BC Boards

A little help with Cooper

Cooper doesn't seem to like the vacuam, he barks and tries to bite it. COuld that be a herding problem or behavoiral, I think it is behavioral, how do i stop it? He does have a crate when i tell him to go to bed he acts likes he's done something wrong and sulks in it. I want him to see it as a good place not a naughty one.

:rolleyes: Lucia hates the vacuum. I've learned to minimize the "attacks", but they still happen. Down stays work well, but she has pretty good self control. It propbably won't work with a really young dog. I would recommend putting him in his kennel until he figures out the vacuum isn't such a bad thing.

On the other hand, it makes for a great babysitter. If I put the vacuum in the middle of the room, Lucia will lie down in front of it and wait for it to "growl" at her :D

I had a BC that would "attack" the vacuum cleaner, I mean she would bite it an pick it clear up of of the floor! looks like that beater brush would have been hard on her mouth but it did'nt seem to phase her... I would have to put her outside when I ran it but after a couple of years it did'nt bother her anymore. She also hated my exercise bike and would bite at the pedals, it would make me cringe to hear her teeth clanging against the steel. I can't give you any advice on how to get your dog to stop just thought I'd let you know other dogs do the same thing LOL

At the earliest stage of her puppyhood Skye began to bark and growl and lunge at the vacuum. I think its important at this 'cute' stage not to ever encourage or allow the behaviour, since it can become obsessive and morph into more dangerous kinds of challenges, but to make a real effort to de-fuse it, like you're wanting to do. I certainly didn't want it to become a routine battle, esp. when she got older and bigger :rolleyes: , so I firmly told her no and to 'leave it' and got her in a lie down. I did make a point of having her in another room when I started to vacuum and kept reinforcing the 'leave it' command. She caught on pretty fast and actually began to leave the room on her own when I'd bring it out.

If Cooper (I don't recall how old he is) doesn't respond on his own to your 'leave it' or 'lie down' command when the vacuum is coming out, then I'd also suggest putting him in another room or in his crate while you use it, until he learns to leave it be.

Its just one of those things that some dogs, esp those with a real interest in movement, want to control. I wouldn't call it herding -- many dogs respond this way if they haven't been taught some restraint or exposed to all kinds of noisy, jerky, strange things from early on (i.e. skateboards, bicycles, cars, etc.).

Ailsa

I guess I'm lucky, Lucy screams and runs as far from the vacuum as she can get, then hides under whatever is available. Ethel ignores it ("What vacuum cleaner?"). Maggie is hiding anyway, so she doesn't much care.

What I can't get is Lucy being terrified of me folding laundry. When I start to fold laundry, she screams and runs just like from the vacuum.

An observation on Lucy and the laundry: MY Lucy doesn't like any kind of loud noises (though curiously, she isn't bothered by the vacuum - it's sharp noises she doesn't like). If I shake out a towel or such, to the point that it kinda "snaps," she'll run and hide. I guess I did it enough, that even if I DON'T do the noise, she knows that it could happen - so she just exits when I do laundry. Ditto for my youngster and the vacuum - he doesn't attack, just doesn't like it, so I'm sure he's either outside or in another room when I use the thing.

diane

Senneca hates the vacuum cleaner (as she does all things with motors), but her usual response is to go and hide. The other day, my wife was using the cylinder vacuum cleaner on carpet -- a rare occurance, we would normally use the upight -- and Sennca went to attack. Her issue appears to be the sound that the vacuum cleaner brush makes when rubbing the carpet. She once showed the same attack behaviour to a hair-removal sponge when it was rubbed against carpet. That scared my wife, at the time, because she thought Senneca was trying to bite her. Maybe there's some static generated by the rubbing that she doesn't like?

I'm so fortunate that Scooter isn't bothered by the vacuum, or pretty much anything else for that matter! :rolleyes: When he was a pup, if something freaked him out, I'd touch the item, calmly say "touch" and let him approach it, sniff it, kind of investigate it to see that it wasn't going to get him. One or two times of this and the big scary thing wasn't scary any more. Eventually, if there was something he wasn't sure of, he'd look at me for reassurance (I'd shrug my shoulders and say "no big deal") and he'd be fine. Now when I run the vacuum, sometimes I actually have to tell him to move! :D

Ouzo doesn't like the vacuum either, but instead of bitting it, he throws toys at it :rolleyes::D :D We have to constantly kick them out of the way and tell him to knock it out. He does the same thing each morning when I dry my hair with the blowdryer. He eventually calms down, but still shoves a toy here and there towards the noise maker :D

He eventually calms down, but still shoves a toy here and there towards the noise maker :rolleyes:

LOL. What is he trying to do? Try and keep it happy...."Here have a toy loud thing ... don't hurt me ... please?"

Daisy doesn't like the vaccuum either. She will attack the front of it or the wheels. I think because it's LOUD. It doesn't bother her when it's not on. She'll walk right up to it and eat treats off it, no problem!

Anyway, before the bf moved in, I would just crate her. After that, bf would just leash her and go sit on the couch, she'd lay up there with him and watch. No worries. Now I can usually get through the entire house with her off leash. Sometimes she'll still go after it, but she's got a pretty good "leave-it" now, and that does work if she looses control!

At first Jake barked and tried to bite the vaccuum, but after watching his Siamese 'sister' winding her way around my legs, BEGGING to be vaccuumed, he started to see it in a different light. I can now vaccumm Jake's back and hind. I am thinking,this is going to come in handy in the Spring! :rolleyes:

I have a friend with a BC, and she would give a sharp "AHT AH!" and a "Go Lie Down" Our dogs are SMART! I am sure you can find his trigger that will work, ie... tossing treats to the side of vaccuum,or putting him out of the way...

Good Luck!

Sara

Lewie doesn't like the noise. He hides behind the living room furniture and doesn't come until I tell him, "It's OK Honey, Mommy's done now." It's actually kind of cute to see him peeking out from behind a chair.

I'm with Julie on this. Put him in a crate or in the bathroom. This is just one of those mindless habits that

never needs to get started. I stayed with my folks while building my house and my Willy was about 6 mos. old.

My Dad thought it was the funniest thing to see him attack the vacuum. When I caught on to what was going on

I put a stop to it. To this day, nine years later, I can see the look in his eyes when I start the v. cleaner up. I can

send him to another room with just a word now but it's just one more annoyance that should never have started.

About the laundry, my little year old dog used to cower when we would snap the towels while folding and such.

When I saw she was scared I purposely snapped it while make happy noises and dancing around ( no, I WILL NOT

demonstrate) to show her there was nothing to be scared of. Now you can make as much noise as you like and she

will just give you an annoyed look for disturbing her nap. :rolleyes:

We have Aussies and they did the same thing as pups. I taught my dogs to play ball and some herding commands with the ball. Now when it is time for cleaning the house, she gets her ball to play (so cute). Don't know what others will suggest but that is what we did and it was very successful. N