BC Boards

New and not sure if I should be here

Hi All!

Over the course of the last year I lost my girls after 17.5 years of companionship. Of course I swore I wasn't going to get anymore dogs...of course I went to the pound and got my two boys.

Since they are pound mutts I have no idea what kind of dogs they are. I took the old one just because I knew he didn't have much time left and I didn't want him to die in that cage. The pup though is suppose to be my next long-term companion dog.

The pup is crazy, high energy, and the first dog I've owned that actually plays with toys. After reading and trying to figure out what kind of dog he might be (mixed I'm sure) I started thinking he fit the profile of a border collie. My vet doesn't want to guess on the breed or age but we think he is a little over a year old.

If this is a border collie, please note that I did not make a decision to take him based on that...I just took him because my heart told me to so I can't really change that now. I'm pretty sure he spent all of his life in a cage since his pads were perfectly smooth. Both dogs came with crushing health issues that cost me over $3000.00 in the first 2 weeks so taking them back to the pound is not an option either.

Please give me your opinion as to whether this is a border collie, and if he is I will be asking for your assistance...I might have gotten into something here over my head. LOL

Thank you,

Cathypost-8824-1211219529_thumb.jpg

Oh, you're in the right place...

You've got yerself a border collie there...and a cutie pie at that!

Fortunately, this place is full of great info and the collective advice you'll receive here will be top notch!

Welcome!

Oh, yeah! I don't see anything but Border Collie in the picture, though pictures are the hardest way to guess at whether a dog is pure Border Collie or not (they have so many "looks").

Stay, learn, and post lots more pictures. And bless you for taking them both in!

He's very cute :rolleyes: What's his name? You may think you're in over your head, but if you've already been willing to spend a large amount money on his health immediately after adopting (some people would run the other way at that) and you're here now seeking advice something tells me that you'll be willing to persevere with him and will end up with a great dog. He's young, just came from the shelter and probably doesn't know a lot yet. As he gets to know you and settles in and you get some training on him, he will be the companion you were looking for. Just look at his happy little face :D

Welcome! You will find lots of help and support on this board. There are people here (like Rebecca above) who are very knowledgeable on this wonderful, always interesting, and sometimes challenging breed. Sounds like your two new boys have been lucky to land in a very good home. :rolleyes:

He's very cute :rolleyes: What's his name? You may think you're in over your head, but if you've already been willing to spend a large amount money on his health immediately after adopting (some people would run the other way at that) and you're here now seeking advice something tells me that you'll be willing to persevere with him and will end up with a great dog. He's young, just came from the shelter and probably doesn't know a lot yet. As he gets to know you and settles in and you get some training on him, he will be the companion you were looking for. Just look at his happy little face :D

His name is Loki (god of chaos) and he bonded to me the first day, jumped in the bed with me the first night, and is already having separation anxiety when I leave. While it can't be confirmed he was diagnosed with distemper and pneumonia. One of my many problems is that I can't tell what is a BC trait from what might be a neurological event. I just read a post about the zoomies and that answered some questions.

From reading about BC's I now feel guilt that I am not a proper place for this little guy and that he may need more time than I can give him...that's why I tried to explain that I didn't get him because he was a BC, but rather I fell into it. LOL He already took over alpha position from the older dog and is herding him. They play fight everyday and it's getting harder for the old dog so he is submitting. Here's a picture of one of the nasty fake fights.

Soooo much reading to do.

post-8824-1211224020_thumb.jpg

Does the older dog have a name? He looks like a handsome fellow too, from what I can see in that picture. If I were you, I'd stop Loki from herding the old guy--just because he can doesn't mean he should be allowed to. Go ahead and set some boundaries for Loki.

I'm not sure what your situation is, but if you can provide him with plenty of mental stimulation, you'll probably do just fine (not knowing what your actual situation is to know if it's less than ideal or not).

J.

Hey and welcome to the board! Looks like the old guy is BC too! Or at least a mix! Thanks so much for taking them! Especially the old guy! I just recently found homes for two of my old foster gals. Seems like dogs get old and folks just want to throw them away! Bless you for having a good heart.

As far as you "not having the right home" for a BC, well, that is a myth that they gotta have 100acres to run on and must have sheep everyday! Lots of folks on the board have multible BCs and live in small apts., some have yards, some live on farms/ranches. The thing with BC's is, they are very adaptable to anything but boredom! If you keep him occupied just a few hours a day, he should be fine. Excercise of body AND mind is important! They will learn might near anything! Socialization and training is the key for these guys! Have fun, ask lots of questions, and relax a little! LOL You and Loki and the old guy will be fine! Thank you so much again!

Does the older dog have a name? He looks like a handsome fellow too, from what I can see in that picture. If I were you, I'd stop Loki from herding the old guy--just because he can doesn't mean he should be allowed to. Go ahead and set some boundaries for Loki.

I'm not sure what your situation is, but if you can provide him with plenty of mental stimulation, you'll probably do just fine (not knowing what your actual situation is to know if it's less than ideal or not).

J.

The older one's name is Old Man...yeah it's stupid but that's how we differentiated which dog we were talking about. I don't know how to stop Loki from herding Old Man. It seems to me to be a jealousy thing and Loki sends him off to the crate. The old guy stays there because it's easier and I feel sorry for him. I don't know what kind of dog the old one is either. The pound told me Loki was a terrier, and they said Old man is a shepherd.

Here's a more pleasant pic of Old Man, and one of them as buddies.

post-8824-1211225841_thumb.jpg

post-8824-1211225889_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the boards! Those two are a lovely pair of dogs, they are both just beautiful. Thank you for saving Old Man from his cage and giving him and retirement home. I just wanted to offer you some solidarity on the "accidental BC, in over your head" part of your post. I was a Labrador owner when my sister found my BC and brought her to me, and that learning curve was fast and steep! You're in the right place though, and I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Welcome, and bless you for taking those two guys in!

BCs are more work than your average dog, but sooo worth it :D. I would start setting clear, consistent boundaries for Loki. BCs are much more content/easy to live with when they understand the rules (and said rules are enforced!) Having the dogs take turns being crated/loose would give each of them one on one time with you, would give Old Man some time to relax out of his crate without being pestered by "the kid", and would teach Loki when he needs to just chill out.

You can redirect him from herding. Teach him to "leave it" and give him something else to do instead - like an interactive game with you like tug or ball. If Old Man is submitting all the time, he is probably being over powered or is just plain tired, so I'd keep an eye on them to make sure he is not being too harassed.

I would also start Loki on a "nothing in life is free" program (do a search here on the boards or google "NILIF"). It is a great way to teach rules and set boundaries while helping build a good bond between you and Loki

From reading about BC's I now feel guilt that I am not a proper place for this little guy and that he may need more time than I can give him...that's why I tried to explain that I didn't get him because he was a BC, but rather I fell into it.

Don't feel guilty, you got this guy from the pound, his life now is 100% better than it was before! Remember, dogs don't sit there all day thinking about what they could be doing :rolleyes: . Train him, love him, exercise him and give him something he can use his brain at - even if it's 101 stupid pet tricks or playing hide and seek with toys - and you will provide a great home for him. And remember there are tons of activities you can get involved in if you so choose - herding, flyball, agility...

Oh yes, you've got yourself a BC. I won't repeat what everyone else has said, but I will echo their advice. These dogs live for a connection with you, whether it be through work or play. If you are looking for a true friend, you've found one.

Great looking dogs! Thanks so much for saving them! I own a really mellow 2 1/2 year old BC and I am currently taking care of a foster BC for a week while his foster mom is out of town. This dog is 1 1/2, has spent most of his life in a kennel, has no training and no manners, and spends all his time trying to herd/bite my "good" dog, who just backs down most of the time! :rolleyes: So I know what you're going through--even though I get to give this one back in a few days! The best thing I have found to stop the behavior is to redirect the foster with attention from me, playtime, or something to chew on. Training manners in a dog that has no concept of training will take more time than I have with him, but even in a couple days he has learned to give me his attention when I say his name and sit quietly in his crate to come out. He also thinks everything is a game and doesn't respond to a sharp "no" like my other dog does--he doesn't seem to "get" that I don't approve of his behavior, so I try to redirect him to something that is appropriate for him to do. While your new pup is learning how to behave, maybe try crating him unless he is under supervision or in a situation where he can't get into any trouble. He's young and he's still learning about you and how to fit into your household--he'll come around!

I'm sure others on this board with lots more experience than I will have tons of advice for you!

........ One of my many problems is that I can't tell what is a BC trait from what might be a neurological event. ............

Sorry, I know there was a serious basis for the comment - but this really made me smile. You should see my Fergus (6 years old going on 18 months) in his over the top moments, and you would know why. :rolleyes:

Let me join the others in welcoming you, and thanking you for taking these boys in. It's a really nice tribute to your old companion - very hard to lose a companion after 17 and a half years.

I'd endorse the advice you've been given here - these dogs need boundaries and leadership, they like routine, and their main love in life is to hang with their people when they're not doing 'stuff' with their people. That said, if nothing's going on, they'll happily settle down for a snooze until it's time to switch on again.

A large block of land is certainly not necessary. I was building agility jumps with a friend and her husband Saturday - they have 5 acres - no fence round the house. My two Border Collies (including the crazy one) and hers spent most of the day lying round within two or three yards of us, just waiting till we were ready to do something with them. So much for these dogs needing activity all the time.

Just loved that photo of the two of them snoozing together - very lucky dogs.

Sorry, I know there was a serious basis for the comment - but this really made me smile. You should see my Fergus (6 years old going on 18 months) in his over the top moments, and you would know why. :rolleyes:

Let me join the others in welcoming you, and thanking you for taking these boys in. It's a really nice tribute to your old companion - very hard to lose a companion after 17 and a half years.

I'd endorse the advice you've been given here - these dogs need boundaries and leadership, they like routine, and their main love in life is to hang with their people when they're not doing 'stuff' with their people. That said, if nothing's going on, they'll happily settle down for a snooze until it's time to switch on again.

A large block of land is certainly not necessary. I was building agility jumps with a friend and her husband Saturday - they have 5 acres - no fence round the house. My two Border Collies (including the crazy one) and hers spent most of the day lying round within two or three yards of us, just waiting till we were ready to do something with them. So much for these dogs needing activity all the time.

Just loved that photo of the two of them snoozing together - very lucky dogs.

Thank you and everyone for the encouragement and advice. Yes, the neurological thing is real due to the possible distemper so when he just jumps up, lowers his butt and scoots around about 80 miles an hour in a circle, I thought we had had an event. But according to these boards it's a bad case of the zoomies. I call it gremlin Loki because he also does it every time he gets wet. My model BC doesn't seem to be equipment with an off switch.

I can't imagine letting him off lead or out into the rest of the yard...he's fast and I'm too old to chase him.

Yeah, I like him a lot when he's sleeping. LOL

I can't imagine letting him off lead or out into the rest of the yard...he's fast and I'm too old to chase him.

:rolleyes::D :D

It'll come in time -just don't hold your breath! My youngster is now 3 y/o and will hang out with me and just chill. I got him as a 20 m/o and he was kenneled for much of his life before that. Freedom was like WOW! what do I do with it?!? When I did take his leash off I had to keep reminding him to stay with me - I kept treats with me at all times and we practiced recalls about every 30 seconds when he was off leash :D Needless to say, he spent lots of time on a long line those first few months!

The off switch is not something that comes with every BC, but it can be taught! After he's had plenty of exercise, get him something to chew on (like a nylabone or stuffed kong), leash him, and just have him lay near you while you use the computer, read a book or watch TV. The chew toy should keep him quiet and relaxed for a few minutes and you can gradually build on that.

Yes, the neurological thing is real due to the possible distemper so when he just jumps up, lowers his butt and scoots around about 80 miles an hour in a circle, I thought we had had an event. But according to these boards it's a bad case of the zoomies. I call it gremlin Loki because he also does it every time he gets wet. My model BC doesn't seem to be equipment with an off switch.

That is a typical episode of the zoomies :D Just stay out of the way and enjoy, it's hillarious. No neurological event, just pure joy and energy. :D A good case of zoomies after a bath is as predictable as taxes :rolleyes: Welcome here, your boys are beautiful!

I know just how you feel, only I was lucky enough that my boy didn't come with any health issues...glad to hear he's feeling better by the way, he's a good looking BC. My BC was an impulse adoption from the local shelter, I saw him online, he supposedly had only one day left, and I went down to get him the next morning. I thought he was an aussie based on his online picture, but after meeting him it was clear he is a BC. I had some moments of panic after I started reading up on BC's....there are alot of info out there that makes them seem like the most difficult dogs around. I've been pleasantly surprised though...he's a weird dog, that's for sure, but he's sweet and loving and that's what matters to me. He's only slightly more work than any other dog, and that's because he just loves attention. He has only one issue which is a major chewing problem, and a crate and some bitter apple spray have helped alot. I also use his chewing to my advantage by giving him marrow bones, nylabones, stuffed kongs, etc and he'll hide somewhere and chew them literally for hours.

My advise to you is not to freak yourself out with all the negative info out there. Not all BC's are neurotic messes, and you don't need acreage or a farm to keep one happy. I also agree with everyone who said to give Loki a time out in a crate with a stuffed kong or something and give Old Man some alone time with you, and vice versa. My boys really do well on a routine that's the same every day. If you can arrange it, it might also be good for Loki to have some time running and playing with another young dog. Mine are always really laid back for a couple of days after "park day". Good luck and keep us posted!

I have a BC and a Labrenard (he's much older!) and Liberty (BC) does the same thing. The older dog, Justice, does get very irritated at her rounding him up. We bought a cheap remote control car and will let her herd that. It gives her excercise and keeps us all sane! It's funny too!

Thankfully, Liberty is the most mild border I've ever had (I've had about six or seven through the years) but her theme song is still "ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM".

We also let her watch Disney cartoons (especially when I am working). For some reason the older ones like Lady and the Tramp and Fantasia really capture her attention and she'll actually sit down for half hour or so at a time and watch parts of it. Then she'll get up and get a drink and go right back to her movie.

I also use the Nothing In Life Is Free ideal when working with her and it helps alot. I recently taught her to 'hop like a bunny' for her food, and she has a whole host of tricks.

Keep consistent is the best advice I can think of to give you!

Welcome, and thank you, thank you for taking those two home. I'm also in full agreement - border collie, for sure! They're lovely; I LOVE the ears in the first photo!

I have a BC and a Labrenard (he's much older!) and Liberty (BC) does the same thing. The older dog, Justice, does get very irritated at her rounding him up. We bought a cheap remote control car and will let her herd that. It gives her excercise and keeps us all sane! It's funny too!

Thankfully, Liberty is the most mild border I've ever had (I've had about six or seven through the years) but her theme song is still "ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM".

We also let her watch Disney cartoons (especially when I am working). For some reason the older ones like Lady and the Tramp and Fantasia really capture her attention and she'll actually sit down for half hour or so at a time and watch parts of it. Then she'll get up and get a drink and go right back to her movie.

I also use the Nothing In Life Is Free ideal when working with her and it helps alot. I recently taught her to 'hop like a bunny' for her food, and she has a whole host of tricks.

Keep consistent is the best advice I can think of to give you!

I haven't located/read all the NILIF info but am working on it.

Yeah, this is a most entertaining dog that is for sure. His personality is huge...he does the cat pounce on his toy if he thinks you aren't going to pick it up, and he does a very good "high five." He also "asks" for your assistance and leads you to the toy he can't get for you to retrieve it since he doesn't have thumbs. For such a pain, he is very intelligent, and that's part of the problem...he gets out of trouble by being adorable...hey wait...my kids did that. lol

I have to ask since he is dragging his butt, have you had him checked for worms?

Yes, both dogs were treated. But this is not actually scooting his butt on the floor, but rather just lowering it in this crazy stance and running with his front legs at warp speed...it's nuts...it's the zoomies I've heard.