BC Boards

The things we do for our dogs

Blaze woke up with morning not wanting to open his eye. I tried flushing it with water, but it didn't do anything.

Turns out -after a $200 vet visit with and meds- it was just a piece of grass on his eye. :rolleyes::D

Ah, the things this dog has put me through. LOL But I love him to death.

I had a girl on one of my soccer teams that had a blade of grass in her eye (the very wide type of grass you can make noise with if you blow it between your fingers) and it actually cut her eye. So while its "just a piece of grass" chances are it was stuck in there since the day before and irritated the eye a lot!

Good thing Blaze is ok!

Been there, done that! Seems like one year we were in the vet's office every few months. I'm much calmer now. When Scooter acts "funny" I wait 30 minutes before calling the vet, instead of 15! LOL! :D:rolleyes: Nothing wrong with staying on top of things. They depend on us to take care of their needs. And we do, because we love them. Glad Blaze is doing better! :D

I tend to do a lot of watchful waiting. Maybe because I see a lot of human parents who jump at the first sign of anything unusal. Which is fine, really. I don't mind reassuring them.

I'm glad Blaze's eye is ok!

The other day, both Sasha and Zoe turned their noses up at dinner. They were both acting a little funny, sort of lethargic and blase. Zoe was not her normal bubbly self, and Sasha wouldn't even come up to the house for dinner. I resolved to watch them both carefully, as none of the other 5 showed any changes.

About 3 hours later, husband caught Rue with most of her wiggly self crammed into what was left of a 35lb bag of dog food... that had somehow fallen from on top of the bench onto the garage flood. And wouldn't you know it, all but a couple pounds were gone. Sasha and Zoe had gorged themselves silly. No wonder my normally ravenous gals weren't interested in more food.

By the next day, they were back to normal. Thank goodness we found the bag when we did, as I was getting pretty close to calling the vet by then.

:rolleyes: I'm sort of in between watchful waiting and over-anxious mom. Although, with eyes, I don't muck around. I've had a couple of scratches on the cornea - and it hurts - and there's always the risk of ulceration.

Cost me $70 last week to get Kirra's sore paw checked out - I waited a couple of days, but she was doing a fair bit of licking, and I couldn't quite see what the problem was. I ws thinking soft tissue injury, but in fact - luckily - it proved to be a shallow slanted cut across the webbing between a couple of toes. Don't ask me how she managed that. Anyway, precautionary a/bs for 5 days, and a bit more rest than normal, and keeping an eye on it to make sure it was clean, and she was pretty much right. Probably would have healed OK on its own - but hey - everyone's happy now. :D

Between Buzz's osteosarcoma and having senior pets, it's been a intensely medical year. In August, I took Shonie to the vet on a Saturday morning for bad pain in her hip, Buzz to the vet the following Monday for bloodwork, and Shonie back to the vet that Tuesday morning for an xray of what turned out to be very arthritic last two lumbar vertebrae, which were pinching her rear leg nerves.

We do a lot, but then, they give us a lot.

Ruth n the BC3

Whether I do watchful waiting or head off to the vet depends on the circumstances, the dog, and the body part involved. Like Ruth I've spent A LOT of money lately, mainly because of geriatric pets that are just going through old-dog and -cat stuff that can't be helped. I'd rather jump the gun than be sorry later that I ignored something important. Dogs, especially border collies, are quite stoic and often they don't show that there's a problem until it has gotten pretty bad. I won't take chances with my working partners and pets. That said, I don't run to the vet for diarrhea or slight lameness unless it persists or small cuts or punctures, but some seemingly mild things will have me off to the vet pronto (for example, when my best working dog just seems off, but not in any specific way that I can point to).

Like Ruth said, they give us a lot and although I probably have paid the yearly salary of one of the vets at my practice this year, I don't begrudge it.

J.

Annie goes to the vet at least once a quarter whether she needs it or not, and also if the slightest potential problem arises. Sometimes, the latter is not necessary, but better safe than sorry...

And as far as insane things we do for our dogs: Annie has taken to snuggling up with me while I watch television. But it is a bit chilly in our house (thermostat set at 62 degrees), as we are on a somewhat limited income and are minimizing our energy expenses. So I bought a baby-sized blanket, and Annie gets covered up so she can stay warm. She loves the blanket, and actually will lie there peacefully as long as she is covered. (I didn't say this was rational, and I'm not going to argue about it; after all, I started the paragraph by admitting that it was insane...)

(I didn't say this was rational, and I'm not going to argue about it; after all, I started the paragraph by admitting that it was insane...)

More insane than taking your dogs out at midnight to play frizbee, cuz that's what they are used to from the summer, then bringing them in and turning the A/C on so they can cool down, while you have to put on a sweater till that is accoplished??? :rolleyes:

when my best working dog just seems off, but not in any specific way that I can point to

Yup--that's the one that gets me off my butt, too!!

A