BC Boards

What dog food and why?

JBlaylock

I have recently been comparing the details of different dog foods. I have used Science Diet for 2 years now, and it seems to have been a good choice. But, it is so expensive that i decided to make some comparrisons to see if it is really worth the extra bucks. After all, the more expensive product is not always the best. Anyways, I have found my own results in my search, but I'm curious what you guys think. What dog food do you use, and why do you prefer it?

PS: I'm not looking for generic observations like "My dog's coat is more shiny, he has more energy, etc...." - a statement like that is pointless unless you are comparing it to different results from different food trials.

What does the food you choose have to offer: percentages of Crude Protien, fat, fiber, mosture - what are the top three ingredients (first three listed) - why do you think it's good/better to have those percentages and those ingredients than what other brands offer?

I'm not sure why you think statements like

"My dog's coat is more shiny, he has more energy, etc...." -
are pointless. How do you evaluate the quality of a food without talking about what it does for your dog? Ingredients and percentages are good information, but don't mean anything by themselves. Every dog is different and there is no one food that is going to be best for every dog.

That said, I feed Orijen (grain free, something like 40% protein, don't have the specifics right now) to both of my dogs with an omega supplement daily (VitaGlo Dream Coat). Their coats and shiny and soft and shedding is minimal (though this has been the case on all foods we have tried, due to the omega supplement), their energy level is great, their teeth look beautiful, their stools are small and firm.

Compare to Canidae--Lok had diarrhea consistently on this food, loose stools most of the time and had accidents in his crate on a regular basis. Jun was unable to gain weight on this food no matter how much she ate. Energy levels went up when I switched to grain-free Wellness Core (30-something percent protein). Stools got much better for Lok, but he lost weight. I had to feed 2 1/2 cups a day (compared to 1 1/2 cups of Canidae) to keep him at a minimum acceptable weight. Jun had to eat at least 3 cups to keep at a bare minimum acceptable weight and had loose stools on this food. Jun had terrible gas on both Canidae and Wellness Core. Switched to Orijen. Both dogs maintain excellent weight on 1 1/2 cups a day. Great health. Both have great stools. Jun's gassiness is much better. Orijen is working well for us!

IMO

A specified meat meal is better than the fresh meat: chicken meal is better than chicken.

Except when there are allergies all grains are equivalent: corn=rice=wheat=barley=millet=oatmeal=carbohydrates.

Neutraceuticles (glucosamine, chondroitin, etc) in foods are generally below therapeutic levels.

When feeding multiple dogs price (price per calorie) IS important.

We feed:

Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice

Chicken

Chicken meal

Whole grain brown rice

Protein 26%

Fat 16%

about 2,800kcals/$ or 0.036cents/Kcal

Our 35lb dogs are fed about 740 kcals/day

Mark

Thanks guys, Ninso, first, I said basing your preference off of results like a shiny coat etc are pointless if you do not have a comparrison...i.e. if you cannot say that those results are exclusive to that particular food because you haven't tried another food. However, you mentioned that you did try other foods, and that the results were poor in comparrison, so i don't think you're mention of shiny coat, high energy, etc are pointless, in fact, they are very much appreciated. Were do you buy Orijen? Is it readily available at Petsmart or Petco, or do you order it online? Thanks.

I feed Taste of the Wild. I have found that my dogs do best with a grain-free food. I fed Canidae for a while, but their coats were dull and brittle. I then switched to Barking at the Moon which is grain-free and they looked so much better and seemed healthier overall. I had to drive a ways to get it and it was expensive, so I decided to try Taste of the Wild because it is sold at the local feed mill and it was cheaper. They have been on that for more than a year and are doing very well on it.

Edited to add: They also needed to eat a lot more of the Canidae then the grain-free foods and one of them was still too thin. They eat much less of the Taste of the Wild.

I feed Innova Evo. You can find the ingredients online. It is grain free and very high in protein.

My pup came started on Nutro Puppy. When I switched him to ProPlan his stool was cut in half! The difference was amazing. He stayed on ProPlan Lamb and Rice for his first two years then the next season I noticed his coat wasn't shedding properly, was a bit dull and reddish. I switched to Innova Adult after reading all of the reviews. Later I switched to Evo when I found it. His coat is amazing with a mirror gloss on it. Not greasy, just incredibly healthy (and I bathe him in Suave of all things). The transition period to Evo can take several weeks. You have to transition VERY slowly or you will get diarrhea because it is so rich and the dog's system is used to fillers and corn.

I've also used LiveSmart with good results. I made the switch because the Ex's dog was a picky eater. The portion control and free shipping were a big bonus.

I don't think all dogs need the highest quality kibble, but for me if the difference means just one more day or week of longevity, I'm willing to pay for it.

Rather unscientific, but my findings so far. Planning to fill in more ingredient info, but will have to come back to it later. Price is what I paid, on sale in some cases. Listed first three ingredients and guaranteed analysis. Label is linked in some cases so you can get more detail.

Edit: should note also give topper of yogurt, salmon oil, or an egg, one at a time, at least one of each every week. large bags last us 8-10 weeks.

Canidae (all life stages, old formula) [~.90/lb] - small firm poops, but terrible gas

Wellness Fish [$1.67/lb]- less gas, bigger squishier poops

Whitefish, ground dehulled barley, rye flour; 22/12/3 %

Diamond Naturals [$.88/lb] - very similar results to Canidae, slightly less gas

(Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice; Crude Protein 26.0%, Crude Fat 16.0%, Crude Fiber 3.0%) /

( Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley; Crude Protein 23.0%, Crude Fat 14.0%, Crude Fiber 4.0%)

Kirkland Signature - virtually the same as Diamond

California Natural Herring and Potato [ ] - medium poop, no gas, good coat

Herring, Barley, Oatmeal; 21/11/3.7%

Pinnacle [$1.25/lb]- medium, firm poop, no gas

(Chicken Meal, Chicken, Potatoes; Crude Protein 42.0%, Crude Fat 22.0%, Crude Fiber 2.0% )

Taste of the Wild [$1.25/lb] - same results as Pinnacle, but apparently tastes better

( Duck, duck meal, chicken meal; Crude Protein 32.0%, Crude Fat 18.0%, Crude Fiber 4.0%)

(Bison, venison, lamb meal; Crude Protein 32.0%, Crude Fat 18.0%, Crude Fiber 3.0%)

These are the two foods that I feed Daisy. She gets a total of approximately 2.5 cups a day. I would say we are 50% Nature's Logic dry and 30% Fromm's Dry and 20% Nature's Logic canned. I tried several other brands and these have been wonderful. I had digestive issues with Daisy (she ate a little fertilizer when she was about 4 months old - careless neighbor had it all over the sidewalk.) She takes a digestive enzyme (probiotic) daily and she also gets salmon oil on her food. I used a whitefish supplement after the fertilizer incident - which helps heal the stomach lining. It is an awesome product. I gave it to her for about 3 months.

Some of the other foods that I tried were: Taste of the Wild, Before Grain, California Natural, Innova.

Problems with these foods ranged from her not eating it to loose stool and the most awful gas imagineable!

But overall I am really happy with the ingridients of these foods and Daisy's health.

Nature's Logic CHICKEN Canned Dog Food

Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Chicken Heart, Egg Product, Animal Plasma, Flaxseeds, Montmorillonite, Cottage Cheese, Brewers Yeast, Cod Liver Oil, Egg Shell, Apple, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Tomato Powder, Parsley, Blueberry, Cranberry, Apricots, Spinach, Artichoke, Broccoli, Carrots, Pumpkin, Kelp, Chicory Root, Rosemary.

Guaranteed Analysis: Protein 51.69% DM, Fat 34.9% DM

Nature's Logic Dog Food CHICKEN Dinner (Dry)

Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Millet, Chicken Fat, Montmorillonite, Brewer's Yeast, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Spray Dried Chicken Liver, Pumpkin Seed, Animal Plasma, Kelp, Natural Flavor, Cottage Cheese, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Egg Shell, Avocado, Chicory Root, Tomato Powder, Almonds, Spray Dried Cod Liver Oil, Apple Powder, Blueberry, Apricots, Carrots, Pumpkin, Cranberry, Broccoli, Spinach, Parsley, Artichoke, Rosemary, Fermentation Products (Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Bifidobacterium Bifidium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Streptococcus Faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Sporogenes Fermentation Product Dehydrated), Enzymes (Amylase, Protease, Lipase, Cellulase, Bromelain), Mixed Tocopherols.

Guaranteed Analysis: CRUDE PROTEIN (min.) 36.0%, CRUDE FAT (min.) 15.0%, CRUDE FIBER (max.) 6.0%, MOISTURE (max.) 9.0%, Probiotics Total Microorganisms* 2,000,000,000 CFU/cup

Fromm's White Fish and Potato Dog Food (Dry)

Ingredients: Whitefish, Potato, Menhaden Fish Meal, Sweet Potato, Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, Oatmeal, White Rice, Herring Meal, Whole Dried Egg, Millet, Dried Tomato Pomace, Safflower Oil, Cheese, Flaxseed, Salmon Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Apples, Lecithin, Chicken Cartilage, Potassium Chloride, Monosodium Phosphate, Calcium Sulfate, Cranberries, Blueberries, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Chicory Root Extract, Alfalfa Sprouts, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Folic Acid, Parsley, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcous Faecium, Vitamin A, D3, E, B12 Supplements, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sorbic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite. Guaranteed Analysis Protein 23% Min

I also feed Orijen, I feed it because my dog keeps wight on while eating it. Her stools are smaller and firmer than on any other foods I've tried and her general stomach health has improved. I used to have to be very careful in what I gave her, but now it seems that I can feed her a variety of raw foods as treats with no ill effect. I don't know if the protein in the food has "scientifically" helped her become more tolerable of other proteins, but that's what I've noticed. Foods I have fed her with poor results are in order of trial: Iams, Purina One, Eukanuba, Natural Choice (2 diff. varieties), Natural Balance (2 varieties), ACANA, Orijen. Her coat is nicer and her breath smells better on top of the weight thing.

That being said, I know of another dog who did horrible on Orijen, he had the runs all the time. He is now on Eagle Pack and doing well.

We can't get Orijen in big box stores here and it's made here, so I am going to assume that you won't be able to get it at big box suppliers elsewhere either.

ETA: I feed the 6 Fresh fish variety, 44% protein. I spend about $40/month on food for one dog.

ETA, again: Apparently in Calgary you can get it at Petland which is surprising.....

Senneca is getting Orijen, but it didn't agree with my foster boy, Rhys -- he was getting constant soft poop, so he is on Kirland Lamb and Rice. I have no idea what he was fed before he was dumped at the shelter, but his coat has become glossy and well looking. Both get fish oil supplement. I think the right thing to do is short list the better foods and then find which ones suit your dog (and your pocket). [bTW Costco's Kirkland brand food is manufactured by Diamond and the ingredient list looked quite similar to the Diamond labelled equivalent, the last time I checked.]

Just seconding Taste of the Wild, Evo, and Orijen. All high quality foods. We switch foods often, and most of the true premium foods (Evo, Orijen, Instinct, etc.) are wonderful, and the dogs do well on them. Just have to be careful that you don't fall for the advertising (Eukanuba, Purina, Pedigree as premium, etc.).

I said basing your preference off of results like a shiny coat etc are pointless if you do not have a comparrison...i.e. if you cannot say that those results are exclusive to that particular food because you haven't tried another food.

So very true. My parents used to say that there wasn't any point in getting their dog a high quality food; they were feeding Kibbles 'n' Bits. After all, their Golden had a nice shiny coat, lots of energy, and was fairly healthy. Finally I convinced them to try Wellness Core and they were able to see the improvement very quickly. They didn't have a basis for comparison except against other peoples' dogs, and that is not a benchmark I would personally strive for.

Somebody may have already mentioned this and I missed it, if so i appologise for the redundancy. Has anyone used Solid Gold wolf king? It is grain free and supposedly really good.

Wolf King is not grain-free. Barking at the Moon is Solid Gold's grain-free food. I used it for quite a while, but my dogs do just as well on the Taste of the Wild, but it is much cheaper. I liked the Barking at the Moon, though. It is a good food. I just decided that if my dogs did just as well on something that cost less and was easier for me to get that it made more sense to feed that.

I've been lurking for a while, getting a feel for the topics discussed. This topic of what are the best foods to feed our dogs is of great interest to me . I fed Science Diet too, before the melamine issue made us all rethink what is a healthy diet for our dogs. My vet recommended a low protein diet after crystals were discovered in my BC Oreo's urine (potential bladder stone problem), but it was impossible to maintain a lean, fit, thyroid challenged dog on a high carb diet, and the crystal status remained unchanged. After doing some research, I decided to try a high quality, high protein, low carb diet instead. Being a semi-vegetarian myself, the thought of handling raw meats was repugnant to me, so I tried various high quality no grain kibbles. Eventually I settled upon Wellness Core Low Fat Formula, with a top dressing of Old Mother Hubbard Canned- Oreo was finally able to eat more (he was always ravenous), lose weight and substantially increase his energy levels. He also gets various supplements, right now Missing Link and Vetri Science Bladder Support- no more crystals, his stool is firm and he has no, and I mean no gas! My other two non-thyroid challenged dogs are fed Wellness Core regular formula. Many people over the past year have commented on how glossy my dogs coats are, and Oreo has revved up his agility performance to speeds I never believed him capable of. The Whole Dog Journal does a nice job of presenting information on many of the high quality commercial dog foods on the market today. You can evaluate the different products according to ingredients, protein, fat content, where manufactured, organic etc. I think the answer isn't that there is one perfect food for all dogs, but all dogs should be fed a high quality food without "slaughterhouse junk" masquerading as protein sources . If your dog has no particular allergies or digestive problems, there is emerging thought about the benefits of rotating different commercial foods. It isn't recommended that the foods be mixed, except over the course of the week or so that the dog is getting accustomed to the new food. Over the course of time, diet imbalances are corrected because each brand has a different ratio of nutrients. We understand the importance for humans to eat a variety of foods, so it is hard to understand the logic that states a dog should be fed a limited diet. I have been unable to rotate kibble for Oreo, because I haven't found another commercially prepared food that supplies the high protein and low fat I am looking for, but I vary my supplements as well as my top dressings- sometimes fish which I do eat, the occasional egg, or cooked lean chicken or turkey. Ultimately, you have to try a few of the really good dog foods, and observe how they affect your dog. It's amazing, but you really can measure differences in coat, energy and digestive ease.

Ah, gotcha. I am so new at this. I think that the Petco near my house has Barking at the moon as well, but they don't have taste of the wild. I will see if they offer it per online order. Thanks.

I'm glad this topic is here. I need to think about changing both dogs diet. Mookie to something lighter since she's overweight and Jin to a different puppy food until he's a year old.

I'm currently using a combo of Taste of the wild and Diamond Lanb and Rice. They've been on it for most of the winter and their coats are shiny and they seem to really like it, but recently I've noticed a weight drop in both of them. Grady can't keep weight on anyway, so this is not too big of a surprise, but Lucia doesn't usually have this issue. After reading all the good things about Orijen, I may give it a try when this runs out. Thanks for all the good info!

Ah, gotcha. I am so new at this. I think that the Petco near my house has Barking at the moon as well, but they don't have taste of the wild. I will see if they offer it per online order. Thanks.

Check the websites for the premium food suppliers, they often list their distributors and you can't guess where some of them might be. For example Innova often sells though places that you would think would only offer livestock feed and also often sell through small grooming shops.

I recently took on a foster, and thought I'd try to decrease my food bill with a lower cost, but still good quality food. Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul seems to be working well for us at the moment. It's first 4 ingredients are Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, and ocean fish meal. Further down the list are duck and salmon. At $35 for a 35lb bag it's a good value.

I feed my dogs a raw diet, and have for eight years now. They get a mix of proteins including: chicken backs, necks, legs, thighs, wings, organs; turkey necks, wings, legs; beef neck bones, heart, organs, marrow bones w/meat; duck wings, necks; lamb shanks; mutton meat; goat ribs, meat; rabbit meat, frames; quail frames; pork neck bones, feet, tails; and pretty much anything else I can get my hands on.

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for Orijen - and I also use Go Natural! in between for a change.

NOTE (I found this today when checking out the Go Natural! website to provide info): http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=195 there is a disclaimer on here stating that the AAFCO do not allow them to put glucosamine in their Life Stage dog food anybody know the reason behind this?