BC Boards

I need your help

Ok, I have a question for you guys. There is a BC that is at the shelter I work at that is really scared. She won't hardly eat anything and won't go pee or poop unless I walk her outside of the shelter. I can't really just bring her home, even though I wish I could. She's the sweetest thing you have ever seen. I might be able to bring her home with me and then take her back to work during the week. It would at least give her time to eat and go to the bathroom. But would it be harder on her to go back and fourth than just being at the shelter? I want to do what's best for her, at least until I figure out if I can get her or not. What do you think is better? Keep her at the shelter and hope she gets used to it and starts eating, or take her home at night and back to work during the day?

Is this the dog you mentioned before AJ that you might bring home permanently?

I would definitely be tempted to bring her home, even if its temporarily. It will give her a chance. Esp if she's not eating.

Ailsa

I say try it - it really depends on the individual dog if overnight foster will help or hurt (this idea was just brought up this week on a shelter trainers group I'm in).

If coming home with you overnight does not improve her mental state or makes her more stressed, consider just taking her with you when you run errands, etc. on your lunch break; even a short trip out of the kennel may be helpful and a short trip makes it less likely that she'll have a rough transition back to the kennel.

Is there any way your shelter could get some Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP) spray? If so, you could spritz some on her bedding or on a bandana each day and see if that helps. Same with lavendar (essential oil diluted in water works well ime).

I'm inclined to think that taking the dog back and forth from your home to the shelter would most likely not make things worse for the dog. I've had great success with helping dogs deal with fears by taking them away from the things that they fear. That's not to say that the dog will love the shelter if you start taking her home, but I don't see it making things worse than they are presently when she is at the shelter. It would give her a break, anyway.

Of course, you never know how an individual dog would react, but in the same circumstance, I would try it.

Hi AJ,

This very issue comes up on a list I belong to called Sheltertrainers. The shelters who allow employees and volunteers take dogs home for "sleepovers" seem to swear by it. Getting out of the shelter usually helps the dogs according to those who do it. It really can't hurt and might help. Since you work at a shelter, you might be interested in this list. It is a Yahoogroups list. So I say take her home and give it a try.

My only experience is seeing dogs who have been fostered come back to the shelter, and they all seem quite happy and not worried about being there again. But I don't necessarily know what their behavior was like before they were fostered. Usually it is dogs who are too young, or injured, or sick.

Good luck. And please know that you are improving the lives of all the dogs you work with.

Kathy Robbins

Taking her home is a very good idea. She has no place and no person at the moment. Bringing her home and having her see you at the shelter may give her a more secure feeling. We took a dog in for a few days from a local shelter. She is a BC and did not do well in the shelter. She had become so scared that people viewing her did not want to adopt her. After a couple of days with us and our dogs she was playing and having a great time. She was adopted in a couple of days when we took her back. I trust and hope she has a great home now.

AJ-

I'd bring her home with you at night. That shows her the shelter is just her "day job" I did that for (just one special BC) I tried to avoid the pens. Man, this dog was a Mick double. I could barely resist. I think if you put some training on the dog, it will be easier placed. Also a Do not PTS- We had one of those, don't know if you do?

Did you know you MUST post a pic? It's the rules, dude.

As always-

Dianne

Thanks guys. I think I'll try and bring her home this week sometime. I noticed tonight that she isn't very excited to do stuff anymore and doesn't have much energy. I bought her a bag of Chicken soup dog food (that's what I feed Black Jack) and she seems to like it but still won't eat much if any. It really bothered me tonight. Normally after the other employee leaves and I'm still there (being manager is great isn't it? :rolleyes: ) I let her run in the office with me to get away from the kennels and other dogs. She follows me around and plays a little, but tonight she kept laying down and didn't want to do much. She goes in to get spayed on Friday so maybe I'll just take her until then.

Oh, and I will post a picture as soon as I get one. The only one I have right now is on my cell phone.

Thanks guys. I think I'll try and bring her home this week sometime.

...Oh, and I will post a picture as soon as I get one. The only one I have right now is on my cell phone.

Well? :D

and what's wrong with cell phone pics? :rolleyes:

Ailsa

As of now she's still at the shelter. She started to eat Black Jack's food that I took in to her but she has stopped eating again. She's getting spayed tomorrow morning so I'm going to go into work in the morning to take her in. So she'll be at the vets until Saturday morning. I'll have to see how she is after her spay.

ArchersMomma, yes I work at the Humane Society here in town. I'm actually manager. I'm not sure how that happend but I think I lost a bet :rolleyes: Just kidding. I would love to take them all home but since I know I can't I keep my space from them. They all mean so much to me but if I get to close I get burnt out. It's always hard to see them come and go if you get to attached. I wouldn't work anywhere else though.

As of now she's still at the shelter. She started to eat Black Jack's food that I took in to her but she has stopped eating again. She's getting spayed tomorrow morning so I'm going to go into work in the morning to take her in. So she'll be at the vets until Saturday morning. I'll have to see how she is after her spay.

How is she doing AJ? Has she come home with you yet? :rolleyes:

Ailsa