BC Boards

Tick Problem

This has been the worst year for ticks that I have seen in a long time. We have always used "Frontline Plus" on the 4 BC's. When I went to the vet to get it this year, they are not carrying it any longer and have switched to "Pro Meris". I have read some info in the other areas of the board and really don't want to use it, but has anyone experenced this? I can still get Frontline but just not at the Vet's office.

If the Frontline PLus works for you then I'd stick with it and just get it wherever you can. Don't let the vet's staff talk you into Promeris. I wouldn't use anything that brand new, especially given the bad reports that abound. If you can't find Frontline Plus, try Advantix.

J.

I think a lot of vets aren't carying the frontline because in a lot of areas the buggers are becoming immune to it. It doesn't work for us anymore.

The vet talked me into trying promeris last year and I wouldn't recomend it. We didn't have any of the lethargy problems I hear other people are having, but the smell is vile. You wont want to be anywhere near your dog days after it is applied. The smell was so strong it actually kicked up my asthma when I first applied it. I can't imagine how bad it was for poor Salem. I still have 5 months of the stuff at home that I wont use.

I don't know Promeris, but we get tons of ticks here, and Frontline Plus seems to be working ok (I still find some older ticks on my dog, but I am sure its a fraction of what I would be finding without Frontline). After I realised that my vet was charging me double of what Frontline Plus costs online, I never bothered to get it there again. You don't need a prescription for this, so you can easily order it on the internet and have it delivered to your door. Try dog.com (free shipping over $49) or petcarerx.com (coupon SMART418 to get $10 off and free shipping).

My vet is no longer carrying Frontline either. I was hesitant to try ProMeris, as Scooter is sensitive to a lot of things. The vet tech told me there had been "a few incidents of lethargy and depression" and gave me a pamphlet to look over. After reading the info I still wasn't sure. When I went back up to the counter to pay for my Interceptor, a different tech took care of me. She asked me what I had decided. When I told her I thought I'd wait and think about it, she said, "Good decision. My two dogs were the ones who had the bad reaction to it!" I'm going to stick with Frontline for now. Scooter's used it for three years without a problem (although I think he does have a mild reaction, even to this. I mentioned this to the vet once and she dismissed it.) :rolleyes: I too have allergies, and have read and heard about the horrific odor. No thanks!! I'm usually wary of any "new" drug the vet or my m.d. is pushing. From past experiences, we know we can't rely on the FDA to protect us. I think we'll be hearing a lot more about this ProMeris in the future...

There was a thread in the health section a few weeks back on Promeris. Lots of discussion on why not to use it,

A

We are having a bad problem here as well. The only thing I use that works to a great degree is the PrevenTick collar. We are rotating betweem Frontline Plus and Advantage for fleas, buggers are becoming immune to everything! A friend has been using Sentinal and so far she's having good results, not sure I want to go there though.

Karen

K9 Advantix works here, despite ticks immune to Frontline. Plus, I never, ever find ticks on my dog, while my friends are pulling literally dozens off per week.

You can't use K9 Advantix when there are cats in the house who might groom the dogs.

MBC

I know I may get some grief over this post but I believe very strongly that this works and is safe.

I crush one small clove of garlic in Magic's food every day. She loves it.

We live in a area that if you travel into the woods at all you will get ticks and we go 2 to 3 times a week trail riding and doing cattle work.

This year we have had only one attached tick and it had not been attached very long.

I know that because it is part of the onion family that people believe that it is not safe. My vet says that it is safe in the amounts that I am giving. She is sceptical about it working but had no problem with me feeding it.

I have been doing this for a year and a half and we have had very few ticks, alot less than on my last dog Bandit (R.I.P.)

She died of a tumor that was located right between her shoulder blades. (coincidence? I don't think so!)

I know I may get some grief over this post but I believe very strongly that this works and is safe.

I crush one small clove of garlic in Magic's food every day. She loves it.

No grief but I think balance is in order for those who may be unaware of "onions & garlic" - this is cut from a post on Sheepdog L a few weeks ago. Names have been removed. How do you know it's "safe"

Something that came from our state vet.

Onions and Garlic

Onions and garlic contain thiosulphate, the chemical that makes them toxic foods for dogs.

If you feed onions or garlic to him regularly, his red blood cells may weaken and literally fall apart.

The thiosulphate can reach toxic, even deadly levels, if he eats too much of either food.

Without treatment, severe anemias and death can result from overeating these toxic foods.

Humans have an enzyme that allows us to digest onions and garlic (although some people do have digestive problems with them).

All dogs (and cats) lack that enzyme.