bucks now, rather than $1500 later.

Further to this, the chances of a dog with a non-descended testicle (and not neutered) developing testicular cancer are quite high.

I'm sure you'd rather have your boy around for 15 years, rather than having him die, painfully, at a much younger age.

I agree. I am so glad it is getting done. Plus, from I hear, it helps make their teenage mos easier on both them and their owners, when they are fixed young.