BC Boards

Fourth of July Precautions

Last night we were playing a board game on the front porch, with the dogs tethered there with us, and suddenly we had forty pounds of border collie climbing up onto the board. We rescued our cards and tokens and were trying to figure out what had motivated Zandy to try and play Sequence, when the child pointed out that a couple of fire-crackers had just gone off.

Ten-month-old Zephyr was happily oblivious, as he is to most things that upset Zandy, and we hope that he stays that way. I plan to spend the evening of the Fourth throwing the ball for him as long as necessary. I'm not sure if anything other than a secure crate will help Zandy.

As some of you might know all 3 of my girls are noise phobic.

Some of the things we practice during the 2 weeks of almost non stop fireworks are, long work out times and walks, extra long playtimes and one thing that has seemed to have helped is I now have them wearing their backpacks in the house. The vet suggested it and said they might have a sense that they are doing something and it could help take their mind off the sounds.

They are taking medications but that alone isn't a magic bullet.

So far keeping them tired along with the medication is working. Now we only have to get through this weekend.

Good luck to you all.

Well not having Jedi last year, I wasn't really sure how'd he react. About 2 weeks ago our neighbor started letting fireworks off as a nightly "fun" neighborhood activity for the kids. This seem to coincide with our nightly walks. Well lo and behold I seem to have a BC that is an anomaly. He LOVES fireworks. :D He actually wants to get closer to join in with all the hootin and hollerin. He also totally ignores thunder. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that this never changes.

The flag pole down the street though....scariest thing in the world. :D

Same with Scooter. Nerves of steel, but watch out for that evil black trash bag on the curb! LOL! :rolleyes:

What to do with the dog?! I'm the one who keeps jumping out of my skin!! :rolleyes: Lots of "pre Fourth" fireworks in the neighborhood. Scooter's totally oblivious! :D

Despite laws to the contrary, folks around here do all sorts of fireworks in the front yards/back yards...

Uh huh. Good old Ohio. You can shoot 'em off, but can't buy fireworks here, so everyone goes across the state line to Michigan, then brings them back. Fun. :rolleyes:

If your dog is afraid of the "standard" noises (meaning thunder, gunshots, fireworks) do NOT, I repeat, NOT take her to the parade. She will not "get used" to it. She will have a traumatic experience and it will make the fear worse (she will be sensitized, not desensitized).

Unlike others, I think using meds sooner rather than later is the better option. Noise phobia almost always becomes worse over time, and when it's worse, it's a bigger problem to solve. Why wait until the dog is in abject fear to try to correct the problem? Better to nip it in the bud, while it's a smaller problem. It's like saying you should wait until the tumor is really huge before you go to chemo and radiation. Noise phobia is a problem that also gets worse over time and is better treated early.

Look at it this way. You are NOT going to hurt the dog by giving her a couple of Xanax on a few occasions. At the very worst she'll get a little stoned for a few hours and go around looking for munchies (yes, I have seen this happen) but there is pretty much zero chance of causing lasting damage. Meds like Xanax have very short half lives, they are not very expensive, and they normally only need to be given for specific situations, not every day. There is no way for a dog to get addicted and go around looking for her own pusher, so the standard caveats when prescribing for humans do not apply. As long as you stay out of your own dog's stash, there is no reason not to keep some benzodiazepines on hand for noise events. I would personally rather treat noise phobia early, as the possible risks are practically nil and the probable benefits are great. I have never, ever been able to figure out why people are so scared of medications, especially one as benign and potentially kind to the dog as Xanax. Why should dogs suffer through fireworks in terror, just because their owners think medication is icky?

I've already gotten Solo his .25mg of Xanax, and if it's not enough and the fireworks keep going on and on tonight (they start early around here) he'll be getting more.

If your dog is afraid of the "standard" noises (meaning thunder, gunshots, fireworks) do NOT, I repeat, NOT take her to the parade. She will not "get used" to it. She will have a traumatic experience and it will make the fear worse (she will be sensitized, not desensitized).

Unlike others, I think using meds sooner rather than later is the better option. Noise phobia almost always becomes worse over time, and when it's worse, it's a bigger problem to solve. Why wait until the dog is in abject fear to try to correct the problem? Better to nip it in the bud, while it's a smaller problem. It's like saying you should wait until the tumor is really huge before you go to chemo and radiation. Noise phobia is a problem that also gets worse over time and is better treated early.

Look at it this way. You are NOT going to hurt the dog by giving her a couple of Xanax on a few occasions. At the very worst she'll get a little stoned for a few hours and go around looking for munchies (yes, I have seen this happen) but there is pretty much zero chance of causing lasting damage. Meds like Xanax have very short half lives, they are not very expensive, and they normally only need to be given for specific situations, not every day. There is no way for a dog to get addicted and go around looking for her own pusher, so the standard caveats when prescribing for humans do not apply. As long as you stay out of your own dog's stash, there is no reason not to keep some benzodiazepines on hand for noise events. I would personally rather treat noise phobia early, as the possible risks are practically nil and the probable benefits are great. I have never, ever been able to figure out why people are so scared of medications, especially one as benign and potentially kind to the dog as Xanax. Why should dogs suffer through fireworks in terror, just because their owners think medication is icky?

I've already gotten Solo his .25mg of Xanax, and if it's not enough and the fireworks keep going on and on tonight (they start early around here) he'll be getting more.

Great post, I love the embedded humor! :rolleyes:

Same story here - too much noise, starting on JUNE 30 (hey, folks, it's not even JULY yet!) and going on forever. So, as usual, I load the two sound-sensitive dogs and the one non-sensitive pup into the camper and head to the mountains. It's cooler, quieter, and a nice break! Except it's Friday this year, and I'm nervous that there will be yay-hoos up there too (even though it's illegal to shoot them in the forest because of fire danger). Then, in Utah, we get to do it all over again on July 24th - Utah's Pioneer Day. Good excuse to use up all the leftovers. Ugh. This, and New Year's Eve, are my least favorite holidays. Best of luck to everyone.

diane

Uh huh. Good old Ohio. You can shoot 'em off, but can't buy fireworks here, so everyone goes across the state line to Michigan, then brings them back. Fun.

I thought MI people had to buy them in Indiana! There was a great article in our local paper today about Iraq war veterans and their reactions to fireworks/firecrackers.

Barb S

I thought everyone came here to Indiana to buy fireworks as well. There is a shop on every corner or parking lot it seems as well as the big warehouses full of them.

Currently it sounds like the Iraq Shock And Awe campaign outside and Koda is sleeping at my feet and Zak is looking up at me from chewing his bone. There have been a few huffs but that is about it and the windows are open with no background music or TV on. Sounds like my neighbors spent some serious money too!

I havent had Zak since a wee puppy but I have had Koda since 8 weeks old and Zak since 9 months almost to the day. I got to thinking today that they might be a bit unaffected by all of the noise because we live in a new neighborhood. I have a feeling that all of the house building going on around here has desensitized them a bit.

I hope all of your pups are doing as well as my pair of BCs here. The Chihuahuas seem oblivious as well.

And a happy Independence Day to you all! God bless those who have died and served (Thank you Dad) to give us this wonderful country and freedom. Our nation isnt perfect as its people are not perfect. But I would choose to live nowhere else in the world.

Ryan

Uh huh. Good old Ohio. You can shoot 'em off, but can't buy fireworks here, so everyone goes across the state line to Michigan, then brings them back. Fun.

I thought MI people had to buy them in Indiana!

Yup, you can't buy much more than sparklers in MI...

I've always been grateful that Missy is not bothered by storms or fireworks. She doesn't like the loud noise, but is not freaked out by them either. Leave her in the house and she's fine. Kipp can be a little anxious with storms, but I left him in his kennel tonight and he was his normal happy-go-lucky self when I came home from fireworks at the neighbors.

Uh huh. Good old Ohio. You can shoot 'em off, but can't buy fireworks here, so everyone goes across the state line to Michigan, then brings them back.

Same here, too - completely illegal in Massachusetts, so people drive to New Hampshire and load up. I was driving across the border the other day, and there's a giant sign saying, "FIREWORKS ARE ILLEGAL." And yet... my neighbors can stand outside in the public street, shooting off gigantic bombs, and it's as if everyone is deaf. Why have a law if you're going to tell the police not to really worry about it?

We got off a bit better this year than last. There were some serious loud ones going off, but not within maybe five houses of me. Last year, Buddy was actually shaking and crying; this year he just went under the bed and barked when the loudest ones went off. No shaking.

Mary

Jade did really well last night too... I decided to crate her with the air conditioner running (it's ridiculously loud) and turned the TV up really loud and watch the fireworks for just a couple of minutes and come in and check on her- she was sleeping when I came in. I think the bazillion trees around here helped insulate the sounds- they weren't even very loud outside where we watched them at.

On the way back from a BBQ at our friends last night, we drove to see some of the fireworks, with Ouzo in the car. He was perfectly fine, watching them for a while, then laying on the back seat and falling asleep while I was outside of the car, taking pictures. I love this dog!

Huge apartment complex burned to the ground last night in Toledo. Firefighters think it was an errant firecracker that landed on the roof of one of the buildings. Lots of noise in our neighborhood with all the law abiding citizens putting on their own shows. Scooter did really well. Slept through the whole thing. As for the Michigan/Ohio fireworks debate, my husband seems to think the same thing--illegal to buy them in Ohio, but not to shoot them off. There are several fireworks factories just across the state line in Michigan with huge signs advertising their products. We've lived in Ohio all our lives, and that's always what we thought to be the case....:rolleyes:

We had a rough night. I am dogsitting for friends, so I had five here and didn't go out. Actually, I can't really ever go out on the Fourth of July because Sophie is a mess. We had about three or four hours of sheer terror for her, with me trying to distract her and blasting music, which might have masked some of it but not the pheeeeeeeeep sounds as the fireworks are launched that terrify her the most. And she could see the lights from my windows, which also scared her. It sucked! She did have a couple of pills meant to calm her from my old holistic vet, and they did help a bit, I think, but not nearly enough. I am going to get her some Xanax on Monday, so we never have to go through this again.

I have never seen home fireworks shows as large as the ones the neighbors shot off last night. In Virginia, where I grew up, shooting off rockets that blow up into showers of colorful lights would have gotten you three cops on your doorstep, but not here. It was crazy. I cannot believe these are legal here. They started in the afternoon and went on until after midnight. You would think there were noise ordinances too, but I guess not.

Solo was not a real happy camper, and going outside to potty was not an option (I don't think he relieved himself for over 16 hours), but I settled on putting his crate into the walk-in closet (no windows, surrounded by other rooms) attached to the bathroom and turning both of the bathroom fans on. This plus a bit of Xanax had him sleeping through the worst of it. Something about the way the bathroom window is insulated made it sound like someone was bouncing tennis balls off of the wall outside, but not like things were blowing up.

Fly couldn't have cared less. Jett was startled by the loud noises but recovered easily. I hope it lasts.

Fireworks are crazy legal around here too (esp in the 'country') and River spend the night wrapped around the toilet bowl with bathroom fan and regular large blowing fan - I think she was ok in general and couldn't hear much - but like Solo, pottying after 4pm was not an option. Diesel also didn't want to go outside but was normal in the house. Aero could have cared less and Jaida just wanted to bark at them.

Sorry to hear some of you ended up having a bad night with the pups. My late BC Skyler would have been under the computer desk wrapped around my feet so I understand the noise sensitivity....Jackie would have been playing as always.

After the worst of it was over I thought we should try a late night walk that we frequently take. Zak hadnt been out for much exercise all day because Koda and I went to a disc dog event and he was getting ancy. Still a lot of fireworks going off but Zak seemed as if he didnt hear them and Koda would stop and look up with a big happy face and a wagging tail at the wonderful sparkles in the sky.

What gets me is that Koda seemed to even be enjoying the spectacle yet has some fear issues that we are working out. He's coming along with positive reinforcement and focus training but its strange what dogs can pick to be afraid of. Then again I knew a guy who was scared to death of mustard....dont ask cause I have NO idea :rolleyes:

Ryan

Ya, Melanie, it's bad in the Eugene/Springfield area. I have lots of preteen/teens in my neighborhood, so starting at about 7pm until 1am or so, Ling was pretty much a mess and there was NO going out to pee here either. Luckily (since I don't have AC), it wasn't hot out, so opening up the house after dark wasn't necessary. I just turned up stereos and the TV, and found that asking her to play tug-o-war seemed to bring her out of hiding and relieve some of her stress. No time to panic when there's a rope to be pulled on! The trouble was after we went to bed. It was much louder in our bedroom, but she wanted to be glued to my side, so I felt obligated to let her get in bed with me. So we were both awake until very late. 8:30 agility seemed pretty early today!

does the city of Springfield still hold the Filbert Festival over the 4th of July weekend?

They didn't have one last year, and I didn't see it in the Weekly this year. They have Art in the Vinyard over at Alton Baker, which is usually pretty fun. I'm going tomorrow - wine tasting, music and lots of frivolous stuff to spend my $ on, what could be better! Next weekend, of course, is the Country Fair! Woohoo!!!

I brought puppy Sophie to the fireworks show

How did that go for you? Didn't you say she's freaked out by the fireworks?

She was fine then--she was just a baby. The sound sensitivity didn't develop into all-out terror until she was about two. Actually, the Filbert Festival must be later in the summer, because now that I think about it I didn't actually find her (in Alton Baker Park) until July 30. I guess I just thought it was the Fourth of July because there was a fireworks show at night.

Oh, I really miss the Country Fair! Say hi to the naked hippies :rolleyes: