BC Boards

To get a puppy, or not to get a puppy, that is the question.

So, I'm having an inner battle here. I can't decide if I should actually get a border collie puppy next summer or not. I am going to get a border collie eventually, I just don't know if next summer's the best for myself, and my current dogs or not.

Like I've said, Bella's doing well, and we're working hard, but I worry that getting a puppy may not be the best thing for her. I worry I won't be able to spread my time out evenly between the pup, Zoey, and Bella.

But, at the same time, I've wanted this puppy for a long time, since before Bella came along. And I've tried to say "Okay, I'll get an aussie puppy instead, because then, if I moved out to college, mom would keep it for me", but I know that if I get any other breed of dog, it'll be a short time, and I'll be back to wanting my border collie. It's like the breed is haunting me! How I could possibly want another dog when I'm a teenager who already has two of her own is beyond me, but I'm dying to have a border collie!

Bella's doing really well, and right now is taking an obedience class (she knows it all already, it's just a chance for her to be around other dogs that aren't perfectly behaved) every other week (which could be changed to every week), and in May she'll be taking an agility class once a week (She could be taught it all at home, but this is another chance for her to be around other dogs, and active dogs, since that seemed to be a problem for her too), and I honestly think that all her time around all these other dogs will be the soloution to our problems (That and I'm not taking it anymore. I've started with a new, when she's bad, she's put in her crate for a little while method)... So, technically, next summer she'll be done with agility classes, and just doing training with me (which Zoey's now doing) which I can do, fine, and don't see as 'work', and I'd have more time to work a puppy, since she'd be done with all her agility...

I can't decide. The parents have still got an okay placed on my getting a puppy, but it's me that's bouncing back and forth about getting a puppy or not. Anyone have any advice on the matter at hand?

I guess my feeling is that, if you have doubts, don't get a puppy now. You do have two dogs already, as you pointed out, and are at an age and a stage in life where circumstances could likely change radically in the next few years. If and when you feel the time is right, then you would be better prepared mentally to take on the added responsibility.

Best wishes in making the best decision for your and your family.

That seems to be a very smart outlook.

For some of us, and myself very much so, any decision-making is full of self-doubts and concerns. Sometimes, even if it's the very right thing to do, I can have doubts. I expect you will make a sensible decision when the time comes.

At least wait until you know what you're doing for college. If there's a question of whether you'll be living at home or away it's the responsible thing to do. If I were you I'd wait until my first semester of college so you have some idea of what it would be like to be at college with a dog.

I agree also unless you know for sure that you are moving out to college or not I wouldn't get a pup. Wait until you are sure of which way your life is going first, then decide on the puppy.

Steve

Shay, this may sound weird, but don't think about it. Put it out of your mind whenever it comes up. Focus on the two dogs that you have and love, and what you're doing now.

I've had a tendency to expend an enormous amount of energy in trying to decide things way ahead of time. For me, it becomes counterproductive and takes away attention to the here and now and stops me from doing what I need to do. You're going to get a border collie someday, I don't think there's any doubt about that. Right now, trying to foresee a very changeable future and make decisions based on predictions is frustrating and distracting.

It's a lot of fun to dream about your future and make sort of castles in the air plans, but it can be a stumbling block if you indulge too much. Work with Bella, get ready for college. When you're set to get a border collie, you'll need to make decisions, just not right now.

JMO,

Ruth

Yea college life can be waaaay different than you anticipate and adding a dog right at a key changing point in your life can really complicate things, not the least of which would be finding housing with 3 dogs on a college student's budget if you don't live at home. I loved having my Maggie with me at college, but I honestly can't imagine keeping up with three dogs and classes and maybe even part time work. One was plenty for me.

My brother and his wife have two huskies. Each was originally owned by a different girl. But each girl went off to college. And each, eventually, tried to keep the husky in a dorm or an apartment. It didn't work out in either case.

Not everyone finds a couple like my brother and his wife, who the room, the time, and the patience to take on dogs that other people thought were a good idea.

I'm old and cantankerous and opinionated, but I'll side strongly on the "wait!" side.

I know there are exceptional owners on this forum who have taken care of dogs during their college years. In the world of people I actually meet face-to-face, I haven't seen it work.

The changes you go through between high school and independence are gigantic. Dorms. Apartments. Roommates. Bad boyfriends. Bad girlfriends. Bad bosses and jobs. Horrible landlords. Relocations. Ugh. There are enough examples in this forum to make your head spin: roommates who torment the dog, a new live-in GF whose dog attacks the BC, a new marriage or baby that means the dog gets pushed into rescue.

I barely had the wherewithall to drag myself through some of the living situations I found myself in during my early 20s - never mind throwing another living being into the mix.

Mary

I would go for the waiting. I'm just finishing up my 5th semester here at university and I'm only now settling down into a routine and growing up out of bad habits. I've finally learn self control with money spending and my partying time is down lots, I have my scheduled only perfect this semester (personally I go for classes back on with each other and minimize class time with longer course hours 1 or two days rather then going 4 times a week to a class, but it takes time to figure out your own routine), and frankly i've only just learned how to study and I'm still not great at it (I was one of those never had to study A students in highschool and going to university without study habits was the worse experience ever, and very hard to overcome. Now I'm getting a BC (if all goes as planned) the beginning of April and I know I will FINALLY be ready for this step.

It makes more sense to wait right now and get a taste of college life that way you have all the time you need to properly dedicate it to your new friend.

Oops, forgot to add that I'm about 95% sure I will NOT be going to college, or university. What I'd like to do with my life is train, board, and groom dogs, and my plans were to get a puppy, and take that puppy with me while I travel around to work under different trainers.

If I was to go to college (if I do, it'll be a simple 2 year course, and it's about 1 1/2 hours from home), I would have ONE dog with me, if at all. I never planned on taking all three of my dogs with me (Zoey, Bella, and a pup). I had planned on keeping Zoey here, because she fits in with the pack, and which ever dog handled worse being away from me, Bella or the pup, would come with me, if at all. I had planned on trying with a dog, and if it didn't work, my parents would keep all three for me. But like I said, it's pretty much solid I wont be going to college.

I'm just going to keep an open mind. Though, I really do have my heart set on a puppy, and I know I'll do right by it, no matter when I get it. I'm just going to wait until the time seems right for me to get one.

Thank you for your opinions, and advice! :rolleyes:

Going to college or not, for the first couple years out of high school you're going to be finding your way in the world and figuring out how to live on your own. It's going to be a new learning experience for you and could be much different than you imagined. I'd focus on learning the trade you want to pursue before adding a pup to the mix.

I agree with pretty much everyone else, just wait and see where you are in a year or so and make the decision then. Being that I'm only a few years ahead of you, I can say that moving out on your own is pretty stressful and that things do NOT always go as planned. I never made plans to get another dog, but the perfect dog just happened along. I know this is bad timing for me to have gotten another one (limited funds, apartment only technically allows one dog, busy schedule with work and school with a high demand major, parents not too thrilled) but it was also really bad timing for Aveda to die at the shelter. For that, I'm willing to make sacrifices, and I know I'll keep having to for the rest of her life. Just wait and see what happens. :rolleyes:

I'd agree with Melanie - my BS in Animal Science has opened sooooo many doors for me in the animal career realm. I wouldn't have gotten my current job, behavior coordinator at a shelter, without my degree to be completely honest; that degree helped my come out on top of people with just hands on experience. 8 years experience *plus* the degree was very impressive to many people and I ended up with 3 offers on the table. With the job market the way it is right now, having a degree really helps in general.

Shay I know how that is!

I am a junior in college (Graphic Design major). I graduated high school in may of 06 and in january of 07 I was finally able to have my own BC after many years of volunteering with BC rescue (still do). I absolutely love my BC Kyla and wouldn't give her up for the world, I think she will always my 'heart dog'. We compete in agility and dabble in herding and Ky is also young, about 2.5 years.

Still, I have those moments too! Where I would really love to get a pup. I have several friends who work and breed their working BCs and I see new rescue dogs come in weekly. There are several working dogs that I would love to have a pup from, and those dogs are getting older.

Then I make myself look at the dog I have and love, and consider my lifestyle too. Now really isn't the best time in my life for a pup! I am in college and work. I live with my parents. I have to say that living at home helps with having a dog also, when I have long night classes there is usually someone home to let Ky out if she needs it. I am applying for jobs and internships and don't always know what my schedule will be. Thankfully Kyla adapts pretty well, and I have been lucky in the fact that she IS a high drive dog, but has not really destroyed anything in the house when left alone for long periods.

I think about Kyla too. With my busy schedule, would I have enough time to give her the attention she deserves and still have time to devote to a pup too? At this point, probally not.

So, in two or three years I plan on finding the right pup for us. I plan to have a secure job and a place of my own before that happens.

When I feel like I NEED a puppy RIGHT NOW, I focus on the amazing, wonderful dog that I have (and waited for so long to get). And I focus on what Kyla and I do now and what we might do. And I focus on my schoolwork and finding a secure job. I figure I will need a good job to support all of my dog hobbies :rolleyes:

I wish you much luck with whatever you decide to do.

Hi Shay,

I know that people have commended you before on being so careful and researching the issue before you make your decision. It really is wonderful. :rolleyes:

I was really lucky and grew up with a Broder Collie. We got Casey when I was 9 years old and she was a great companion for over 14 years. I went to college for 4 years but lived at home. She would sit by my feet while I sat at the computer for hours on end. We had her put to sleep 1 year after I graduated from college. I moved out on my own the weekend after. I promised myself that I when I finished my master's degree I would get my own dog. I graduated last spring and got Daisy in June. It was a long time to wait - 4 years! But it was worth the wait. I would not have been able to give a fair amount of time and energy to Daisy if I would have done it a moment sooner.

It is good that you are keeping your options open. Please consider what additional value having a post secondary education would do for your desires to work with dogs. There lots of different options that could make you even more successful in that line of work. Until, you are sure you know what you want to do with your life, wait on getting that BC. It will be the best decision for you and your pup.

Best wishes! :D

Shay, I have to go along with the majority opinion here (although it goes against my grain to be agreeable...). You already have 2 dogs, and you still have college in your future. There will be plenty of time to indulge your love for dogs to your heart's content once you have settled into your post-college lifestyle; for now, focus on the dogs you have, and on your studies.

I don't know. I guess I'll just take it as it comes.

I would like to go to college, but I can't afford it (20,000$ for the two years). And I don't see a point in going to college and spending that money when there are vets out there willing to train someone to do the job I'd be going to school for.

I don't know. I'm just going to take it as it comes. The parents are playing a big role in my decission, and they seem to think it's a plausible idea. They know that if I did end up going to college, they'd be stuck with two of my three dogs...

I don't know. I guess I'll just take it as it comes.

I would like to go to college, but I can't afford it (20,000$ for the two years). And I don't see a point in going to college and spending that money when there are vets out there willing to train someone to do the job I'd be going to school for.

I don't know. I'm just going to take it as it comes. The parents are playing a big role in my decission, and they seem to think it's a plausible idea. They know that if I did end up going to college, they'd be stuck with two of my three dogs...

I'm not sure what the situation is in Canada, but here in the US there is low interest loan and grant money available for college. And scholarships. Studies have shown that a college diploma can pay for itself many times over in terms of higher wages over a lifetime. Yes, you can learn through working and is a good form of education, but if you get a combination of work experience and a degree, you will be much more valuable to a prospective employer and have a wider choice of jobs available to you. It is well worth the cost and effort.

Now I've got to go run my dogs and finish up my homework before class tonight

-Mara, who has plenty of work experience, but decided last year to go back to school and get a degree.

Around here, you can get student loans, but paying back a 20,000$ loan would take me a lot of time, and since I don't have any money set aside for college, I would need a loan for the total 20,000.

I may go to college someday, but my plans are now, not to. At least for now, and if I was to get a puppy, it'd be until I had the situation worked out (a place close to the school, or the money and a car to drive the 1 1/2 hour every day to school so I could stay here), or until I was down in dogs. (By the time I graduate my oldest dog will be 8). I also think that if I was to take some time off after highschool, I may be able to work up enough money for me to pay some of my tuition, or atleast my living.

My perspective, from a mid-20's, BS from a darn good school, living on my own, two dogs, and a ton of livestock.

Wait on the puppy.

If you don't want to go to college right now, don't. I wish I hadn't. I was NOT ready. Now, at 27, after having lived on my own for a number of years, supported myself, I am ready to go back. I know what I want to do with my life, or at least what I want to do with it right now. I pretty much have to start all over. I'll end up with two BS degrees, because I was so out of sorts the first time around that my transcript is terrible & won't get me anywhere.

Before I can get on with things, I have to figure out what to do with: 2 horses, 70-odd sheep, a flock of chickens & ducks, all the requisite livestock equpiment. And then I have these two dogs. Talk about making housing diffcult!

Waiting sucks. It really does. But I guarantee that, in the next few years, you will change more than you ever thought possible.

Enjoy the dogs you have now. Get out there & live life like you think you want you. You'll learn a lot, I promise. It won't be long before you settle down into yourself. That's a good time to get a puppy.

Shay, I'm NOT the one to talk- I overthink everything. You've gotten great advice

I'm 22, a college drop out (for the time being, I took time off when my mom got ill, but I'll be going back for my last year next semester), dog owner, future bc owner... My take is wait. Things change so fast.

I went into college with a dog I'd had since I was a child, and I could not take her with me. It really tore me apart. I ended up out of state, she was 400 miles away with my parents. Dorms for two years then I ended up getting my dog after about 10 months in an apartment. Now I'm going to be living on my own and am going to get a second dog. I'm slightly insane, though, keep that in mind. I didn't find having a dog at this point in my life hard at all, but most people my age with dogs are not very good owners, I'm afraid to say.

I like to dream too, and I do know I'll have my bc one day. I planned on it being the dog next semester. I'm not really sure if that'll be the case now or not. I'd love a well bred bc from a good breeder but I live in apartment, my life is going to be changing a lot still. A working bred puppy plus school doesn't sound very smart to me. With a 7 lb dog, any rescues will have to be carefully screened and trying to adopt from a rescue when you're a college student is basically impossible. So, I've been trying my hardest not to think about it. I know when the time comes for me to get a dog at the end of the summer, then the right dog will show up. No sense in worrying over it now even as much as I want a bc more than anything. I also have to think of what would fit in with my current dog and my apartment/changing life.

Also, if you're like me the dogs I was interested in at the beginning of college are totally not the dogs I'm interested in now. I started working in rescue and decided that the hard headedness of the more primitive breeds isn't really what I'd like to live with. :rolleyes: Plus now I've got a 7 lb fluffball, that throws sightounds pretty much out anyways. Then I found myself back with the herders, which is what I grew up with. Go figure.