BC Boards

blizzard phobia?

Kathy H.

Any one have dogs who are storm phobic react to winter storms? No thunder, snow and high winds (blizzard conditions), very cold.

Poor Spot, who is very storm phobic in the spring/summer/fall has started reacting to snow storms approaching I think. Same behavior (pacing, wild eyes, panic). It's happened 3 times now this winter.

This had not happened before this winter and Spot, BTW, is an 8 year old dog who is now doing chores and set out because of late onset deafness (long story).

Just wondering. I gave him alprazolam (xanax) which is standard for him during thunder storms and which helps a lot. I just hate to think that we're losing the "security" of winter and no t'storms. I assume he's reacting to changing pressures.

Kathy/Frigid Iowa

Nellie reacts the same for summer or winter storms. Luckily she has a pretty mild case of thunder phobia and is content to just hide in her crate until the storm is gone.

She does seem to come out of her crate faster in the winter, I think because she loves to play in the snow.

I am pretty sure Nellie reacts to the changing pressure, because she will usually start acting off about a day before the storm comes.

I just know that what Fergie reacts to is low pressure. I'm not sure what front that would be - I seem to remember snow storms and low pressure. But I've been in the South since 179, and I'm getting old. So don't count on my memory.

Is he authritic at all? He may be feeling the pressure change in his joints and it could hurt all of a sudden. That might be why he has just started reacting now, and he did not previously.

Hmm, good thought but it's not at the top of my list. Spot had TPLO surgery several years ago and as a preventative, I did the Adequan series and he gets additional adequan every 5-6 weeks. His hips are excellent and, most important, his movement is fluid. Plus what I'm observing is more like panic. Last night he crawled behind the claw foot tub, had enlarged pupils and was just overall very anxious.

I'm thinking it's the fronts we have coming through now and that he is reacting to barometric pressure as some other people have described. I'll keep the pain possibility in the back of my mind though as a possibility.

Poor ol' Spot!

Kathy/Iowa

Kathy, have you ever tried an anxiety wrap for Spot during or before storms? I wish you and him well!

Amy

I've tried the "cape" thing and he looks very cute but I can't tell that it works. I've never done the full anxiety wrap deal although I tried a t-shirt tied tightly around him. He hated it, got it off right away and what he didn't get off, fell off as he did obsessive pacing.

So far, the only thing that has really made a dent in this has been the Xanax, especially if I can get it into him in advance of bad weather. I've tried the melatonin and other herbal type things but no effect. Spot gets pretty darned panicked.

If you have any ideas about "better" wrapping, I'd be happy to try. I did look at one point at the stuff you buy and just couldn't justify it in my own mind, especially after the t-shirt fiasco (which could have been my ineffective implementation of a good idea).

Thanks!

Kathy/Iowa

I can sympathize with your dog I react to low pressure of snow. I'm sure it's the thought for a human of having to drive your spouse havign to drive and where your children are that add to it but, it's uncomfortable.

That's interesting. I was sure hoping that, as Spot has been getting deaf, the storm phobia would improve but if it's a reaction to changing pressure, then probably not.

Thanks for the insight.

KathyIowa

The one herb we had success with was Shen Calmer (vet only). In Fl we used it only during storm season. Having tried just about all the rest of the OTC drugs this one seemed to "help" not cure or hide though. The panic went from suicidal to bearable.

Good luck to you and Spot!

Karen

The one herb we had success with was Shen Calmer (vet only). In Fl we used it only during storm season. Having tried just about all the rest of the OTC drugs this one seemed to "help" not cure or hide though. The panic went from suicidal to bearable.

Good luck to you and Spot!

Karen

Do you know how one could get it without a holistic vet available. Dave is suicidal in summer season. he has failed all over the counter and 2 prescriptions.

Dean gets nervous when it gets very windy, but he doesn't react to low pressure of a snowstorm like he does thunder.

With him, I am positive that it is strictly the nose that freaks him out. The thunder cape didn't work for him, either, although he also looks great in it!

What about encouraging Spot to hunker down in a safe place. I've used this tactic with Dean and it helped him a lot. I let him choose it - it's actually the place where I usually sit on the futon (when he's nervous and using that as his safe place, I move over!). As long as he's in that place, he can deal. When I see him getting nervous about low level noise, I put him in his safe place and he usually recovers after a bit of time there.

Just to note, he is also on medication which has helped a lot. The safe place technique did not work until he got on the medication and it reached therapeutic levels. It's worth a try, though.

I don't think you can get it. Here's the link. Maybe if your Vet ordered it from them?

http://www.tcvm.com/successstory/shencalmer.htm

Good Luck!

Thanks so much for the link there is a vet in our area that works with them and I've talked with her before for a reference she answers her own phone. I'm guessing Dave will be off to there.

Scooter has never been noise phobic, but one day this past week during another nasty ice and snow weather system, I noticed him lying around, ears pinned back and eyes looking a little big. DH was home from work, so I thought it might have had something to do with the change in routine. I know it made my eyes bug out a little! :rolleyes: