BC Boards

Retiring dogs

This past weekend was the last time I will run my open dog, Zeke (9 years old), and perhaps the last time I'll run Mick (10 years old) in trials. It was a pretty emotional time for me. Someone mentioned a poem I wrote years ago in memory of my old Rob, grand sire of Zeke and sire of Mick. It was the only poem I've ever written, and probably the only poem I will ever write. Years after Rob died I woke up in the middle of the night and wrote it. I needed some way to express the way I felt about what was at the core of these good dogs, even to the end.

I came home and looked it up and thought I'd share here for those in my situation.

Still Hope

The sheep need gathering from afar

And so you go to get a dog

Among the young and able is the old sheepdog

His body is spent but still he wants his sheep, his life’s work, his passion

The dogs all dance and jump and beg to be the chosen one

But it is the old dog’s eyes that plead the most,

“Please pick me this time”

Your heart aches as you turn away before he sees the truth

You’ll never pick him again

©2003 C Denise Wall

(In bittersweet memory of Imp Rob 1988-2000)

I read that with tears in my eyes. I think only someone who has working dogs (be they stock dogs, service dogs, SAR...) can truly understand the depth of the emotions you must be feeling as you retire your dogs.

Walking off the field for the last time, there is no better thank you to the old dogs out there, than to allow them to finish their careers with strength of body and mind, and to walk off into the sunset with your hearts full, and your souls one.

All they ever asked for was a chance, and you gave it to them in spades. They returned the favor with giving you their heart and soul. I say to the old dogs- jump into your retirement with both boots on, you have earned your rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this poem again, Denise. Just the thought of that poem has always made me choke up, and even more so now that Phyl is nine and a half. So far, she's running ok (it's actually been our best trial year yet), but I'm constantly listening for time's winged chariot. Actually, one reason why we might have done better this year is that I find myself going to the post with her with a completely new attitude. I'm no longer thinking about points or placing; I'm truly just enjoying every run that I still have with her, because I know that those runs are going to have to end long before I want them to. Anyway, thanks for the poem; I have a feeling I'll be reading it a lot over the next year.

I retired my first, and so far best open dog last year at 10 years young. Her best trial seasons spanned her 8-10 yo years. Yep. She could have done more trials, but I became sort of maniacally cautious about not putting her in a situation where she physically couldn't manage the work. I owed her that.

And tho, I've certainly missed the confidence in my partner I had with her at my side at the post, I don't regret the decision to retire her while she was still in really good shape. In the end of her career, she was a joy to watch.

Years ago, when I was just beginning this weird journey into the sheepdog world, a big hat who was sitting, near tears, under the handlers' tent talking about retiring a good dog said "the hardest day is not when they die, it's when they retire." I never forgot that. And, I didn't agree with it then, and I don't now. I feel a little sorry for the handler that allows so much of their relationship with their good dog to be defined by a few minutes spent on the trial field, and whose dogs are relinquished to a kennel when there trial days are done.

Of course, those nine minutes on a well worked Open course are wonderful minutes. But for those of us that treasure the relationship this journey builds for us with our dogs as much as the ribbons & checks, our good old dogs with whom we have spent so much time training, trialing and working, are just about as happy to get to spend quality time with us and to be reminded how special they still are. For those that are still able, how worthwhile to spend a few extra minutes allowing them to sort some sheep or do some simple chores.

So, thanks Denise, for sharing your poem. It reminded me to take those extra minutes a little more often and spend them with my good old dog. It made us both really happy.

Lori Cunningham

Milton, PA

Denise, I remember this poem well from the first time you posted it, and I have thought of it so often since, especially now that my Gyp is 9, but still just as willing and eager. It has in it all the fundamental sadness of the disparity between our dogs' lifetimes and ours -- how inevitably we continue to move on into the future when they cannot, and are left behind. Thank you for posting it again. I know how poignant it must be to be trialing Zeke and Mick for maybe the last time -- especially Mick, who was such a special dog for you.

time -- especially Mick, who was such a special dog for you.

Ack! Don't say "WAS" about Mick. He's still around and still going strong.

I'm going through the whole retiring a dog thing for the first time - due to age anyway. I've retired a couple before they got old but Spottie's pushing it at 10.5 now. No one has explained to her that she should slow down yet though. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tears Denise. And the poem again. I saw the heading and knew I didn't want to read it but had too. Mick & Zeke are wonderful dogs with lots of "spoiling" for them in the future!

I also caught the "perhaps" when speaking of retiring Mick?

Karen

Thanks to all for the stories, kind words of understanding and the empathy. I know many feel as I do.

I also caught the "perhaps" when speaking of retiring Mick?

Hi Karen,

Yes it's definitely a "perhaps" for Mick. In my experience some dogs are able to compensate for their aging bodies and modify their working style and some aren't. I'll just have to see how he does.

There's no doubt he still wants to be a part of it though. I think many of them enjoy the challenge of the different sheep, the new places, new smells and the excitement. I know Mick does. He hasn't had the best year competing this last year but he still has his good days. So we'll see come fall.

Thanks again,

Denise

Denise-

I saw the last run of your dog. Zeke, is a wise and mellow dog. He reads sheep well. He may be slow, but he gets the job done. I have a friend that did NOT retire her dog until 17. Not because of her, but because of SKYE, he enjoyed he sport. She ran him, knowing he wouldn't win. He loved the trials, mingling with the other dogs, maybe in some way- telling them how he did and did a little bragging- I don't know what it was that kept him going, but he loved every minute of it.

ETA- CAN'T SPELL!!!

I don't think I would retire a dog if he still enjoyed the sport. I'd run him- let him have his day- not care about points, maybe work more on your other dogs. I let my 16 year old run my old dog, it made both the dog and my teen-age feel good. After all, it's not really for the points- it's for fun- let Zeke have some fun- maybe with your child - I don't know how old you are, but maybe with a grand kid. It makes bonds between kids and dogs. Something you can not take away.

Dianne

Edited by Bo Peep

Dianne most of these dogs do care how they perform. To put dogs like Mick, Zeke...in situations where they can't do well because their body can't keep up, is crueler to these dogs than if you took a whip to them. To even ask it is disrespectful of the honor they have given you by being your 150% partner for many years.

(no offense to Skye's owner, obviously there are unusual circumstances and dogs out there, but it is unusual. That would be like an Olympic athlete not having any physical problems after a long career, who also enjoys competing well below his past standard. Hmmmm...change that from "unusual" to bloody darn rare.)

I just made the decision to retire my 11 year old. He can putz around the farm with me and do some light work, back up a pup learning his skills, or just keep the kitchen floor settled with steady beats of a happy tail. I'm a blessed women like Denise is - I have a young strong dog who can do the grunt work so I don't have to work my old friend until his last days.

I used my retiree at home and let other handlers learn from her until she told me that she no longer enjoyed it. If I'm traveling, Jimmy will sometimes get her out to move sheep around, but in general she appears to be pretty happy holding down the couch.

I think we sometimes forget the mental aspect of trialing. It's not just the physical work of making it around the course, but the mental work. I think most of us are much more demanding and exacting on the trial field than we are at home (we have to be if we want to do well at a trial) and I think that often the required precision and exactness takes an even greater toll on a dog than actual the physical work.

We all know that our dogs are masters at reading us. In competitions we generally can't help but be at least somewhat disappointed when we don't do well. The dogs can tell that. I personally would rather have my dog go out while still capable of doing well than any other way.

J.

I felt a bit shy about contributing to this - the dog likely to be my first Open dog is just now a year and a half old.

Denise, I remember maybe your first run with Zeke in Nursery? I'm not sure if it was his very first, but I do remember scribing and your coming out and saying, "This is Zeke, and he has no flanks." And then "Zeke with no flanks" laid down one of the prettiest Nursery runs I've ever seen in a young dog. And indeed, it was, "Here!" and "Zeke!" and not a flank command as far as I could tell. And he has kept that heart and willingness to work for you, consistently, and it's a lovely thing to see - a sight I'll miss a lot.

And I hope you know how much I admire Mick. It's been a long road, the two of you, and I do hope you find a way for it to continue.

Of course, none of this means that these old dogs won't work any more (though eventually that time comes too - and that I can relate to). The closest thing I've come to running in Open has been "for fun" and big Ranch courses. I only have an inkling of what that level of performance takes out of a dog. Glancing through old records, there have been a few number of Supreme winners at age nine, ten, and even eleven. We have a very long-lived, hardy breed.

There's only a hair's difference, however, between peak performance, and being a day late and a dollar short. It's the wise handlers who prevent their dogs from ever seeing that day of heartbreak out on the trial field.

Thanks for the responses. I feel it's a very personal decision for each person and each dog.

Just so people will know, I'm not somebody with a kennel full of dogs. I have six dogs and they all live in my house. I bred and trained both Mick and Zeke. I bred and trained both of their mothers. Their mothers, Joy and Molly, were my last open dogs. They're third generation of my dogs. I feel like I know them pretty well and have their best interest at heart. I have to trust myself to make the right decision about when they stop competing, and when it's time for them to stop working. And when it's time to stop everything.

Thanks Becca for the nice memory. Zeke was the most brilliant dog I've ever trained. He just did everything. He had great stock sense, a natural understanding of the work, and amazing ability to integrate my communication with him into working the stock towards a goal. He seemed to always understand what I wanted. Now it's my turn to do the same for him.

Okay Denise, I'm a jagged pill that doesn't like tearing up, so have a hard time with the poem and words fail me...

However, I know I've shared with you privately how fond I am of Mick, so the very mention of his name prompted me to visit his "PBase Album" to enjoy all those great pics of him all over again... but now I can't find it :rolleyes:

As far as the perhaps regarding the last time you'll run him, you are spot on when you say that some dogs are able to compensate for their aging bodies and modify their working style and some aren't... I have an "old dude" that is able to put in a far longer day's work than many youngsters solely because he is a genius at managing his resources.

This past weekend was the last time I will run my open dog, Zeke (9 years old), and perhaps the last time I'll run Mick (10 years old) in trials...

However, I know I've shared with you privately how fond I am of Mick, so the very mention of his name prompted me to visit his "PBase Album" to enjoy all those great pics of him all over again... but now I can't find it :rolleyes:

Thanks, Julia. Here ya go:

Mick Gallery

Mick helping work 2K sheep in ND fall 2005

As far as the perhaps regarding the last time you'll run him, you are spot on when you say that some dogs are able to compensate for their aging bodies and modify their working style and some aren't... I have an "old dude" that is able to put in a far longer day's work than many youngsters solely because he is a genius at managing his resources.

Perhaps Mick will be one of those :D