BC Boards

Am I Wrong?

I live in W. Newbury, Mass. (If anyone is in the area and would like to meet for a doggie play date let me know!) and 5 minutes down the road is a pond with some short hiking trails. Dogs are allowed off leash when on the trials but around any picnic areas, parking lot and dock they must be leashed. Clearly posted are these rules. The first lady and I were on our way back in still on the trails when around the corner pops a lady with an english bulldog, not leashed. I hear her say, oh no. Lola (the pooches name) come. Lola doesn't pay attention and charges Izzy. They were about 25 yards apart. She keeps calling the dog and it keeps coming closer.

Katie (the first lady) picks up Izzy as the dog is trying to get at her. Neither was being agressive, but I'm sure Izzy wasn't too pleased about this. I put myself between the dog and Izzy and Katie. The woman of course was apologizing the entire time of course. I tell the woman her dog needs to be leashed. You all here know why so I won't get into that. She gets nasty and says she shouldn't have apologized and the conversation went as well as a talk between N. Korea and the U.S. would go nowadays. I was furious, for two reasons: 1. She thought her dog had a right to be off leash because of where they were. 2. The dog doesn't have a strong recall and THAT'S EXACTLY WHY IZZY IS LEASHED RIGHT NOW.

The backstory: The first week I had Izzy she got attacked in a petco parking lot by a cattledog mix, one of those short 35lb pitbull looking things and I had to wrestle the dog to the ground and sit on it. The owner of course was SO apologetic, etc. Then she brought the dog INSIDE PETCO! True story, Katie and my parents saw this happen. I thought I was going to have to physically hurt the dog to stop the attack.

Sorry for the long post, but this woman was mad at me for yelling at her. I'm amazed. Am I wrong here? Or is this where we are in America, that it really is everyone elses fault?

I'm amazed. Am I wrong here? Or is this where we are in America, that it really is everyone elses fault?

You really have to ask? That's been the prevailing attitude for some time and we're now reaping the result of that mind set. :rolleyes:

Just wait until a wild animal runs across the trail, the woman better have a strong recall for that. We live within walking distance to a large park with numerous wildlife of all shapes and sizes (sometimes, they even come into our yard), Mal is the only dog I would let off lead there, and he proved it to me Tuesday when he saw a few deer and he remained at my side, even though I could tell he really, really wanted to go chase them. Annie has selective hearing and sometimes she's great, and sometimes if it's just from the front door to the car in the driveway, all of 8 steps, she wanders off into the front yard sniffing. Komet I trust almost as much as Mal, but I know that there are still some things that tempt him. Basically, the woman was just plain rude, your community is lucky to have off-leash trails and she is ruining it for the rest of you.

Izzy's Dad - sure you weren't in southern Utah today?

I take my 13 yr old who just had major surgery and is on a short leash, and the 3 yr old running loose, out - millions (literally) of acres of public land around. We pick a nice flat spot for the oldster, and go out maybe 10 minutes. Coming back to the car, here's another car. WTF??? Could this guy have driven another two minutes, and parked elsewhere?

Here comes a large mixed breed dog. "He's OK, right?" Uh, no I say, not with this one. "Lacey, come! Lacey, come here! Lacey, come here right now!" Finally as my old girl is beginning to growl (she's friendly, but doesn't like other dogs charging her when she's leashed, and I'm beginning to panic...), he comes and GETS Lacey. Sorta apologizes, but then just takes Lacey back to his car. Doesn't put a leash on right away, doesn't put dog in car, just hangs out. We must walk past his car to get to mine - fairly obvious, since there are NO other cars around for at least a mile. Finally, Lacey gets leashed - on a flexi, which extends well into the path we're obviously taking to get to my car. We manage to pass by without incident, but sheesh.

I just don't get it....

diane

Hey, Izzysdad! I grew up in Groveland, live in Haverhill, and work locally. Nice to meet you. I've been to Mill Pond many a time.

I've recently posted my own rant about this very topic, so don't need to comment further. Just because they think their dogs are friendly doesn't mean they can send them charging at whomever they please. In fact, I pretty much stopped going to Mill Pond except very early in the morning, because it's a given that Buddy will be charged, on leash, by other people's dogs who are off leash and not under voice control. That just sets Buddy up for bad experiences, and where's the good in that?

When I first got my dog, the signs at Mill Pond seemed the perfect solution to animal issues: NO ONE should be approached by your dog unless they want to be. I think the signs are different now. Too bad.

Mary

Off leash areas are a privilege, not a right. If a dog is not under verbal control it needs to be leashed. People like that are the reason that we don't have more dog friendly parks.

That's the best thing I've read in a long time!

I want a bumper sticker with that on it. :rolleyes:

Hey, Izzysdad! I grew up in Groveland, live in Haverhill, and work locally. Nice to meet you. I've been to Mill Pond many a time.

I've recently posted my own rant about this very topic, so don't need to comment further. Just because they think their dogs are friendly doesn't mean they can send them charging at whomever they please. In fact, I pretty much stopped going to Mill Pond except very early in the morning, because it's a given that Buddy will be charged, on leash, by other people's dogs who are off leash and not under voice control. That just sets Buddy up for bad experiences, and where's the good in that?

When I first got my dog, the signs at Mill Pond seemed the perfect solution to animal issues: NO ONE should be approached by your dog unless they want to be. I think the signs are different now. Too bad.

Mary

Hey pleasure to meet you!!! I just moved here actually and bought a house right by Pentucket High. We were at the spot by the alfalfa field where you can turn left to go down an access road to the pond. You're right, they're quite different now. Too bad. They should go back to the way they were. I will say, the loads of other dogs not on lead I have met have been AWESOME. It's always one that spoils the pot.

Off leash areas are a privilege, not a right. If a dog is not under verbal control it needs to be leashed. People like that are the reason that we don't have more dog friendly parks.

The rule in local off leash arfeas is the dog has to be under positive verbal control or leashed.

This is a subject that we have discussed to no end on other boards and hear as well. After an incident with a coujple of snarky huskies and an even snarkier owner I have taken a new attitude toward dogs that are not under control. "Get near my dogs and get kicked in the head". I now carry my walking stick, I don't really need something else in my hands, and I am ready and willing to be very proactive in protecting my dogs.

As for telling the lady off you were in the right.