BC Boards

New here, Hello and Thank you! :)))

Hi everyone!

I thought it was high time that I said hello and most of all thank you, because I've been coming here for quite a while and have benefited from all the great information, advice and comfort that you give to each other. We adopted a dog last July, and I honestly don't have any idea if she is a Border Collie or part BC at all, a lot of people have taken guesses at her "pedigree" and we still don't have a real clue. Her name is Sky for her sky-blue eyes, and she is certainly one of the most unusual dogs we had ever seen. We think she is very pretty, but we are biased, of course! :D We, that is my husband, our almost 18 year old daughter and me. I walk for fitness ever since I took care of a friend's dog for a month a couple of years ago, and since then had this idea poking me that I should get my own walking companion. I've loved dogs (among many other animals) all my life, but never had the chance to have one for various reasons. Now I am 49 ... where did the time go? We live in Southwest Michigan, in a small town, 5,000 people or so. I am originally from Germany, but have lived in the States since 1984. Met my American husband in Germany at the university, and the rest is history.

I thought about adopting a retired greyhound, I looked at different rescue organizations, BC's, Weimaraners, but wasn't really set on a particular type. I browsed Petfinder and similiar web organzisations, and it seemed the more I looked the harder the decision became. So many dogs need a new home, how do you choose? Then one day I was looking on petfinder at their listing for corgies, really just for "fun", and there was the most serious, beautiful, little face I could imagine looking at me. Sky, a supposed corgie mix. I don't see the corgie, personally, but who knows. She is about 15" at the shoulder, about 22- 23 lbs., has a short and smooth, but soft coat with little undercoat, except for the longer ruffle around the neck, and feathers at the back legs. Her belly hair is somewhat coarser. Her coloring is mostly black and white mixed and spotted, which makes her look silvery, and she has some dark-reddish-brownish spots here and there, which are hard to see. People often ask if she is a blue heeler, ACD. She seems too "dainty" for that to me, but it might be in there. She looks like a smooth mini border collie to me ... There is something foxy about her, especially when she hunts mice. She is a great mouser.

Hers is a somewhat sad story, she was dumped at this tiny Humane Society in very rural Northern Indiana, after hours, thrown over the fence, and it took the shelter lady hours to get close enough to her to grab her, she was so scared. Nobody came to claim her, and nobody knows anything about her. They thought she was about a year old (our vet agreed), of course in heat (thank goodness no puppies, and she then got spayed asap!), very skinny, but otherwise in good shape. She did not look neglected which makes it even harder for me to understand why someone just dumped her. Unless she ran away and was picked up by someone who didn't know what to do. But then I would have gone to the shelter when they were open ... oh well. We'll never know. The lady who ran the shelter did not want to give Sky to just anyone. She wanted her for herself, but already had 6 dogs at home, plus runs a sheltie rescue and does therapy work. Even though I made sure she knew I was a complete novice, she must have liked what I told her about me/us, and off we went with our new dog. I was so excited!

Well, here I am, about 8 months later, and in all honesty, there were times when I really thought I had made a mistake. This was not the happy-go-lucky little buddy I had imagined. Poor Sky is afraid of so many things, most importantly people and our town. We've had a real education, and it was at times frustrating, maddening, discouraging and disheartening. At the same time it didn't take her long to like us and be happy around us. It took her a loooooong time to finally really come out of her shell, she still reveals new quirks once in a while (like car chasing, sigh). At first she was hanging out under the sofa or bed most of the time. She was terrified of going out into the yard even, every little noise spooked her. This is not a big town, we don't live on a busy street, and we have a fairly large yard (3/4 of an acre or so). The little neighborhoods I take her around for walking are just that: quiet and small. Yet she must have thought I brought her to downtown Chicago or some such scary place. It was heartbreaking to see the poor thing in such a panic every day, but I kept going. I usually got home and had a good cry, and Sky would scurry away under the bed. Sometimes I was convinced she must hate me for doing this to her. And yet, other times she would show us the dog inside, the fearless, spunky little girl. For example when we go to my daughter's riding lessons: Sky loves the stable, she is not afraid of the giant horses one bit! She is usually besides herself with excitement (which is another problem altogether ...). She loves the dogs who live there, she loves cats and tries to play with them (even though if they run I'd suspect she'd chase them). My German girlfriend (Germans seem to be everywhere :D), the one with the dog, also has 2 goats, which outweigh my dog by maybe 100 pounds ... Sky thinks they are the greatest (which is not good, her idea of "herding" is a fullout assault, linebacker style, which of course I don't let her do). She loves being at my girlfriend's house out in the country, she was a totally different dog there from the very beginning. In fact the second time we went there, she treated my friend like her long-lost best friend or mother ... a stunning sight, if you would see her with other people. She usually tries to melt into the ground or floor, and in the beginning was shaking like a leaf, every time a person came near. She has since relaxed enough around our relatives and friends, even "gasp", once in a while goes up for a sniff or pet, and tolerates the 4 kids my brother-in-law has. Kids seem to be the scariest for her, then men, then women. But any new people who come to the house ... she'll be under the bed upstairs, thank you very much. Maybe one fine day .....

She now looks forward to our walks, is eager and happy, except when we go through downtown (all 2 scary blocks of it, hahaha), but even that is getting better. She is still a long way from "normal", and may never be. But with us she is funny and happy and playful and just very sweet. She still tends to get a little wild, and is too mouthy, we are working on that. She is not a very cuddly dog, another expectation I had to shelve, but she does have her "tender" moments. :D Maybe it's also because she is still so young. She was a lot more affectionate when my friend's dog stayed with us for a week recently. She was jealous, no doubt! It was funny. She is rather independant, almost aloof, but go to the door, and woosh, she is there, wanting to come along.

I came here for comfort most of all, many days, feeling overwhelmed and clueless. I found much solace in reading about other people's problems with their dog, because I realized I am not alone. I got some great advice, and learned that other advice simply did not work with my dog. E.g., she has never and still won't accept treats outside, especially not when she is scared. So the approach to make a walk or meeting a person more fun by bribing her with treats never worked. She is deathly afraid of the clicker, because I tried that too. We did take an obedience class, which was rather interesting. It was very small which was good. It took her about 4 meetings to realize, hey this is fun, and she made some doggie friends, and then she spent the other 4 classes being a little disruptive devil (while still managing to do the work, well, sort of :rolleyes: ). She finally let the teacher touch her in the last couple classes! The woman was quite happy. They were so patient with her! I think it's because she is so cute!

So yes, things are going much better all in all. I still have tons of work to do with her, and still need plenty of advice and encouragement, but I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate this site and all the people here. You obviously care deeply about all your dogs and other people' dogs.

This post is getting quite long, sorry, I'll shut up for now, but hope to be back many times! :D))

I'll try to attach a few pictures, but I'm pretty clueless with posting ... so forgive me if it doesn't work.

Thanks for reading,

Andrea

post-8699-1208183773_thumb.jpg

post-8699-1208183539_thumb.jpg

post-8699-1208183584_thumb.jpg

post-8699-1208183692_thumb.jpg

She looks like a young Aussie to me. With her markings and her eyes. She doesn't look a year old to me. Maybe 6 to 7 months old? Since she was in heat that could be the case. She sure is beautiful though.

Oh sorry, welcome to the boards. I got to busy talking about her to welcome you :rolleyes:

I'm so glad you and Sky found each other. Your dedication to working with her "issues" is wonderful and it sounds like things are going well. Welcome to the board!

She's beautiful! I think she looks quite border collieish, but maybe something else in there, too? She's a little thing, too.

Also, here in Wy they are coming up with mini Aussie's :rolleyes: but some of them have tails. That could explain her being short, but having a tail. Maybe she's a merle Border Collie/mix?

Andrea, welcome! Glad you found this wonderful board and decided to join.

Your post brought tears to my eyes. Bless you for your efforts with Sky. She's a beauty!

I'm your neighbor *wave*. I live in west Michigan so we're probably not more than 2 or 3 hours apart. Maybe we could get together sometime for a play date. :rolleyes:

Again, welcome!

Welcome. Sky looks like she well could be part corgi (especially in the face), and corgis do come in merle, so her color wouldn't preclude that. She's a little long of leg compared to many corgis I've seen. Then again, she could be a border collie mix. No matter--she's darn cute and it seems she's landed herself a great home! I hope you'll stay with us and keep posting.

J.

I have a blue merle corgi in one of my agility classes right now. He also has somewhat pointed ears, not rounded like typical corgis. He basically looks like a bc with short, little legs. Skye reminds me a bit of him. Skye has a bc-like body and I would bet that she has bc in her. Whatever she is, she is quite adorable and I can understand why you were smitten with her. And, speaking from experience, the shyness will get better with time. As you said, she may never be "normal," but she will be able to be happy and enjoy life. Good for you for accepting her for who she is.

Welcome Andrea and Sky! What a beautiful girl Sky is, and oh so lucky to have found you. Your post really brought home what a great place this is, I, too, lurk a lot and have learned soooo much and gotten so much comfort in realizing that we are not alone in our 'dog issues'. So glad you found Sky, and these amazing boards. Hope to hear more from you, and of course, more pictures of that beautiful girl!

Aaaaaaawwwwh, guys, thank you so much for all the warm welcomes!!! I had thought of joining many times, but I'm a little on the shy side myself, plus I had never really joined a forum before. And I do admit, when I started posting this morning, I was a bit panicked myself, "what code? what are all these buttons, scripts etc. ....???? Help!??" Maybe now I have finally joined the 21st century? :D)) IF I can figure all that stuff out.

Thanks for all the compliments on Sky! As I said, we are not the most objective people to ask if she is pretty ... but what made me fall for her was how pathetic she looked when I first met her. She was on the fenced-in porch of the shelter on a chain, with a bunch of other dogs, either in crates or on chains. Everyone was screaming: "Pick me, take me, over here!!", and Sky was hiding behind the door, trying to be one with the wall. So sad. She did perk up when she noticed the shelter lady, which I thought was sweet. I'm a sucker when it comes to hard-luck cases, the red flags were waiving everywhere, but boy, am I glad I ignored them. This is a shelter that euthanizes, not that they want to, the lady said they cry a lot! To think that Sky might ... nope, can't even think about it.

WyoBC, yes, I think Aussie sometimes, too, but her coat is all wrong (or do they come in smooth, too?). I'm sure some Aussies are born with a long tail.

Not sure about the miniature thing, but people seem to love turning anything miniature. I really love big dogs, of Irish Wolfhound size, but that would never work in our small house, and I wouldn't want to clean up after one. :rolleyes:

Patty/LewisMom, I admit I had to look up Montague, but I see it's just north of Muskegon. That's not terribly far! I'm in Buchanan, near Niles, just north of South Bend, IN. We go up to Saugatuck quite regularly, on occasion to Holland (but that gets so busy in the summer). Summer is always a good time for a little trip. :D

Julie and Mary, yes, I get the corgie connection. I've seen pictures of Welsh Cardigan corgies, blue merles with blue eyes. There is definately a resemblance. But she doesn't have the heavy body and her legs are too long and skinny. And the ears, as you pointed out, Mary. But the height hints that way, or maybe she was just the runt of the litter. I had briefly entertained the DNA testing notion, but I don't even know that they test for corgies or Aussies or Acd's, and it's a lot of money. So she's just our little mutt. Actually I've started calling her my little sheep or cow, because she loves to eat grass ... (thanks to this board I found out that is ok, too!) ... the coloring works for both. :D

I love all your dogs! I could spend hours just looking at your pictures. The gallery is always awesome! So many gorgeous dogs!!!

So thank you everyone again. I hope I can repay the kindness with some helpful posts or replys, not just questions all the time, even though my dog owning knowledge is still limited. Thanks to all your suggestions I do have a pretty extensive library of dog books now, and have visited recommended websites etc. ... so I'm hard at work at learning as much as I can! But nothing beats learning right with your dog. Thank goodness they are so forgiving, though! I'm sure I have made many mistakes, and will make more.

Andrea :D))

Andrea,

Welcome to the 'Sky' club! I also have one, with an 'e', my mom's idea since she had named me after another island off the coast of Scotland and after all, it did seem appropriate for a border collie. Turns out that its also a good name for her since she is 'sky' focussed, looking at birds, planes, frisbees, squirrels up above. An interesting focus since my first dog never looked up!

Glad to hear about your great meeting and subsequent falling in love and committment to your beautiful Sky. Keep up the good work and let us know about her progress :D

Ailsa

P.S. She also looks aussie and bc to me. And such beautiful eyes!!! :rolleyes:

I'll agree with JVW that I thought ACD/BC cross maybe but whatever she is, she is absolutely beautiful!

What a great story! Thanks for taking the time to share and very best wishes to you both. And, welcome!

Thank you everyone!!! I love the great guessing game, it's fun! :rolleyes:

RDM -- Borderjack, now I had not thought of that ... she does have some terrier "qualities" about her. I'm not ruling out anything. By the way, I love your blog, and I was so sorry about your special boy!!!

Barb -- hi to another Michigander! We drive through G.R. mostly, sorry, on our way up north to Traverse City, but sometimes we stop in Grandville for a quick dinner, and we've been to the mall there. Last year I went to Meijers Botanical Garden with my one sister-in-law for an orchid show. I'd love to go to the gardens in the summer, it was pretty even in February. Dog beach sounds like a wonderful idea. The only official dog beach I know of down here is at Grand Mere State Park (the pictures are from there), and I think I know why dogs are allowed ... only a dog owner would be desperate enough for the hike through the woods and the climb over these ginormous and steep dunes before you get to the beach. :D))) I cannot see a family with 3 little kids, a huge cooler, beach chairs, an umbrella and water toys attempt to get there, hahahaha ... The beach is great, empty and wide, perfect really. You only need to forget that you are right next door to Cook Nuclear Plant! But that is remarkable easy, since you can't see it!

Wave to "Skye"! She is so cute, too!!! And of course her name is great! :D))

Thanks again for all the welcomes!

Andrea

The Muskegon Dog Beach actually has steps down the dunes to the beach; great coming back because lots of the sand falls off on the way back to the car! We interrupted a wedding there a few years ago; why would you have a wedding on the dog beach if you didn't have a dog??? I actually think my BC Quest got in some of the wedding photos!

Barb S

Welcome from yet another Michigander! I live in South Haven, spend lots of time in Dowagiac and go to search dog training in South Bend once a week!

Your girl is adorable, and thanks for taking her in :rolleyes: Dogs can continue to make slow but steady progress for years no matter what their begining - it just takes lots of time and patience on our part. But it's so rewarding!

Welcome! Your Sky looks a lot like my Z but in a merled body. Our best guess for her is BC/JRT/Corgi lol, but at the shelter she was listed as a shepherd/lab mix!

IMG_4416.jpg

She's adorable!

She can't be half corgi because then she'd be a low-rider. Corgis are all homozygous for "low-rider" and it's dominant. I do see some corgoid influence about her face though, so maybe one parent was half corgi?

If she's otherwise food (or toy) motivated you can still use those to help counter-condition her to strangers. If she's too scared to eat and/or play, it means you're too close. Working with her at longer distances, where she's aware of the stranger but not totally freaked out yet, is key. Eventually you'll be able to get closer and closer.

Barb -- steps to the beach sounds a whole lot easier! That's funny that your dog got in the wedding pictures. :rolleyes:

Erin -- yes, Ziva has that same look! She is very cute. How big is she?

Melanie -- Thanks! I didn't know that about corgis, very interesting. I understand why people think corgi, but I think if you would see Sky next to one they would look very different in body composition. Sky is deep in the chest, very tucked up belly, and a very slim line, if you look from above. People have told me she looks too skinny, but she is not interested in food. She seems to have plenty of energy, and she gets offered plenty of food, so I'm not worried about that. When she lies down in the froggy postion, she looks incredibly long and skinny from the outstretched front feet to the back ones. She hates the camera, otherwise I'd take a lot more pictures.

As far as treats for training, I understand what you are saying, but sadly: outside she can't be bothered with that. Even in the yard she won't take treats. She still won't play with toys in the yard for more than maybe a minute or two. Inside she plays happily and will work for food with gusto. At obedience class it took her several lessons before she took treats there, and then it seemed more a food envy thing with the other dogs (any morsel another dog lost was found and eaten by mine). She seems to enjoy the verbal praise just as well. I'm not against food treats at all, but I use soft little lip smacks/clicks outside, a deep-voiced "easy", "good girl" etc., and I know she responds to that, to a certain degree, depending on the level of panic. I also give her easy things to do to distract her, like sit and come around, just to engage her brain with something else. She obeys now no matter how scared she is, and it seems to help a bit. I don't really know how to stay far enough away from the people or things that set her off, because that's so unpredictable. Someone opens the door as we walk by, or comes around a corner, out of a store etc.. I try to alternate settings where I'm pretty sure we can walk undisturbed with more stressful places. But yesterday for example was a beautiful day here, and all of the sudden everyone came out of the woodwork, no matter where we went. Sky was not happy! Even at her favorite places, like the park/softball fields behind the high school there was commotion (city workers, a guy batting baseballs, then someone with kids drove up) -- Sky seemed to take some giant steps backward in all our hard work, on that walk, even back to shaking in fear -- it made me sad. Doesn't mean I'll give up, but it reminded me of how much work there is still ahead ... I tried clickers, too -- she is scared of the sound, and runs away. I'm not sure what to do beyond going out there every day no matter what, with lots of praise and reassurance, slowly raising the threshold when I can control it, and otherwise just dealing with what gets thrown at us. :D

Thanks, Andrea

Welcome from yet another Michigander! I live in South Haven, spend lots of time in Dowagiac and go to search dog training in South Bend once a week!

Your girl is adorable, and thanks for taking her in :rolleyes: Dogs can continue to make slow but steady progress for years no matter what their begining - it just takes lots of time and patience on our part. But it's so rewarding!

Look at all these Michigan members! :D Hi, and thanks for the encouragement, I need it...

Andrea