BC Boards

@Sue R.: How is Dan dog? Pictures?

Yeah--pics and updates, please! I should have some pics of sis (Raskle) and Robbie (who is visiting for a few days) soon,

A

I do need to get updated photos and thanks for the reminder! We've had some lousy weather and busy times but I hope to get some outside shots with the weather improving for the next few days.

Dan is leggy, was 20# at almost 13 weeks (and still thinks I don't feed him nearly enough), has a lot of self-assurance, is not sure how well-behaved he wants to be, does very well on work days (where he's crated/Xpened from 7 until 2:30, when the neighbor boy comes by to potty and feed him his lunch) and then again until we get home around 5 (thank goodness for longer, lighter days), thinks Megan is his personal chew toy, absolutely dotes on my husband (like all the dogs - I do all the work and he gets all the kisses and adoration - what gives here?), has a puppy temper when he's crossed, and is quite interested in livestock (cattle - at a distance just right now, thank you).

He's got big feet, so I'm sure he's got a bit of growing planned. I think he'll have a medium rough coat (my favorite). One ear is looking like it may prick and the other is doing nothing interesting. He's handsome, loves to roll in stinky things, bounces back from reprimands with gusto, loves chewing on cow ears and tails (the dog treat kind), gets into all sorts of mischief, has more energy than is reasonable some days, and can look at me with all sorts of thought going on behind his eyes.

He's great at the vets', did well at puppy class graduation (won the Musical Sits and I think he should have been a shoo-in on the socialization scavenger hunt but he didn't win it, he did well on all the "events" like basic obedience races and dress the puppy races, blew the sit-stay because as a Border Collie he felt a down-stay was more in keeping with his heritage), and is easy to take to town, loves children (!), and thinks everyone is a friend.

He's Dan, Dan-Man, Danny, Danny-boy, "no-no Dan!", and (to Celt and Bute) the Maggot and (to Megan) her Boy-Toy.

And, he just was thinking, what are you looking at?

Dan20090424.jpg

I agree, Lana! In this latest pic, I was thinking how much Danny looks like his daddy (as does Deacon),

A

So, ladies, tell me a little more about Deacon and these relatives you are all familiar with.

If my Dan turns out half as good as Deacon and the other dogs who are closely related, he'll be more than good enough for me! What will hold him back is me, not his potential.

What is scary is to see that a great deal of thought processes are going on in his little brain. I know I've got a dog who comes with stock sense and savvy, but it's a bit humbling to realize that I also think he's much smarter than I am.

As for Deacon, a dog that's gotten dirty working as hard as he can work, is a very handsome dog indeed - dirt and all!

Hey, Angie, how's the queen of the round pen? We were all so proud of you and your progress. See you in the big field next time? Dan and I can take your place in the round pen!

Well, Lana's got a couple of them now...she can tell you how they've been to train up for her.

These guys share more blood than the same sire..their mothers are also full sisters.

Yup. So they're half brothers AND first cousins! Raskle also looks like Daddy, while Robbie is the spitting image of his mother.

I know for me, I have total confidence in the family lines as far as working ability. Some of them can be tough little things (like Miss Raskle at the moment), but they have all the confidence they need on their stock. The rest, to me, is just establishing a relationship with them and the handling,

A

Sue, Deacon is a hard head, he is the hardest dog to live with that i have ever owned. His drive can be over the top, and he does carry a lot of tension when he first starts to work. He is not very likeable off of stock.

All that said......he also reads stock very well, and is physically the toughest dog i have ever seen. He has no fear, and can work 10-12 hour days and always want more. One day he worked 14 hours, pushing pairs, with very little water in the heat of summer. All 4 feet had pads that were gone and bloody. When we finally got in i put him in Geri's truck to rest, and he climbed out a window to come to me and keep working.

When i take him on the range I admire him as much as any dog i have ever owned.. but.....training him has been a challenge because he is so driven and hard headed. He also pushes my buttons, and has made me take a hard look at how i have trained him. I think Mint and Nell have benefited from the mistakes i made with Deac.

Yesterday was his first day this year back on the range. Just a short day but he did some very nice stuff with more training on him than he had last summer. He is reading momma cows much better this year, and he partnered up with me right away when he saw it was a "job".

I also have a full sister who is younger. Mint is much more like her mother. More style, good push, very biddable, good stock sense. She wants to please more than Deacon does, i plan to take her on the range this summer, and i am excited to see how she handles the physical and mental challenge.

Dan's mom is much the same as Deacons. The Leo pups can be a handful. I agree with Anna the line is very proven, and there is an amazing amount of raw talent there, they do very much need to know they are your partner. Deacon was 2 in Jan so he has some growing up to do as well.

Deacon, Mint and and 3 other sibblings( one litter mate to Deacon and 2 to mint) will be running in the cow trial here this weekend, will be fun to watch them all work.

Lana

Wish I could be there at the trial this weekend. Sigh. But, I'll see ya next week.

Given Dan's general demeanor when he was little, I doubt he'll be the hard head Deacon has been; I see him as being more like the mom insofar as biddability. Raskle--not quite so much. She's gonna be a little toughie, but probably not quite as hard headed as Deacon (thankfully!). She's already showing that she's fearless and likes nothing better than to grab heels HARD.

Here she is:

RobbieRaskle42409011.jpg

And here's her brother, Robbie:

RobbieRaskle42409b002.jpg

and Lucky (the maternal grandmother), who, at 12, is as ruthless on stock as ever:

RobbieRaskle42409014.jpg

A

Take Rascle and make her look masculine, and you could have the spitting image of Dan (I took some pics today but am charging my batteries now).

What I do need, that I don't have in Celt or Bute (to one degree or another) is confidence, so that is something I am really looking forward to experiencing in Dan. I'm not eager for hard-headedness and I do see some of that in Dan, at least compared to what Celt and Bute were like as pups. But what I see that I like is that he is tough and persistent in a way that they were not.

He is not as "dependent" a pup as he is more independent-natured, but he has moments/times of really seeming to want to connect with me. He doesn't see much value in basic obedience stuff, unless the treats are there to make it worthwhile. He gets bored pretty easily and I think it's because he has a mind that's bright.

I think he will be a different kind of companion from Celt, who is not cuddly but who is very "attached" and devoted to me (and thinks Ed is the cat's pajamas), and from Bute, who is a very needy kind of dog (who gets "insecure" when we are working with or fussing over another dog, and needs to remind us that he is "here"). Dan, who is easily distracted by his surroundings, will come and sit by me when I am playing ball with the other dogs. He's with me but he's not focused on me. He's focused on the action.

I think he's going to be a great dog and I just hope I can do justice in raising and training him. We sure don't have range work, and our work days are shorter with smaller jobs, but the dogs are just as vital to us (especially me).

Thanks for all the comments about Dan's family connections - it is great to hear about them from those who know!

Sue, i am sure you will do him "justice" and then some!

Have fun :rolleyes:

Lana

Well, I do sometimes have to "lay down the law"...

Thanks for the vote of confidence - some days, I don't have much.

Thank you all for your nice comments about Dan. And a big thanks for the pictures!

What a nice thread of handsome, promising pups. Thanks for the sharing. I love the picture of Deacon on the field. Lana, what makes Deacon not so likable off stock?

Yes, what does make Deacon less likeable off stock? I haven't mentioned your comment about this to Ed but it's given me a bit of concern.

Dan is sometimes "less enjoyable" than Celt or Bute were at the puppy stage - I think it's that he is a bit more independent (less dependent might be a better work to explain my feelings), has more attitude, and isn't a brown-noser (to use my Dad's old expression, which I guess now would be called a suck-up or kiss-up). Yet, he has many "sweet" moments, too. I think he's definitely going to be a lot more dog than Celt, Bute, or Megan (or maybe than Celt, Bute, and Megan).

When we are outside, and he sees cattle in one of the fields, they have his attention and he watches them, finding it hard sometimes to stop watching and get to the business at hand. He doesn't want to be close or have them come towards him yet - they are way big - but one of these days, I think he will be more than capable of taking one on.

Meanwhile, Celt and Bute do the best they can for me and, as the other day, can do some hard or difficult work even when neither are working with a complete package of instinct, good training, and temperment. We don't have difficult cattle (although, since coyotes have moved into the area, some are much less workable when they don't feel like cooperating) but they can pose some challenges to the dogs, but can also reward good work with good results.

I can't wait to see how Dan turns out. Renee (my trainer) has offered to start him for me to give him a much better start than he could get with me (especially without us having any training stock) and with just a once a month lesson with her. And, I plan on having him at a Kathy Knox clinic in December, if he's ready for it. He's going to show us and these cattle what a real good dog can accomplish.

Goodness, I love these dogs...

Lana's got a trial at her place this weekend, so we will have to wait for her answer regarding Deacon's unlikeable-ness. I know she once described it to me, but I don't recall what she said. Meanwhile, I had news from her trial, and Loren won the open with a Leo/Chick pup, and first and fourth in the nursery (those would be Leo/Puzzel pups I'm sure), my friend/student Russ got third in the open (tie for second broken by fetch time) with a Puzzel/Rudy daughter...it's a family thing :rolleyes:

A

Lana's got a trial at her place this weekend, so we will have to wait for her answer regarding Deacon's unlikeable-ness. I know she once described it to me, but I don't recall what she said. Meanwhile, I had news from her trial, and Loren won the open with a Leo/Chick pup, and first and fourth in the nursery (those would be Leo/Puzzel pups I'm sure), my friend/student Russ got third in the open (tie for second broken by fetch time) with a Puzzel/Rudy daughter...it's a family thing :rolleyes:

A

And Ambrose won Pro-Am with a perfect score of 90 with Chili, Mint's littermate, I believe.

From my perspective, Deacon is one of those "driven" dogs who is always looking for work. When he was younger, the work focus was sometimes another dog, say on a big party potty-walk, so scruffs could ensue; I never thought he was dog-aggressive or looking for a fight, but he would just annoy the wrong dog, if you know what I mean. Kind of like a geeky, young workaholic who drove the calmer, more staid dogs nuts. Kind of an outside-the-box dog who also drove the humans nuts. His working ability was great enough to put up with him, though! I haven't spent any quality time with Deacon lately, so Lana will have to offer her insider's report to round things out.

Amy

Driven - hmm. We don't have a ranch, don't have lots for a dog to do most of the time, don't have a kennel (dogs live in the house, but we do have crates for when we are gone or just need them "up"), and I don't generally work full-time (so I spend plenty of time with the dogs much of the year).

Dan, from about 8 weeks until 12-13 weeks, was quite "driven" as a pup - always, always into things and bouncing from one thing to another. In the last week or two, he's settled a bit in the house to the point where he can be left a few minutes while I do things in another room (without coming back to find havoc has been wreaked). He takes some time to quietly chew on approved (and sometimes, unapproved) things. He's getting more and more easy to live with, although he still has a strong streak of independence and willfulness - which alternates with sweetness when I least expect it.

When we are outside and the dogs are playing ball, he'll run out the first time they head away from me and, after that, tend to snoop, sniff, and sit by me as the others are at a distance. As they return, he gets ready to "attack" Megan (who is the only dog that puts up with his puppy rough play) and, when she flies off after the next ball, he comes back with a mouthful of her hair dangling like a little Fu Manchu mustache from his sharp little incisors.

I think he will be very unlike the dogs I have, and I think that will largely be a very good thing. Celt has wonderful instinct but lacks power and confidence, is anxious, but tries so hard; Bute doesn't have great instinct, doesn't face cows, but is very handy for certain situations; and Megan (an adopted dog) is very, very limited in usefulness but has been known to nip a nose or ear when it's been the right thing to do.

Dan, I'm thinking and hoping, will have more of the package - instinct, grit, determination, soundness of temperment, and power/presence. I'm looking forward to him as the dog that can do the job, whatever it is - now, I often have the situation where I choose to take Celt or Bute, and then find that I wished I'd taken the other because the job wasn't quite what I'd anticipated and the dog I took was not as well suited for the job as it turned out.

Dan sounds like he has many family members who are very useful, productive dogs, and I'm grateful to Anna for the chance to have him. But I have one complaint - it's those ears, again. The one that was moving up for almost two weeks is now down. The one that was down all along was up yesterday, but down today. Am I going to have get out the glue and the string?

PS - I'm posting some photos in the gallery, to avoid too many pix here.