BC Boards

Need some new Kong stuffing ideas

Guest maya's mom

Hah ... once Wootie jumped in the air and licked the pear I was holding 17 times in succession. BOING! Lick. BOING! Lick. My dog walker, who is also a trainer, exploded at about leap 9 and screamed WHY ARE YOU LETTING HIM DO THAT?Cuz it was funny?

:D I absolutely needed some humor today and this hit the spot.

Oh and Maya's mum...I absolutely totally get the guilt thing. That is what had me out at 10:00 last night in the rain, holding an umbrella and throwing the ball. I can't believe I actually admitted doing that. :rolleyes: My neighbors think I'm a nut case. I really use to be quite sane pre-border collie.

I find this thread very interesting. I leave Meg a Kong filled with treats when I am going out for a few hours. I like the idea of a frozen treat but am not sure what type of Kong you use. The one I have is like a red ball with ridges on the outside. The opening seems quite small so I wonder if there is a different Kong to use for frozen treats. Thank you.

She is barking at the door to go. So, will this settle it self down as she gets older.........or am I turning her into a dog that requires activity all of the time? That being said, after the playtime outside, etc......she does rest for a while. On weekends, when we play outside for an hour or so, she will come in and sleep for an hour or two, before "letting us know" she is ready to play again. Is this normal 1 year old behavior?

The more you jump to her "demands" the more it will become an occurrence Play and attention should be on your terms unless she is telling you she needs to go out and potty. Otherwise teaching her that when she is ready to play or wants attention and giving it to her, will only make things worse. Expect her to be settled in the house until you are ready to go do something. Don't feel sorry for her. Dogs are pretty accepting to routine and if you routine is to come home at 4 from work she doesn't feel like she is missing out on anything. Its just a part of her routine. I think teaching a "settle" command will do wonders. The more quite and relaxed in the house the better. :rolleyes:

I have never regretted teaching the "out" command. (Well except for now that we are doing agility! :rolleyes: ) It means get out of the room you are currently in, out of the corral, out of that pasture. I don't care what you do just get away! :D

We have used also used pb, cheese, hard treats, and the freezing. Usually use them for kennel entertainment.

I have 3 Kong's, but rarely use them- only out of my own guilt. I kind of think that's what you are doing. My NOW, down to 2 dogs- not another until after Christmas (so I say-LOL) When I get a new dog in that isn't used to a crate, I put a Kong in there- then I feel guilty and give Usher and Bliss one too. It must be awful difficult listening to another dog enjoying a Kong and licking treats out of it when your "box" is right next door.

My dogs sleep in their crates at night- only because I want MY bed to myself. They enjoy their crates and go in by themselves around 10 PM. The only time I use Kong's is when I have to go somewhere for several hours or my Mom BBSits Bliss. It makes it easier on her - she really doesn't need baby-sitting, but my MOM enjoys the company.

I'm enjoying the ideas that you all have offered. Cheaper than buying the stuff. I use peanut butter with a little of the store bought squirt and their own dog food or cracked up in small pieces treats.

I like the yogurt idea. I'm enjoying this thread- thanks for starting it.

Guest maya's mom

Yes, this thread has gotten very interesting and informative! I am meeting with Maya's trainer on Friday, so these issues will definitely be brought up. You have all helped me realize that I will not cause her too much grief, if I ask for some "me time" now and then. That being said, from those I know who have owned and trained BC's, they say Maya is well behaved and calm for her age. I think when we got her, I got too caught up in the stigma that some have placed on BC's. That being, that if you aren't doing something with them ALL of the time, that you will have a destructive, etc dog on your hands. While I am sure that this is true in some cases, especially in cases where the dog has no family interaction, no exercise, no mind developing, etc....this is not true of someone like me and my husband. (And obviously, all of the people on this board.) We give her time, attention, training, love, exercise, work, and more..........and I need to realize that she has a great life. And that I can have a night off once in a while!

All in all, this has been a nice venting session for me, and has definitely alleviated much of the guilt that I was feeling. Thanks all!

Don't feel guilt. Dogs are NOT kids. I wish I could have kenneled my children at times- LOL. You can make mistake with BOTH kids and dogs and they are so forgiving. All of us have different opinions on crating. I crated my first BC until she was 17 and fell ill. Then I lifted her to the bed and I found her in the morning in her crate. Some people think crates should be put aside after a certain age- some don't.

Opinions are like a$$holes, we all have one and some of them stink- LOL. You take in people's knowledge and there is a lot here! Work it into what you want to do and it seems to work. I NEVER clicker trained before, I'm doing that now- with lots of thanks to the people on the boards. NOT on sheep, but with obedience. It worked wonders with my last rescue.

Border collies "chill" like most dogs. Mine took a nap with me- only time allowed on the bed. Sure, they were covered with mud and a little sheep poop- gotta love it. That's just part of the breed.

Maya doesn't have to be entertained 24/7. Neither do un-furry children. I had my g-daughter her and 20 month g-son. I gave him his "shopping basket" while I cleaned and put her on my pogo games to earn me some badges. Left Bliss with her and Usher with Dominic and me.

Don't fret too much. Sounds like you want the best for your dog. Just enjoy!!

I find this thread very interesting. I leave Meg a Kong filled with treats when I am going out for a few hours. I like the idea of a frozen treat but am not sure what type of Kong you use. The one I have is like a red ball with ridges on the outside. The opening seems quite small so I wonder if there is a different Kong to use for frozen treats. Thank you.

Hi Elizabeth,

Is this the one you have?

TYK2_P.lg.jpg

I generally use one like this for stuffing.

TYK_P.lg.jpg

It's interesting to hear about different people's styles of life with their dogs. I honestly can't be bothered to make my dogs be anywhere in particular while I eat. They can sit right next to me and watch for all I care - they actually rarely do. I never really taught them not to bother me while I eat, but somehow they learned that they don't get their tidbit until I'm done, so they laze about doing their own thing while I eat. Sometimes I sit on a step stool and watch them eat in the morning and they don't mind, either. They watch me, I watch them. They don't watch me, I don't watch them - whatever. It's no big deal.

I even put a little carpet in my kitchen sometimes so Dean can lie nearby and watch while I prepare food. I like having his company while I work in the kitchen and he enjoys watching. It's a win-win in my book.

I'm not saying I'm right and anybody else is wrong. Just different ways of living.

Kristine-

I think YOU were the one that told me about the clicker. I'm old school and a "good boy, or good girl" did it for me, but with this rescue, starting from scratch- it was a godsend. Thank you.

As for me, mine always get the "last bite" guess that trains them to be a beggar.

Who cares- enjoy your dogs!

P.S. I use the 2nd pic for stuffing.

Sorry if I missed it, but there IS something else you can do with your dog. Yes, it requires your time and attention - but in the long run, it'll be worth it. Call it mental exercise. You don't always have to be out doing lots and lots and lots of physical exercise (though some of that is necessary too) - a young dog can easily be tired out by just using her brain! There are thousands of tricks that can be taught, shaped with the clicker, lured or rewarded, however you can figure it out. THIS will also result in a well-mannered dog - who will leave you alone while you eat. (I cannot stand having dogs underfoot/under my arm/under the table when I eat - no kongs, no nothing - just "leave me alone!" and since that's all they've ever known or done, that's what they do!)

Saw a couple of cute tricks recently:

1) "Stick 'em up!" - dog stands up on hind legs, with front legs raised.

2) "What do boy dogs do?" (this only works with a girl dog!) - dog backs up or edges up to furniture, tree, etc. and lifts one hind leg!

And my all time favorite (actually was performed by an Aussie):

"Would you rather be a (fill in the breed name) or dead?" - dog lies on side, apparently 'dead.'

"Would you rather be a (another one) or dead?" - same reaction.

This can go on forever, since the 'cue' is the word dead!

Best of luck in your training!

diane

Hi Elizabeth,

Is this the one you have?

TYK2_P.lg.jpg

I generally use one like this for stuffing.

TYK_P.lg.jpg

HI Sluj thanks so much for going to all the bother...that was so kind. Yes it is the red one on top I have. I will get the other type next time I am in the pet shop. Thanks again.

Kristine-

I think YOU were the one that told me about the clicker. I'm old school and a "good boy, or good girl" did it for me, but with this rescue, starting from scratch- it was a godsend. Thank you.

I'm glad I was able to help!

As for me, mine always get the "last bite" guess that trains them to be a beggar.

Ironically I haven't found this to be the case. They know they are getting a "bite", they trust that, so they don't hang about begging. They don't need to beg to get something and they know it.

I'm not saying I think everyone should dole out table scraps. My dogs like them and I like to share things that they like with them, so it's my preference, but the end result isn't what I would consider begging. Every now and again when we are having something particularly enticing, they will give us longing looks while we eat, but that's rare. Like I said before, the norm is that they scatter and laze about, much as they do when we watch TV. They tend to lie around nearby, but not in a bad way.

When I'm finished and I call them for their "bit", they all come and sit nicely and wait their turns for their piece. It's pretty nice.

Guest maya's mom

I agree with the people who said that they don't like having their dogs near by while they eat. (My in-law's 90 pound lab drooling on your leg while eating, is NOT pleasant!!) I guess that is why I started the Kong. Again, please remember that when we started this, my husband and I had no experience with training a dog. So, it isn't until now, a few months later, that we are understanding what to do and how to do it. The above mentioned lab always gets table scraps during and after dinner, so I knew that giving Maya our food, while eating it, was something I did not want to do. I am going to work with our trainer to get some ideas on how to wean off using the Kong as a distraction while we eat dinner. Also, Diane, thanks for the ideas on a few new tricks. I do "mental exercise" with Maya everyday, but yes, I am running out of ideas for new tricks. We are still doing a lot of obediance work.......sit/down stays while I do various things (leave the room, go to the door, etc.).......she is working on going to a "place" and sitting, when the door bell rings.......and a number of other tasks that are on a list of exercises our trainer gave us. I have seen a few threads here listing different tricks/commands to teach, so I will go back and search that. Also, the last time the trainer was over, she used a clicker, and suggested that it might work well for us. So, I think I will follow up on that as well, seeing that a number of you have had good results with that. Again, thanks all!

Mental stimulation goes a long way with "smart" dogs. I feed Daisy her kibble every night in either a buster cube or the ball version of it after we do our homework. She gets so happy and excited when we are working on new behaviours or even old ones for that matter that casing her food around for 30 minutes gives her time to come down from her previous excitement. Once she's done her dinner, she curls up in her bed and hangs out.

On the topic of dogs with bad manners....I once dated a guy who's parents were old hippies and literally every animal in the house was a member of the family. They had 5 large breed dogs and I remember on several occasions I actually had to remove one from my spot at the table (sitting on the chair too) so I could eat dinner. THAT was insane!

I also spend some time each evening with my pups on lead by my feet as I watch TV or do paperwork. I define what they can't do (no bugging me, no pulling, no chewing the lead,chair, or me), keep the lead relatively short (under my foot at first) and after that it's for them to figure out. Pretty quickly they just say "blugh...I'll just flop here and rest". Then I reward quietly. Eventually I name it "settle down". I want them to learn to manage themselves appropriately - not depend on me to explain it minute by minute.

THANK YOU for posting this!! I have not been able to find an "off" swtich for Archer yet so I am DEFINITELY going to try this!!

Sorry, I don't have anything better to add than what's already been posted. Great ideas!!

Thank you for the suggestions. To clear it up, my husband and I started giving her a Kong while we ate, b/c it took her attention away from us and allowed us some breathing room and down time. We work all day, and get home in the late afternoon. I do come home at lunch time, to play with Maya for about 15-20min, and take her for a short walk. Right now, we are both home around the same time...by 4pm.....and we immediately take her out of her crate and play outisde for an hour. Frisbee, soccer, running, etc. Maya then usually watches me pick up the house and make dinner. Again, we give her the Kong so she doesn't pay attention to our food while we eat. She is not yet a year old, and though we do go to group classes, and have a trainer come to the home, Maya is still learning "good behavior." I guess I feel better giving her the Kong to focus on, instead of just commanding her to lay down, etc while we eat. Also, she gets slightly excited around this time, b/c she knows that after we eat, is when we go for our nightly 2 mile walk

Just get to her to lie down on her mat, wherever it is. There is nothing wrong that a dog learning just to chill out and relax - they don't always have to be occupied. It's good for them - mine just usually fall asleep. At a year old she certainly should be able to easily spend at least 1/2 hour on her mat relaxing.

When sent to their mat, my dogs aren't required to lie down. As long as they stay within the boundaris of their mat, they can sit, lie down, stand, it's up to them to choose what they want to do, but when they realize they are going to be there for a while they just curl up and go to sleep. My youngest is just coming up 6 months old and she can just chill out on her mat easily for half an hour.

Kong stuffing idea:

1. Take some raw ground meat (I used ground turkey), put a bit in the Kong and smush it to the inside all the way around near the opening.

Freeze that.

2. Add some yogurt and do the same thing - smear it around all the way just inside the opening. Freeze again.

3. Once the meat and yogurt are frozen, stuff the rest with some of that cut up Natural Balance roll stuff.

Granted, I'm stuffing a Kong for a dog for whom weight is not an issue. If I were, that particular Kong would probably be dinner!

It worked well. It took him a while to finish with it and it wasn't messy at all.

Other Kong stuffing ideas... honey, mashed potatoes and bananas. When I have bananas sitting around for too long, I peel them, put them in a ziplock bag and stick them in the freezer. Then when I stuff kongs, I break them into pieces and they fit perfectly into the large kong opening!

If you google "kong stuffing", a lot of cool ideas pop right up.

Maya's mom: I feed my dogs before I feed myself. They easily learned that the fun time is when their food appears and to leave me alone when's it's my turn to eat. This is one place where having a routine really works well for everyone.

Maya's mom: I feed my dogs before I feed myself. They easily learned that the fun time is when their food appears and to leave me alone when's it's my turn to eat. This is one place where having a routine really works well for everyone.

We do the same thing and find the same thing

I know I'm kinda late to this :rolleyes: , but really glad I stopped to read since it morphed into manners during mealtime.

We are odd here; we eat either on the floor in front of the tv or in a chair. Both scenarios are very challenging for dogs who are manner-less :D . Hence, with both our dogs, we have trained them to leave us alone COMPLETELY while we are eating, even if the food is on the floor. If there are any leftovers that are doggie-appropriate, Skye is told to help herself. The training worked so well (plus she is quite soft) that she needs an 'okay' about 3 times before she goes ahead. That being said, when we babysit friends' dogs, we not only have to 'dog-proof' the entire house, esp the kitchen, but have to do remedial puppy manner training with full-grown dogs :D .

By the front door in the hall, we put the containers that are going out to be recycled; these can include containers that may have remainders of food in them that Skye is free to lick. One day, I came home in a rush, with a bag of 6 Krispy Kreme donuts (a MAJOR treat at any time!), and unwittingly plunked them down in 'doggie lick zone'. Well, I forgot they were there, went out again and you can guess what was left when I came home. Very little mess, an empty bag and a very happy dog!

Ailsa

• 2 weeks later...

I think the trick with Kongs is layering them with the smelliest morsel at the far end, usually something fishy (tuna or a spoonful of canned cat food.)

Buy a small bag of a different kibble (perhaps higher grade than you usually use and with different ingredients, esp the meat used).

Green beans, rice, a dog treat (Lean treats are good).

I buy something called Nature Log at the pet store which is pressed meat in a sausage shape. It's lean and a big hit.

I agree about yoghurt & freezing it. It's never made a mess.

I wonder if you might also try a special chew toy (the chicken flavored inedible Nylabone is a big hit here) which you only give your dog at dinnertime and then put away.