BC Boards

Finders Keepers

It was three years ago today that I found my aussie boy Boo abandoned in the National Forest. It's been a long hard road, but worth every bit of angst and uncertainty. It's the hardest fought battles that leave the most enduring mark.

Boo was with another aussie, chasing my truck for a good half mile down the forest road as I was hauling my mare to the trail head for a ride. When I stopped to see if they had collars or tags, the other aussie jumped right in the cab. It took me nearly 20 minutes to wrestle Boo into my truck. He was very wary, and every time he got brave enough to put his front feet in, he'd get scared and dash away again. I finally managed to get a piece of baling twine around his neck and hoisted him into the covered bed of my pickup, acting purely on adrenaline, and not even considering that he might "object" to my manhandling him. He was skin and bones, and though panting heavily, too nervous to drink any water.

After the dogs went unclaimed at animal control, I kept checking back to see if he'd been adopted...his buddy got adopted immediately. Then I started going there to brush him and get him out for some play time and working with him on basic manners. Every time I handed his leash back to the AC officer it was like a knife going through me. I had to get him out of that awful place. And like the old Chinese proverb... when you save a life, you become responsible for it--after 10 days, I adopted him with the intention of re-homing him. I just didn't think I could take on a third dog long term. And he was wild as a fly on a string.

Boo at animal control:

IMG_0635.jpg

He was there at AC for three weeks by the time I was able to get him the appt to be neutered. And just three days before his neuter surgery when I could finally bring him home, I had a nasty wreck on my mare. I was barely ambulatory, only able to walk with the use of a walker. From the very moment he came home with me he became my self-appointed protector. He wouldn't let anyone near me. At first I thought he just needed a period of adjustment to settle in and feel more secure. But when it became apparent that his possessive/aggressive behavior was not diminishing, my knee-jerk reaction was shear panic. I knew his behavior issues would make him impossible to re-home, and I remember feeling I was in over my head, and facing potential liability. But he never once so much as raised a lip at me and he was wonderful with my other dogs.

I got so much help from individuals on the boards here; great advice and referrals to valuable books and professional resources. I also had a horrendous experience with a self-proclaimed behaviorist (recommended by a vet, no less :rolleyes: ) that set him back far beyond where he started.

Boo was the reason I immersed myself in learning about canine behavior issues, and Boo was the reason I became involved with rescue.

We've come so far, and I just wanted to thank the many of you here who generously offered up your wisdom, experience and encouragement. He's my momma's boy, my rock, and my constant and steadfast companion--my Boo

IMG_0866-2-1.jpg

The rest of the gang, taken today:

IMG_1065.jpg

Congratulations. What a wonderful picture of your doggy family, how on earth did you get them all to co-operate!!

Congratulations. What a wonderful picture of your doggy family, how on earth did you get them all to co-operate!!

Wow, time flies! Nancy, I remember when you found Boo and the concern you had for him. He's a handsome fellow and I'm glad he has such a great life.

I remember that we speculated on how he got to the National Forest. Did you ultimately decide that Boo and his buddy had just been dropped off there and abandoned?

Happy 3rd anniversary, Boo. I remember clearly when you first found him and following your adventures, then the shock of your riding accident, and Boo's long rehabilitation story. He is a gorgeous dog, and fits perfectly in your family portrait - they even have their ears set simmilarly :rolleyes:

What a wonderful story, and since I'm relatively new to this board, I'm so glad you shared it again.

You know, I am so sick and tired of watching all the doom and gloom (bad economy, murders, etc.) on TV and in the news, that it is such a great respite to come on this board and read stories like this, and the thread where Laurie S. adopted that gorgeous red-tri, and Bustopher's story about Annie and the pet psychic. I have to say that these stories have brightened my day. :rolleyes:

From the very moment he came home with me he became my self-appointed protector. He wouldn't let anyone near me.

I see a hint of that in Rhys -- he is very growly when he sees people on our walks and especially when people come to visit. I just calm him down and tell him that they are nice people and after a few minutes he goes quiet.

Good boy, Boo. Here's wishing you many more anniversaries to come. And good girl Jill. That stinky little red dog that made such an impression the short while she was in my care, looks very happy in her home.