BC Boards

CALI WAS ATTACKED...

I thought I would come on here for some hugs and sympathy from people who love dogs and understand how attached we get to our little darlings.

Cali is 8 months old, she is a sweetheart, so kind, loving and very friendly, she is becoming more trained every day and me and my husband love her so much.

Well yesterday I went through a traumatic experience that shook me to my core, it was probably the scariest thing I have ever experienced!

I was taking cali out for a walk, a nice long one, we were gone for about 2 hours, she was having a great time, we met some friendly dogs that she played with and it was a lovely sunny afternoon, all was going well until we were about 10 mins from home, and right near the bit that I put her on the lead. She saw a dog on the otherside of the trees and decided to run through and say hello, I called her to come back, as I prefer her not to run off like that, altho she often doesn't listen because she gets so excited whenever she meets another dog or person, because she is so friendly, then I saw both of them run round the trees towards me, and I thought they were playing, then suddenly, cali comes running towards me yelping with the dog fast at her heels. The dog was a full grown staffie, I was very scared, I called cali to me when I saw the dog was trying to attack her, but she wanted to run, but I thought, if she runs and she can't outrun the dog then it might catch up to her far away from me and just maul before I even have a chance to reach her, or they might have ran out into the road, even though the road wasn't very close, so my mind thought very quickly, get her to me and I will pick her up, so I called her too, me and the dog, started grabbing hold of her throat just as I tried to pick her up (she is big and heavy so not so easy), then the dog had her completely by the throat and started thrashing her, I grabbed hold of her tightly and punch the dog on the head, and screamed please let go, please let go, cali was screaming and yelping this whole time, and finally the owner caught up with us, the owner took hold of her dog and tried to get her dog off, but the dog was having none of that, it just held on for dear life, the owner tried really hard but couldn't get her off, I kept saying please get her off... I was near tears at this point, I even pulled out some treats to give to the dog to distract it. Then the owner started really pulling her dog, and I suddenly had a vision, of her pulling her dog off and the dog taking cali's throat with it and blood pouring out! I was terrified, I really thought Cali was going to die and really expected these to be her last moments, I started crying and screaming and punching the dog, and eventually the owner got the dog off her neck. I hugged cali so close to me, then I quickly checked the neck and was so relieved to see hardly any blood or marks there. I was shaking and trembling so much. The owner then apologised profusely, she was very upset too, but she said, my dog always does that when she is surprised, and later I thought, if your dog has done that before it should be muzzled and on a lead. I didn't take her details because of the shock, I just put cali on her lead and walked round the corner, where I couldn't stop shaking and began to cry once more. Some nearby people had heard the commotion, since cali was yelping so loud, they came over to see if I was ok, then we walked home.

As soon as I got through the door I checked her wounds and couldn't see anything too bad, I called my husband, cried down the phone and then phoned the vet. The vet saw as straight away and was very nice to me and cali. They shaved off her fur round the next and cleaned it all up. Cali was lucky to have escaped this ordeal with just a graze to her neck, there were no puncture wounds from the teeth, just some blood and grazing to the skin, it looked quite nasty but was not bad, they gave her anti-biotics and pain killers and it cost us £87!

I am so happy that she is ok, and she is absolutely fine, she is playing and running around like nothing happened, but me, well that's another matter. I didn't sleep well last night and I keep getting flashbacks of the event, it was terribly distressing for me because I really thought she was going to die, it was just awful.

Thanks for listening to me...

Kat x

What a horrible scare but thankfully Cali received only a very minor wound. Certainly, since that owner knew that her dog could react like that to a "surprise", she should have had the dog on lead and muzzled (IMO) because that dog could easily have killed Cali or another dog.

What does surprise me is that, with the strength a Staffordshire Terrier has in those jaws, that Celi did not receive any significant puncture wounds. I really wonder why that happened, and I hope someone will have experience to shed some light on that.

Another thing you will want to improve, and I'm sure you are well aware of that, is Cali's recall when she is excited. I also have a dog that has a terrific recall under "normal" circumstances but I am having to work on improving it under more "exciting" circumstances. I am sure others will have some good advice for you concerning that.

I'm grateful she is going to be just fine (although you may find some issues in the future with strange dogs or bully dogs as she could easily be afraid of them now, and for good reason) and I hope you are able to cope with your fears and trauma.

How frightening for you! We've had our share of incidents with dogs off leash, but thankfully no actual wounds. And each time, I was more concerned about Scooter's safety than mine. I've really had to work at overcoming my fear of taking Scooter out for walks now. So many irresponsible dog owners out there.

As mentioned before, keep working on the recall. Scooter's a little lax in that department too. :rolleyes:

Someone recently posted about their dog being attacked (sorry, I don't recall who it was now) and it was having some throat/swallowing issues due to bruising of the throat, so you might want to keep an eye on that for a while.

Hopefully, Cali won't be so traumatized by this that it becomes a problem. She's pretty young, which might be a good thing. Probably going to be harder for you to let go of it than Cali.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I know how scary it can be. :D

I am sorry this happend to you and Cali, and am very glad that she will be okay. And I agree that the other owner should have never let her dog off leash.

But just because she likes other dogs and people, it doesn't mean the feeling is mutual. You always need to ask permission of the other owner before allowing your dog to say hello. One of my dogs would not react well at all to a loosed dog running up to him. And it would be very hard for me to manage my own leashed dog while trying to get someone elses "just want to say hi" dog to leave him alone.

Do start working very hard on recalls and emergency downs. And I wouldn't let her run loose again until her recall is rock soild.

I'm sorry to hear Cali had to go through that. I'm glad she's going to be ok but as someone else mentioned, I would keep an eye on her throat and neck for the next few days.

Your description of Cali reminds me of our Josie. Josie is also 8 mos old, extremely friendly and does not have a 100% recall. Whenever she sees another dog, she wants to run up to them and lick them in the face. Unfortunately, in the dog world, that is considered very rude. JJ (the bc laying down in my signature) & I are doing our best to teach her better manners but it's slow going. In the county we live in, we don't have a leash law but until Josie learns better manners and her recall is at 100%, she will never be allowed off leash even if all we're doing is walking from the front door to the truck. That might sound a bit strict to some but we have a dog aggressive dog that lives next door (who also does not have 100% recall). Sada has bad hips now and can't run very fast but when you have an over-friendly (and submissive) puppy, she won't need too. Plus, as long as Josie is on a leash, it would be easier for me to get between her and Sada if I have too.

It will/does hurt Josie's feelings when she's not allowed to be friendly towards other dogs but she'll get over that alot faster than healing from an injury.

Oh, man! I am glad you took her to the vet and everything is ok. That is terrible! Keep an eye on her around similar looking dogs and make sure she doesn't develop any fear/aggression around staffie looking dogs. This, I am sure was very traumatic for her too!

Also, keep in mind, if this ever happens again. Take off your jacket and throw it over the aggressing dogs head. It should stop the dog enough for you to get your dog away. Pulling, tugging and yelling will only heighten the prey drive instinct that has taken over.

I really hope there are no other issues like this again, obviously, but every one should be prepared for the worst!

Hugs from us!

julie & daisy

You are very lucky! I agree with others that aggressive dogs, especially bully breeds, should be muzzled. Bully breed owners have to be even more careful because their dogs already have a bad rap.

I am NOT blaming your dog, far from it, but I think every dog needs a super reliable recall if allowed off leash. If your dog is off leash, runs up to an on leash dog and gets attacked it would technically be your fault.

My own BC has been attacked twice by bully breed dogs. The second time he was saved from the worst because the dog was biting through its own lips at the same time it was biting Sage's neck. The attacking dog was left with holes on its lips over each canine tooth. My dog was left with relatively shallow puncture wounds around his neck and shoulders, bruising to his larynx and trachea as well as bloody scrapes down his chest and abdomen from the attacking dog's nails.

I'd have to guess the other dog wasn't trying to hurt Cali. I had a BC/Shepherd cross with extremely dense neck fur that was attacked by a very large dog, but it wasn't a 'pit bull' breed, and Chris had so much fur that the teeth couldn't get past it all. But in the fight you describe, the Staffie would draw a lot of blood if he was trying to kill Cali.

Chris was attacked a number of times in his life while we were jogging. He was always leashed, so I didn't feel sorry for the other dog. The only time I saw him draw blood was in the attack mentioned above, where the other dog had him by the neck (and it takes a big dog to shake a 100 lb dog by the neck!). Blood was flying everywhere, but it turned out none of it was Chris's. Other than that, he'd pin the other dog and hold him until he was satisfied the lesson was learned. Lots of noise and movement, but no blood.

If you've never seen a dog fight, they look awful. And if a 'bully breed' attacks with intent to kill, I'm sure that would be terrifying. However, the latter doesn't match your description.

How scary! I am all tense just reading about it. I can't imagine how awful, to be the owner of the pup being thrased. Also awful, being the owner of the dog doing the thrashing!

That owner DEFINITELY should have her dog under control. Period. My dog is reactive, and I always have him leashed and restrained when 'friendly' dogs run up to us - as long as it's not a completely unexpected approach. I can't imagine wanting to unleash a dog who has picked up other dogs by the neck in the past!

It is quite difficult to manage sudden meetings sometimes when you own a reactive dog. I often stand there, controlling my dog, as I try to chase off several big labs or rotties or ridgebacks whose owners do NOT have them under control: "Come on Scooter. Scooter! Come on! Scoooter. Come here boy! Scooter, come here! Scooter! Scooter! Come here! Scooter! Come on, boy! Over here! Stop it! Scooter! Come here! Scoot! Come here!"

I advocate control for all. :rolleyes:

So, I'd agree with the folks who suggest keeping the pup leashed in unknown meeting situations. My dog would definitely want to teach that young'un a "lesson" about respect. Luckily for me, Buddy just wants the other dogs to back off. If they do that, he's happy to relax and let them trot away. Until you know the other dog and how he'll react, it's safest for your overly friendly pup to not be able to chance another encounter like that.

I had my dog in the woods today, and he was mobbed by three rowdy labs and a little sheltie pup. I know the owners of the pup want to let him have free time off leash - but it's really an annoyance to me, having to deal with such a rowdy mob and make sure the pup doesn't get nipped, all the while holding a leash that's likely to get tangled around my dog's legs at any moment, increasing the stress and likelihood of reactivity. ::Sigh::

Mary

But just because she likes other dogs and people, it doesn't mean the feeling is mutual. You always need to ask permission of the other owner before allowing your dog to say hello.

What she said.

Also, if the other dog had had any intention of killing Cali, Cali would be dead. End of story. The fact that there was nothing but minor scrapes belies the serious picture you present. Certainly it was scary for you, but both you and the other owner are at fault here. Cali may be a very friendly dog, but other dogs and owners have a right to go for a walk without being harassed by your dog, just like you and your dog have a right to not be attacked while out on walks. If I were you, I'd keep Cali on a lead in public until she has a solid recall. Otherwise, some other dog will eventually, once again, take it upon himself to teach Cali some manners and once again, it may not be pretty.

What a frightening experience! I'm sure you must still be very shaken from it, and I'm glad Cali was not seriously hurt.

I don't think the opinion of anyone from a different country about who was at fault carries any weight, since we are not in a good position to know what's considered customary and proper where you live. In any case, I doubt you were looking for an assessment of blame. It might be worth considering bringing a stout walking stick on future walks, whether or not Cali is on a lead. It would probably be good for your peace of mind, which must need some boosting just now, and will help you not to feel apprehension and fear, which Cali might pick up on.

You've gotten good advice from others.

I'm sorry this happend, but I'm glad Cali is fine. I know that feeling when a dog is growling and running after your dog. It's not a good feeling. ((hugs))

I'm with Solo, in that both you and the other owner are at fault here. Yes, she should have had her dog under control, but so should you. You said the owner admitted her dog does this when surprised...well, your dog whooshed in and surprised her, which would not have happened if your girl had a good recall, or if she were on leash. You should always assume, for safety's sake and out of politeness, that the other dog you and your dog are approaching does not want to say hello. Of course, if the owner says its ok, by all means, allow your pup to greet the other dog. But, waiting to ask and see also gives you a chance to gauge the other dog before releasing your dog to say hello. Not all dogs that owners claim to be friendly will be friendly with your dog. These are things you have to keep in mind when it comes to protecting your dog, unfortunately. If I see a dog who I think has the potential to react negatively with my dogs, and the owner claims they're just friendly, I casually wave them off and apologize, explaining that my dogs aren't friendly. (Which is not true, but I'd rather fib than risk a scrap.) Also, it helps to teach your pup 'leave it' on walks, indicating that she should ignore the passer-by. This sort of thing takes time, but its well worth it!

Sorry your puppy had to have such a traumatic experience. I think a good reason as to why your dog didn't have many injuries is due to your intervention...bully breeds latch on, and then they thrash. Its the thrashing from side to side that renders holes in the skin. Though grabbing dogs during a fight is dangerous, it seems that you prevented your pup from having any serious injuries by doing so. Glad to hear she is ok, ad I hope she gets some more positive interaction in the future.

I don't think Cali's owner is at fault in this case because the other dog, who was known to be aggressive, was off lead. Had the dog been on lead it would have been a different story. I don't think there is any good excuse for walking a aggressive dog off leash in public.

...I think a good reason as to why your dog didn't have many injuries is due to your intervention...bully breeds latch on, and then they thrash. Its the thrashing from side to side that renders holes in the skin. Though grabbing dogs during a fight is dangerous, it seems that you prevented your pup from having any serious injuries by doing so...

Disclaimer: I've never owned a 'pit bull', nor seen one in a fight. I did see my BC/Shepherd Chris get attacked by numerous other breeds while we were jogging with him on a leash. I never saw any dog really do any side to side thrashing, apart from the time the very large dog attacked Chris - he initially shook Chris's 105 lbs side to side, then forced him down and under, using his weight to control Chris. And yet, after I broke up the fight (smashed the largest rock I could find on the dog's hips) and pulled Chris away, I discovered that none of the blood was from Chris. After washing him and searching thru his fur for any holes, all I found was a small, 1/4 inch hole near his face. Since there was a LOT of blood, and it wasn't coming from Chris, the other dog must have been cut up bad underneath.

I mention it because yelling, crying and pulling are NOT good ways to break up a fight. That is more like cheering the aggressor dog on, in dog terms. You might as well shout "Sic him! Kill" as shout "Stop!" The noise and excitement register. The meaning of the words do not.

When Chris was attacked as a puppy, I had good luck going for the dog's throat and forcing it up onto its hind legs. A vertical dog has no power to move - as long as you can keep it vertical and avoid its teeth. Later, I usually let Chris take the initial brunt of the attack. Against most dogs, he would win in 10-15 seconds with no blood shed. In addition to the above rock, I once grabbed a 30 lb male dog by his testicles and squeezed and pulled. As he came off, I swung him around by the balls and released. It worked, but it was a terrible idea - there were 5 dogs attacking Chris, and the only reason the fight ended was because Chris caught the leader of the pack and made him scream.

The best idea I've seen on this thread is to cover the dog's head with a jacket. I was usually jogging in shorts and a T-shirt, but that suggestion sounds plausible. But screaming and pulling is NOT a good technique!

Thanks to everyone who left kind messages and hugs, and also advice. Because this has never happened to me before, I simply didn't know what to do, the shouting and crying and tugging just came out with fear, but now I have some advice, I think the coat thing and the pulling the hind legs are good ideas, so thanks for that.

I wasn't trying to place blame either, I know I am at fault to, but the problem is, how do you teach a puppy to come in exciting situations if you don't take her into those exciting situations to train her? I had her off the lead because she was training, and she did really well up to that point, guess she was tired by then as it was near the end of the walk. I know Cali still needs training but I will never have her on the lead at all times because I am still training her and can't do that on the lead. I do believe the owner is also at fault because she knew her dog had done that before, and that is just terrible.

I just wanted some hugs and sympathy, not trying to blame anyone.

Kat x

but the problem is, how do you teach a puppy to come in exciting situations if you don't take her into those exciting situations to train her? I had her off the lead because she was training, and she did really well up to that point, guess she was tired by then as it was near the end of the walk. I know Cali still needs training but I will never have her on the lead at all times because I am still training her and can't do that on the lead.

Hi Kat. First I want to say how sorry I am that you went through that. The sound of my dog screaming is probably one of the worst sounds I've heard, and don't want to hear again. Jedi was attacked by a cat of all things. :rolleyes:

So in regards to your question above, you can train a dog on lead. For certain things like recall. you would need a long lead 30 to 40 ft. This gives your dog the chance to be a distance away from you, and even start running to something and you can practice calling him back safely. It takes a long time to build a solid recall and involves also building a strong relationship with your dog. After having Jedi for almost a year, I am just now feeling confident in Jedi's recall.

Georgia

Cali is a teenager right now, so no matter how solid her recall was as a pup it is going to get worse for at least a few months, if not longer. She should be on a long line in open, public places until she is past this rebellious period in her life and her recall is solid again.

Don't feel bad about panicking. My dogs have been attacked (not fights, but outright attacks) 3 times. The first time I was amazingly calm, as was I the second time. The third time I did flip out, but partly because it was the second attack on the same dog and the aggressor was a huge bully breed dog who really meant business. I was afraid of getting hurt since he was moving so fast and so intent.

Cali is a teenager right now, so no matter how solid her recall was as a pup it is going to get worse for at least a few months, if not longer. She should be on a long line in open, public places until she is past this rebellious period in her life and her recall is solid again.

^^What she said. My dog is the same age as Cali and his recall was literally 100% until recently, maybe 6 weeks ago. Now it is only 90%, but the couple times he didn't come when I called were frightening in and of themselves - no attack needed! There are many lovely (but dog-unfriendly) pitties in my neighborhood and he must always be on leash now until we get this straightened out for his own safety. Which is a real bummer, since we used to be able to walk to take the trash out together, go from car to house, or hang out on our steps talking, with Odin off lead, and *most* of the time now he would still be fine. But I do realize that in safety terms, a recall is only as good as the time it failed you.

A couple of pointers I got from the board and that I have used successfully:

-When you do find yourself in that situation during training or by accident or whatever that Cali takes off and is ignoring your recall, don't move towards her - run away, looking over your shoulder and calling.

-When a large dog is fast approaching you and your dog, try pulling yourself up, finding every bit of confidence and control in you, and boom "SIT!" in a deep voice at the other dog. This obviously wouldn't be foolproof, but even a dog I told to sit this way that didn't sit immediately switched demeanor and became playful/curious rather than aggressive/excited/intensely interested. Another dog actually sat. I just share this one in hopes you could avoid the need for jackets all together!

I really sympathize and understand how traumatic/frightening the situation you describe would be - I hope you are feeling better by today and some of the stress is fading.

ETA I typed "will be", then HAD to change it. I hope this is not a situation we'll inevitably find ourselves in!

I had her off the lead because she was training, and she did really well up to that point, guess she was tired by then as it was near the end of the walk. I know Cali still needs training but I will never have her on the lead at all times because I am still training her and can't do that on the lead.

You've got a couple of options. First, like others have suggested, is a long line. You can do just about everything on a long line as you can do with your dog being loose and it keep you in control of the situation. Second is to find a place where you can safely work off lead without the distraction that are proving to be too much temptation for her.

Right now, even though your objective may be to train her, she is learning the opposite of what you want by having the option of running off when you call her. And it is reinforced every time she is abe to do it.

I would start doing a couple of things right away with Cali. First off is recalls, recalls, recalls. Keep high value treats with you when out walking (with Cali on a long line) and every time she comes, throw a party and be generous with treats. Then release her calmly and go on your way. Repeat this several times in the course of your walk.

The next thing I would do is train her to give you eye contact before you release her to greet someone or another dog. You can start by having her give you eye contact before she gets a treat, her meals, her toys, going outside. Her release to go greet someone becomes her reward for focusing on you first.

"...she is learning the opposite of what you want by having the option of running off when you call her. And it is reinforced every time she is able to do it."

Has anyone tried an electric collar for situations like this? Dan the Dog will NOT be fooled by a 40' lead - he knows exactly when he is loose, and when he is not.