BC Boards

For those of you who wondered

This is the reason everyone says to limit jumping and hard runnin while their dogs are still young. This is Jacksons X-Ray when he was just shy of 8 wks. and he had his leg broke. Notice the gaps between joints. It is only muscle and ligaments that is keeping the pup together. You can not "feel" these gaps, but they are there. Much like younguns. You wouldn't expect a 3 yr. old to jump from something 6ft. tall, and that is what it would be like for a puppy that is just 12inches tall to jump off of something like say a bed. Just FYI for folks.

post-5532-1240088574_thumb.jpg

Here's Kaycee's Right Back Paw when she broke it 6 weeks ago and the other picture is from 2 weeks ago when she had the cast removed. Kaycee was only less than 6 months old and jumped in the air to catch a bad bounce outside and landed all her weight on this one foot. If I just had heeded peoples warnings about age and jumping - I probably would have been more careful... :rolleyes:

1Kaycee.jpg

file_2.jpg

Oh my! and we have a tall bed. I can also see how Jin could injure himself just chasing a ball across the house or outside where he can build up speed before he tries to stop. I'll have to be more careful.

• 1 month later...

WOW! That's really interesting. Great info to know about.

I got a little flack (not much, just an "if you insist" kinda thing) in Grady's puppy agility about insisting he only jump 4" for such a long time. He started class at 7 months and didn't start jumpting 8" until he was 10 months and didn't jump 12" until he was one year. I just recently (at 14 months) started throwing 16" in there. His full height in NADAC will be 20". He gets his hips and growth plates x-rayed in two weeks when he get neutered, just to be sure. I wish I had done that with Lucia, but didn't know. At least I didn't start her agility until she over a year old.

They need to take that x-ray and post it in the lobby of all sport dog training centers.

Thanks for the visual, it really helps reinforce what to not do with a pup, even though I really really want to.

For agility, I would hold off on jumping a BC at all until you are ready to go to full height rather quickly. Jumping so low can encourage an extended stride over a jump and when the bars move up, results in knocked bars. If you don't even start jump work until full grown and after a few times at a lower height, then up to full height, the stride becomes collected and the result is the ability to turn over a jump.