BC Boards

Introducing BINX

I've been lurking on these boards since last fall...it is a wonderful source of information.

After many warnings from both border collie lovers and haters, I decided to educate myself about the breed and thus registered on these boards and then got involved with Border Collie Rescue. My thought was, what better way to get to know the breed than to foster and train them and hang out with border collie people. Boy was I correct...

A wonderfully new world has opened up for me. Our rescue headquarters (MABCR) is located on a SHEEP FARM about an hour from my house, so I got the double whammy! I have spent every Saturday since last August on the farm, cleaning kennels, learning from and working with the dogs, and now most recently, worming and learning about sheep.

After fostering about 12 dogs (I still have 3 of them in my care!), I have just adopted my very own "perfect for me" boy! :rolleyes:

Binx thinks he wants to be a sheep dog; he has demonstrated this desire at the farm when he was barely 6 months old, so we have our first herding lesson scheduled for this Thursday evening...we'll probably see you in the stock section with a million questions soon!

We have also done some clicker training at home for basic manners (sit/down/stay) and will begin an Advanced Obedience Class in August (just for more fun).

Here’s a link to some pics of Binx when he first came home– he’s 7 months old…

http://picasaweb.google.com/anghers/Binx_0...229854745455890

another proud border collie parent :D

post-7868-1216134650_thumb.jpg

Angie congratulations and welcome to you and Binx both. Wow--You are the poster child for responsible decision-making. The lengths you went to to determine if a bc was the right fit for you are admirable. If only more people put the kind of thought and effort into acquiring their dog that you have, there would be far less need for rescues to begin with. Binx is sure a cutie, and lucky to have you (as all your fosters are, as well)

Thank you for the kind words :rolleyes:

Has anyone had a problem with obedience training a dog that is also working stock? I have heard that it can dampen his natural instincts and inhibit him from working independently.

I'm hoping that will not happen since he is starting so young on sheep. I'm not looking for Obedience titles...we are only doing the obedience for the partnership, the working under distraction (class environment), and to have another avenue of keeping his mind challenged.

Any thoughts or experience in this area? Should I repost this as a separate post? Should it be in Obedience or Stock Training?

thanks in advance for your direction!

I can't answer the question about herding, but obedience is the basis for any activity you want to do with you dog. I think any activity you do with your bc builds that relationship.

My quess would be that the dog's understand the difference between various activities and can switch from one to another. I would bet the more inportant questions are what are the dog's talents and what activities do you want to do with them?

mobcmom

'Gratz, Angie!

You've more than earned your happiness with Binx! All your hard work at the Farm is what makes it possible for The Boss to do as well as she does! Binx looks like a wonderful little guy and I wish you both many, many years of close work, companionship, and cooperation together!

Laird

Angie, what a beautiful boy and what a wonderful opportunity for you and all the dogs you have helped along the way. :rolleyes:

I think there is a huge difference between competition ob and just normal ob that will certainly help building the bond and learn about each other.

Angie - Congratulations to you and to Binx!

You really have done your homework, put in your time learning, and done a world of good for a wonderful organization and the dogs that need help from folks like you. Maybe I'll get to see you at December's clinic.

I think the only thing I would say about obedience and stockwork is that a stockdog needs to be an obedient dog, but not a mechanical dog. So your goal would be a dog that listens to you but is still capable of thinking and figuring things out. I guess what I am saying is a dog with talent, good manners, and respect for you that can be a working partner, rather than an animal that is dependent on rote training.

Very, very best wishes!

Angie wrote

Has anyone had a problem with obedience training a dog that is also working stock?

Hi Angie,

all dogs need some basic obedience, especially coming when called. You probably know from Sarah that we use "That'll do" as the recall for dogs that will hopefully work stock, as one of our directional commands or flanks, is come bye. If you've been using "Come" for your recall, don't worry, you can always use "go bye"

Alot of obedience classes are teaching "watch me", where the owner is asking the dog to be looking up at them alot. This is one thing I wouldn't do with a dog that I am going to train for stock work. The reason is that we want the dog focused on the stock and not on us.

Binx is very cute!

Nancy O

Alot of obedience classes are teaching "watch me", where the owner is asking the dog to be looking up at them alot. This is one thing I wouldn't do with a dog that I am going to train for stock work. The reason is that we want the dog focused on the stock and not on us.

Nancy O

Thank you for clearing that up for me Nancy; I was hoping this was the case. I have been careful NOT to do any of the "watch me" type of focus with him, as Sarah warned me about that.

Fortunately I have not added "Come" to his vocabulary - I just use his name with "here-here" or "lets go".

Suzy put him in the round pen again at Sarah's place last night and he did pretty well; he corrects VERY easily - Suzy said he's soft.

Binx and I are very much looking forward to tomorrow evening. :rolleyes:

Sooooo...

How long before you wind up owning stock, yourself..?

:D

I am trying to convince my husband that we could use a few sheep to help keep the grass cutting chores down for him ;-)

:rolleyes:

Guest maya's mom

Angie...........I can't believe how similar our pups look! Mine, Maya, is also around 7 months old. Same ears, same coat, and same "freckle" on nose!

post-8715-1216226510_thumb.jpg

Angie...........I can't believe how similar our pups look! Mine, Maya, is also around 7 months old. Same ears, same coat, and same "freckle" on nose!

Oh my goodness, Binx has a twin sister!!

The freckled nose puts me over the top, and I just love, love, love those ears!!

Thanks for sharing - I guess you already know I think she's gorgeous :rolleyes:

Guest maya's mom

I can't wait to show my husband Binx's pictures! That's funny how similar they look. I call Maya my "little freckle nose"!

Have fun with all of your training. We don't have stock, but are doing obedience and agility. Maya loves it!

post-8715-1216228465_thumb.jpg