BC Boards

@Sue R.: How is Dan dog? Pictures?

Meanwhile, just a few other thoughts - although Dan is just 14 weeks old, he's got quite a mind of his own. He's real good about going potty outside right away and very predictably but he's also not in the least house-broken. I have to take him out very, very often - hourly if he's loose (sometimes sooner) because, if the urge strikes, there is no whining, going to the door, etc., he just lets loose.

Today, we had our second poop accident since he's been here (and first since his first weekend here). We'd just come in from an hour walk outside and I wasn't paying attention - first a pee and, a minute or two later, a poop. Bad management on my part, or just taking for granted that he must have done everything outside (which he obviously didn't ).

He's a "clean" dog - not an accident yet, ever (well, not since the plane ride), in his crate or Xpen, for times up to 7 1/2 hours. Maybe I'm just not remembering how long it took to housebreak Skye, Celt, and Bute. Looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses, maybe?

His basic "obedience" is the worst I've ever had on a youngster at this age - he isn't too interested in sit, down, stay, or here. Sometimes, it's like he doesn't hear me at all and other times, he responds amazingly well - but, mostly, not well. I need to sharpen up my training approach because he's a youngster that need clear boundaries and expectations, and the easy training that I experienced with Celt, Bute, and Megan isn't happening here with Dan.

He reminds me of Skye in that way - very, very good on basic obedience in certain places and times (when not otherwise distracted or engaged or simply not interested). Skye's sire was a tough dog and he was shaping to be an intense, focused, fearless dog when he died.

I think he's going to be one terrific dog, as long as I train smartly and have the right approach, consistent, persistent, and clear.

Sue, Deacon will push the envelope on every rule, every time. I think my oldest child is much the same :rolleyes:

He will run into you when you are walking dogs, try and put his feet on you, and some times even mouth your hand. without going into to gory detail you can safely assume i have given very harsh corrections for all of these, and he will still try them now and then.

Deacon has boundless energy, is very bright, and needs very clear rules that stay the same, and mean the same thing EVERY time. This is not a dog where down means A. slow down B pause C stand on your feet.

Down means down period. He needs order and consistency. This is not to say i tell him what to do all the time. I leave him to work if he is doing the work well, but if i ask for something he has to know i do mean it and will enforce it..preferable without emotion on my part...not easy for me many times and a huge weakness in my ability to train dogs that push on me.

When i am working him all day i don't say much to him at all, maybe a "deacon here" or a sharp steady or NO if he is pushing to hard.

I have struggled more with this dog than all of the other dogs combined. Deacon may never be a dog you can not work for a week, throw in the truck and drive 3 days, and then trial. Then again i don't think many dogs can work in the brutal conditions he can, and for that i do admire him greatly.

I think he will grow up tremendously this summer, and the next hard head i own will benefit greatly from all D is teaching me.

Lana

Thanks, Lana, for describing these things and how you deal with them. Both Celt and Bute are very soft in their own ways, and I hope to do it right with Dan as I think he'll be quite a bit of dog compared to them.

Thanks for the good reminder to be consistent and insistent. I am a wishy-washy person by nature and always have to be remembering to be clear and fair by letting the dog know what I want and making sure to follow-up.

I hope your trial was wonderful! I can't believe you are done and on the internet already - I'd be a basket case just helping out at someone else's event!

Sue, i know the Deacon rules dont work for all dogs, but he really needs to be handled that way..just when i think i know how to train a dog i get a new curve..always learning i hope..

ohh i am a basket case i am in here hidding all alone :rolleyes:

Lana

Sue, i know the Deacon rules dont work for all dogs, but he really needs to be handled that way..just when i think i know how to train a dog i get a new curve..always learning i hope..

Maybe there's hope for me yet. I've just had a couple of dogs to work with, and each has been very different. I just hope I learn enough before I chuck it all in - how come I didn't realize all about this years ago?

ohh i am a basket case i am in here hidding all alone :rolleyes:

Lana

I can understand that! My Mom was that way - the day after big family get-togethers (and mind you, we had a pretty small family but she put a lot of heart and anxiety into a family celebration), she would spend the day in her room with the door shut. I never understood it as a child (although I certainly do as an adult). I'd go to check on her and she'd say she was fine but just to leave her alone. The next day, she'd be out of the room early and ready to go, refreshed and revived, and willing to try another family event in the future.

Thanks to you and to all who go to unimaginable efforts to provide trials (and clinics and lessons and whatever that the rest of us can enjoy and learn from)!