BC Boards

Prayers for human mom of pups

I am requesting prayer for Barb. (not a BC Barb, a teacher with my dh). She is mom to the mother dog who just had 8 pups July 3rd. We are taking one in the fall.

Anyway, she had a stroke on Monday and is facing a lengthy recovery. Crazy as I am, I have offered to take all the dogs if they need me. So, I may be back asking for advice to raising 8 pups + mom, my own dog, and possibly dad dog. Her dtrs are caring for the pups between hospital visits, but I am worried that is too stressful for them.

So, prayers from anyone who prays would be appreciated. She is a good and kind woman.

Before there are too many accolades, please know that my offer to help out is part altruistic and part selfish. I have grave concerns about proper early socialization if the human family is running back and forth to the hospital. I have lived that life, I can't imagine how you fit 8 puppies into it!!

Things are easy now, the pups are two weeks old and mother dog is very good at her job, so there isn't much to do for them. But that will change by the end of next week and it is unlikely Barb will be back in business by then. I am praying for Barb's full recovery, but I am also praying I will get a call next week that I am needed to help, partly to up the chances that the dog I end up with will be a good one.

Her dh said last nite that her speech is improving daily, so it is very hopeful that she can recover most of her faculties. She does, however, have a 100% blockage on one side and 70% on the other (carotid arteries). She has to have surgery to clear them when it is safe for her. I think about the dogs and worry, then I think about her and her family and feel overwhelmed with the work they are facing and the fear they must be feeling.

Before there are too many accolades, please know that my offer to help out is part altruistic and part selfish.
I am reminded of a quote: "The majority of us lead quiet, unheralded lives as we pass through this world. There will most likely be no ticker-tape parades for us, no monuments created in our honor. But that does not lessen our possible impact, for there are scores of people waiting for someone just like us to come along; people who will appreciate our compassion, our unique talents. Someone who will live a happier life merely because we took the time to share what we had to give. Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have a potential to turn a life around. It's overwhelming to consider the continuous opportunities there are to make our love felt." (Leo Buscaglia)

Tammy, there can never be enough accolades for those who seek to do good for others. Your act of kindness and self-sacrifice embodies the credo of Helen Keller: "I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do."