BC Boards

BC Deafness

nancyp

If anyone has done research on Late onset Deafness VS puppy deafness in the BC and would like to share info with me I would be greatful. Id like to know if your research was from personal experience or if you have info from a Professional Vet . at what age the difference is defined ... ANy info would be great . Feel free to e-mail me personally

Nancy8113@msn.com.

Thanks

Nancy Penley

Colorado

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no solid answers here, but it was something I was concerned about with Cindy after she was about 8 months old. I've had her checked by a vet more than once for hearing problems and it turned out to be a 'selective hearing' thing. She just plain responded to what interested her. I could call her for ten minutes and she's been in eyeshot of me. But when I changed to a softer, fainter voice and just said 'I'm going for a ride in the car', she ran in from 50 yards or more right to the car. She wasn't deaf at all, she just wasn't interested in what I wanted her for in the fist place.

Welcome, NancyP!

Are you doing research yourself or is this for personal information?

I have a dog that was BAER tested at about age 2, and her hearing was fine, but we noticed by about age 5 that she seemed to not hear very well. At this point, almost age 7, she seems to have lost most of her hearing but we have not had her professionally tested yet.

I don't know enough to say anything definitive, but there are lines of dogs that seem to have a propensity for adult-onset deafness, which would suggest a genetic component separate from the deafnesses caused by things like lack of pigmentation in the hair follicles of the inner ear.

J.

There is a study in progress at UC Davis. The contact information is at www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/requestform/ (that is to get a cheek swab kit to participate). Since I have not contacted them with regards to testing a dog like Megan who has not been confirmed deaf (or partially deaf) by a professional test, I am not sure what the requirements are to be part of the test.

There is an ongoing genetic study for early onset adult deafness at UCDavis.

I've been meaning to call the investigator to get an update but have been too distracted lately to make the call. I hope to get to this in a week or so.

I know of no ongoing Border Collie specific studies on puppy deafness, which is most likely linked to pigmenation (as Julie pointed out).

Mark

Mark - If you contact them before I do, would you find out what sort of "confirmation" they need of deafness? BAER? Other professional testing? Owner's observations?

I'm just not in a position to get Megan tested right now unless it's cheaper and closer than I am aware of. I'd like to do so, though.

Sue,

I won't be talking to the person who deals with the collection of samples. I tried to find a link to this study and my searching reminded me that the investigator was moving (away from UCDavis). I'd better make that phone call sooner than later.

Here is a link to the lab that was doing the research UCDavis: Veterinary Genetics Laboratory if you'd like to call them.

Mark

I have gone to the website listed for the genetic hearing loss research but have found nothing that "works" except to request a buccal sample kit. Most links that seem promising lead to dead ends. I did find a phone number and may try that later in the day when they are open.

If this is the same group that Melanie did research with, they would already have not only buccal samples but also blood samples for DNA analysis from Celt, Megan, and Bute. It would help if I could get a hold of them and inquire but the only email contact I can find is to request sampling materials.

They just need cheek swabs - i sent swabs on all of my dogs to them. Two of my dogs have parents who went deaf as a result of late-onset deafness (not old age deafness). I'm guessing they're in transition right now since the lead investigator has moved from UCDavis. I don't know what that means for the study or where it will be housed now. I hope it continues at least. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Robin. I though that, if it was the same group, they would already have swabs and pedigrees for three of my dogs, including the one in question concerning hearing loss.

• 1 year later...

It is still being conducted, Kathy. Dr. Mark Neff heads it, and he took blood and did BAER tests at Meeker. He was at the Finals on Sunday to get more samples, but his neurologist could not make it so they didn't do a BAER clinic. They are firming up details to be at the National Western Stock Show in Denver in January.

Do you have the current contact information? I was going to supply samples and let my dogs be tested but wasn't able to make the drive out to the trial. I am close enough to several vet schools and am willing to drive to them for a BAER test.

ETA: There are pups born deaf, dogs who go deaf when middle aged and dogs who go deaf when old. They appear to be 3 separate, unrelated forms of hearing loss. From what I understand and can tell from tracing hearing loss in bloodlines, the middle age onset hearing loss appears to be an incomplete dominant gene.

ETA: There are pups born deaf, dogs who go deaf when middle aged and dogs who go deaf when old. They appear to be 3 separate, unrelated forms of hearing loss. From what I understand and can tell from tracing hearing loss in bloodlines, the middle age onset hearing loss appears to be an incomplete dominant gene.

Liz, do you have any parameters of what age range constitutes "middle aged" or "old"? At what age is deafness just attributable to old age?

I've emailed Dr. Neff at the address I have for him and asked whether it is the contact address he is using for the study. I will post contact info as soon as I hear back.

He is defining adult-onset deafness as deafness that occurs between the ages of two and eight.

Dr. Neff has moved from UCDavis to a joint position with the Van Andel Institute and the Translational Genomics Research Institute; both are non-profit human genomics research institutes. His new position involves canine genomics as an animal model for human diseases. He is still collaborating with Dr. Steve Hamilton of UCSF (UCSF - CANINE BEHAVIORAL GENETICS PROJECT).

Their research has identified key regions in the canine genome which are involved with early onset deafness. One of these regions is similar to a region in the human genome involved with deafness in humans. Changes in one of the regions appears to be necessary for deafness and he suspects there may be another gene involved which modulates when deafness occurs.

His move from UCDavis to his new position slowed progress in his research (while he set-up his new groups). His research pace is increasing now and he has plans to offer free BAER/sample collection clinics at trials throughout the country.

I am working on a Health & Genetics Committee summary for the ABCA newsletter. This will include a summary of Dr. Neff's work. Below is the new contact information for Dr. Neff.

Laboratory of Neurogenetics and Canine Behavior

From what I understand and can tell from tracing hearing loss in bloodlines, the middle age onset hearing loss appears to be an incomplete dominant gene.

Dr. Neff told me that from their genetic studies he believes that the early onset deafness is recessive.

Thanks for the additional information, Mark. I wish that I had known that Dr. Neff was at the Finals on Sunday, as I had my deaf dog with me. She lost her hearing before she was seven years old, and many others in her "family" has had even earlier onset deafness occur. Fortunately, I was able to get a cheek swab for my deaf dog to send to Dr. Neff.

Regards,

nancy

Dr. Neff's position stems from this alliance:

TGen and the Van Andel Research Institute (VARI) will forge a strategic alliance..

and is supported by these facilities Research Services which has allowed them to recently fully sequence (complete genome) 4 dogs of different breeds including a border collie with early onset deafenss.

The alliance also has formed the Canine Hereditary Cancer Consortium. Dr Neff was excited to get a sample from our retired racing greyhound because 30% of racing greyhounds die from cancer and since our Japser is 13 years old he provides them with a cancer free control.