BC Boards

picking a pup's name

No names in particular but an idea for choosing one.

When Darcy was four months old she still seemed indifferent to her name in spite of being called the same thing from six weeks on. It was like I was calling someone else, sometimes she looked around sometimes she didn't. It wasn't her training because if I said "come" she'd run to me, happy as could be, and the same with all her other commands (she's always loved doing obedience ).

I picked five names that I liked, turned her loose in a quiet room, and when she was relaxed I read the names off the list. She ignored every one of them until I came to "Darcy". At that name she came to me every time. I was careful not to add any inflexion into it, so I knew she just liked the sound of it. In essence she picked her own name and from the first day on she acted like it had always been Darcy.

A different way of going about naming a puppy, but it worked great for us.

That's a great looking pup. It's a good way to pick names too, I never thought of that. But I have always liked Molly. I don't know why I just kind of like it. Tell us what you pick. Have fun.

I notice that many border collies have names that are Verbs or Adjectives. Might want to consider some of those.

Are you planning any sports/herding with your pup? That might sway you to a certain kind of name.

Do you have other animals? How about co-ordinated names? I knew a dog named Reebok (Siberian Husky) and then they named the new cat, Puma.

Is your pup a strong independent personality or more on the shy side? When naming our 3rd child, we were torn between the names Nicole and Allison. So we decided if she was born with dark hair it would be Nicole (stronger sounding name when said - hard consonants). If she was blonde, she'd be Allison (softer, lighter). She was born a brunette - and is sandy blonde now. So, she's a Nicole - and it totally fits her fiery, confident, bossy personality :rolleyes: So consider a strong sounding name, or a softer, more delicate one depending on your dog's personality - behaviour.

Oh, one last thing. You could browse through Dogster.com and search for border collies. Get some ideas from some real-life ones. One of them will surely strike your fancy

My son actually got to pick the puppy's name but, what I did was I went to a list of border collie names and picked about 12 and then took suggestions from family.

He settled on Madeline or Maddie for short. All I keep hearing is the theme song "She may be teeny tiny, diminutive petite but, that has never stopped her from being really neat" lol

Good luck in your search

I think I'm going to name mine Wyatt, or Molly when I one. I have always liked Molly (as I said before) and I like the old west gunfighters, like Wyatt Earp. lol.

We went to an internet list of BC names and then changed the spelling. Kai became Kye. Our puppy is named Bryte-I teach 1st grade and often use her when I model writing mini-lessons. Now, I'm afraid a whole generation of children will grow up spelling bright incorrectly! and I didn't even worry about this until I met a college English prof at an agility match who pointed it out!

Barb S