BC Boards

Calendar date for NC get-together

We need to come up with a date for the get-together. Since this year's gracious host will be Rebecca of Irena Farm (formerly Brookcove Farm), the exact date will depend on her.

I think a Saturday, as opposed to a Sunday, would be best. Do y'all agree?

The available Saturdays are:

June 24 and July 1, 8, 15, 22, and 29. I think August would be too hot. Let me know if you agree.

Check your calendars and see what your plans are and we'll go from there. (Don't forget graduations and weddings - both popular that time of year.)

As of right now I am available for any of those dates, but I have a shower to attend (I am actually throwing it with one other person) and it is going to be one of those dates depending on what place we can get....unfortunately, that date isn't nailed down yet...

By the way, our get-together has apparently become famous! An Aussie owner from another list, upon hearing that I'll be going this year, said, "I heard about the Border collie get-together thru people in my Aussie rescue. A lot of the Aussie rescuers also work w/ Borders, so we support all events for both breeds."

:rolleyes:

July 15 would be the only potential conflict here. Plus July 8 there's a local sheepdog trial. I'd actually prefer later in July if possible - I think if it's going to be hot this year, it will be hot well before midsummer. June's going to be a nutty month for us between weaning, building fence, and (I hope) finalizing the sale of the old farm.

There's plenty of room to camp - no hookups at all but lots of level space with easy access. Anyone who came to our clinic in January will remember the, um, interesting gate setup and squoggy field - that's not a problem here - the guy who lived here before drove a logging truck and parked it here. I think we're pretty good on any kind of RV or trailer. Tent camping is fine too - if we get a lot of people I'll see about getting a port-a-jon.

What does everyone think about a July 22nd date?

Keep in mind that Rebecca has ponds for the dogs to cool down in (and people if you dare!) and lots of shade trees.

I wonder how much it would cost to rent one of those big tent things and put an air conditioner in it? That way if it got real hot (which it sometimes does in NC) we could pop in there for relief.

What are those tent things called? Let me know and I'll do a little research. It might not be a bad idea to have one anyway, in case it rains or something.

Keep in mind that Rebecca has ponds for the dogs to cool down in (and people if you dare!) and lots of shade trees.
Actually the pond is pretty nice - if you are into rustic type swimming experiences bring your suit! I'm looking at those rafty thingies myself. I'll have to get another picture now that it's greening up.

Both the knoll and the pond are pretty breezy all the time - we're told it's like that in the summer too. That would definitely be nice. The treeline closes around the pond, and there are great big shade trees around the upper field and on our lawn, too.

I have to say I've never heard of a tent you could air condition, though my experience in that respect is somewhat limited. Shade, a breeze, and not moving much :rolleyes: are the usual strategies for dealing with summer heat. Wasn't the last one in July too? I remember it was hot really early because we had to go riding at my friend's at like six a.m.

Oh, ticks - it shouldn't be too awful with the ducks working on them, and I'm thinking of getting some guineas, too. But I'm a big fan of real live tick repellant after getting sick last fall from something a deer tick gave me.

I think I am okay with July 22 - for some odd reason that date seems awfully familiar (Like I have something scheduled then) but for the life of me I can't figure out what that might be....oh well, I could just be going loopy...

Can you see through the water in that pond?

OK, I'm a d****d Yankee who grew up with spring-fed glacial lakes. Yup, a real wimp about ponds that look like what we called regular coffee - weak and with cream.

However, I have no shame. So, if I come, I'll bring my bikini. And if you don't like how I look, don't look!

Miz,

I have a regular canopy (sorry, no a/c in it) that I could bring for extra shade/rain protection/covered area for food.

Now who wants to fish in the pond and turn the catch into a fish fry? :rolleyes:

July 22 works for me too (unless I have little bundles of joy arriving, but even that can be worked around).

J.

July 22 works fine for me too. I have an extra canopy thingie as well that I've been just waiting to use. Oh, and my Mom has one of those chimnea thingies, and if there is still a burning ban I'd bet she'd let us borrow it. I think last years was June 25th, by the way (something like that). If my DH would agree to come and drive his truck, we could also bring a grill.

Well, uh, you can see through some of the water . . . :rolleyes: Like maybe a foot down. I'm a city gal and grew up swimming in pools or the Pacific Ocean so I'm with you on the wimpy stuff. But it looks attractive enough to me to give it a whirl when it gets warmer.

What fun! Next month-ish I'll put together a web site with directions and whatnot. It's 54 Scott Rd Semora NC if you want to MapQuest it. But be warned, we've found out that Mapquest has a very funny way of bringing most people here so don't judge how long it will take, by the online directions!

Yeah - I'm excited to meet more of the folks from other areas as well!!! I will bringing my tent to camp...I would invite others but Keegan probably wouldn't like your dogs - no offense should be taken...he only likes June!!!

I also have a canopy so if Cheri doesn't want to bring her's all the way from Arkansas.

We can hash out the food later, but it feels good to have a date down.