BC Boards

Coyote habits, dangers, etc..

My dog and I live in a small city area, densely packed neighborhood. We walk in a bunch of nearby parks and open undeveloped tracts of land, all of which have deer moving in, and now coyotes. It's all hypothetically lovely - beautiful nature, the circle of life. Until you start finding various pieces of deer carcass along the walking trails. Buddy came trotting out of the woods with a skull last week, a knee today. ::Shudder::

So...

How dangerous are coyotes to me, walking my dog in the early morning or late afternoon? I ran into one, once, and Buddy just stared at it until I think they both realized they were looking at another species and got spooked. A guy I know had a lab who chased one - and now the guy carries a pistol, "just in case." Will the coyotes spook at the smell/sight of a human? Should I have some back-up plan in case Buddy tangles with one? Taser? Cattle prod? Pistol is out for me.

Thanks in advance to those of you who live in a more wild place than I do! :rolleyes:

Mary

I don't know the answer to your question but I will tell you about what happened to us.

I was down at the lean-to tending to a very new lamb. I wasn't thinking or watch anything else around us. This was middle of the day. The LGD's were sleeping just a fence over from us all within 20 feet or so. All of a sudden the LGD's jumped up and took off. I looked up to see a nasty young coyot taking off with the boys in hot pursuit. The coyote was with in 40 feet of us. Don't know what it would have done if the LGD's weren't there but I was a bit spooked. I don't think I had a work dog with me if I did it would have been totally paying attention to us and not looking around either.

They make me nervous. Another time I was walking out to check on sheep. a dark moonless night with no dogs. I heard what seemed quite close a low growling right in the woods. It didn't sound like a growl that was going to attack but more a fearful "stay away" growl. Once again the LGD's came running to my defence.

I love my LGD's! My son-in-law a die hard gun guy gave me a pistol becuase I was complaining I was afraid of the monsters in the woods. I wasn't talking about anything in particular but I was new to this land of lonely and dark was scaring me quite a bit!

Kristen

I had an incident involving a coyote here as well. Bailey and I were playing fetch in the baseball field at a park here in town. It has a 4 ft. or thereabouts fence around it. I noticed a coyote staring at use though the bushes behind the fence. At first I wasn't sure what it was, but once it came out I could tell it was a coyote. I only had Bailey with me, and luckily he was so focused on the ball he didn't see the coyote. I call Bailey to me and put the leash on him. Then he also noticed the coyote. I was creeped out. The coyote could have jumped the fence. I thought it would go away but as I walked across the field to the batters cage it followed us along the fence. I thought that once we got to the batters cage we would be safe, but I didn't realize that it wasn't totally enclosed. I didn't know whether I should head for the car or stay put. The coyote wasn't going anywhere. It was about 30 ft or less from us. We walked slowly to the car and it followed us the whole way. I unlocked the back door and climbed in with Bailey. The coyote came right up to the car. I beeped my horn and it didn't budge. It must have been used to people, but it scared me!

There are lots of sites on the internet that tell you how to deal with coyotes. From a quick search I just did here are some tips:

harass or chase coyotes to make them feel unwelcome in your area

do not leave small or defenseless children unattended in yards, especially if they are known to be frequented by coyotes

do not let cats and small dogs out at night unless accompanied by a person

keep outside areas for pets well-lit

obey leash laws

fence in yards

do not intentionally or unintentionally feed coyotes (bring in pet food, secure garbage, keep yards clean and free of refuse and brush)

encourage coyote trapping and hunting in season (if permitted by local ordinances)

There have been attacks on humans by coyotes here in Arizona, and many small dogs have become coyote dinner. Coyotes are becoming a suburban and sometimes even an urban problem. We hear a pack of them at night in the wash that runs along our development and we are in the middle of Tucson - not on the outskirts. We saw one running through here in daylight a few weeks ago. My boss chased it away. Just be careful! It is doubtful that one or two would attack a medium to large size dog - but a pack might. Especially if they are hungry enough.

Guest jackieandryan

Coyotes absolutely hate people.

Obviously, I haven't been around every Coyote, but my experiences tell you not to worry.

If they are alone, they know better than to mess with another dog their size or bigger. As long as you are with your dog on these walks, you will be fine.

They can attack people though. But when they do, it usually involves small children. This is very rare though. Other times, people try to feed and befriend them, which can lead to nasty bites.

I would be 10x more worried about a pack of stray dogs than a pack of coyotes.

Hope that helps.

If you think coyotes are bad, California, Oregon and Washington voted to ban cougar hunting with dogs. As a result, the cougar population has really grown. About once a year now you will read about someone getting killed by cats. Most of the deaths that I remember reading aobut are in California though.

A cousin of mine voted in favor of the ban in Oregon. She lives outside of Gresham which is a good size city. About 4 years ago she had a cougar walk through her front yard. Now she won't let her grandkids play outside.

Trying to scare away any coyote is probably excellent advice. Usually when I have seen them they are running as fast as they can to get away. In ranch land where the landowners will shoot them, they don't sit still and let you take pictures.

It's all hypothetically lovely - beautiful nature, the circle of life. Until you start finding various pieces of deer carcass along the walking trails. Buddy came trotting out of the woods with a skull last week, a knee today. ::Shudder::

LOL I forgot to mention that we call those presents. The LGD's bring them home to the BC's all the time. It's usually bones from dead cows or other things I can't figure out. I started a collection of skulls on the fence to the back yard. But the LGD's keep taking them down and putting them back on the porch!

Deer season is a free for all around here! I don't feed raw on purpose but they do get raw bones all the time!

ML your story is scary. I wonder if it was sick or something. Or if people had fed it or it was used to getiting stuff out of a trash can after people were near. Glad you kept your cool and stayed safe.

I've never had them follow me around the farm. But I do see them sitting fields away watching us work. If the lgd's are around they head for the hills. Same thing if my DH brings his hunting gun out. They do seem to know what a gun is.

Kristen

Guest jackieandryan

ML made some good points.

Usually a good yell will scare them away.

It seems that the coyote in ML's case was a little too comfortable around humans. AC probably should have been called.

There are documented cases of coyotes coming over fences to predate on domestic dogs. There are documented cases of small packs of coyotes taking a run at dogs in the close presence of humans. Coyotes are smart and opportunistic. It doesn't take them long to become habituated to an urban environment, and if they ever come up against a food shortage, human pets go on the menu immediately.

If you've got coyotes in your neighborhood: Never let your dog out unsupervised. Close all trash cans tightly, and keep them in a garage if possible except on trash day. Do not feed your dog outside. Always walk your dog on a lead, and seriously consider a can of pepper spray. A stout walking stick is also a good idea.

Guest jackieandryan
If you think coyotes are bad, California, Oregon and Washington voted to ban cougar hunting with dogs. As a result, the cougar population has really grown. About once a year now you will read about someone getting killed by cats. Most of the deaths that I remember reading aobut are in California though.

A cousin of mine voted in favor of the ban in Oregon. She lives outside of Gresham which is a good size city. About 4 years ago she had a cougar walk through her front yard. Now she won't let her grandkids play outside.

Trying to scare away any coyote is probably excellent advice. Usually when I have seen them they are running as fast as they can to get away. In ranch land where the landowners will shoot them, they don't sit still and let you take pictures.

I was always told to shoot coyotes on sight. Now that I am older, I have a hard time with it. Yeah, they are a pest at times, but they were here first. I do understand why livestock owners and hunters have no problem shooting them. I see them around my house sometimes and I live in a city of 80,000 people about 10 minutes north of Dallas.

I haven't done much research, but I am pretty sure they play a vital role in our environment.

Guest jackieandryan
There are documented cases of coyotes coming over fences to predate on domestic dogs.

If you live in an area highly populated with Coyotes, leaving your dog unsupervised outside isn't a good idea.

I would say that if you are more recently seeing them, it is probably because they are hungry, and you should be careful.

How timely! We just had a run in with a pack of coyotes night before last. A pack. About seven.

I was playing frisbee with Soda (resident BC) in the field behind my complex. It touches the complex and is lit well enough to see the frisbee, even at 9:30 @ night. She's off leash and so is my other dog, LT. She's about the same size as Soda. My malamute is on a flexi lead.

LT takes off after what I think is a bunny but I'm not worried b/c I can still see her. She starts running back and I think there are two dogs chasing her, which isn't usual b/c the people in my complex use this field as an unofficial dogpark. Then I realize those aren't dogs, those are coyotes and about 5 or so more step out of the "woods" (it's like a green belt, but chapperal style with hiking trails).

Holy crap. I panicked. Actually full on panicked. The coyotes stop when they see me (or maybe it was cash) and LT gets within 5 feet of me and I just start screaming LIE DOWN LIE DOWN, YOU LIE DOWN and both dogs do and I'm trying to pull the leashes out of my pocket without moving too fast b/c I don't want to the get the girls going and Cash is going ape-poop on the end of the flexi and the leashes are absolutely jammed in there!

And the coyotes aren't moving--forwards or backwards...

One of the girls breaks her down (I don't remember which) and they both start to move towards the coyotes and I'm absolutely screeching LIE DOWN LIE DOWN and they do, again, and I manage to pull the leashes out and get the dogs leashed up and when I do, the coyotes start to leave.

I have never EVER been so scared in my life. I never thought they'd go after a dog as big as they are. I knew little dudes were fair game, but LT is their size! Lesson learned. (and I got a cool story to tell)

Make coyotes feel unwelcome, yell, throw things at them. It's safer for everyone if they are afraid of people. If you are in coyote area and are walking your dogs and there are pups out, carry an air horn or something like that. Just be really really cautious.

and my friend's dog got killed by coyote in his own backyard... and it was a JRT... you know he put up a fight.

Paige

If you live in an area highly populated with Coyotes, leaving your dog unsupervised outside isn't a good idea.

I would say that if you are more recently seeing them, it is probably because they are hungry, and you should be careful.

I live in the city. (Like, right smack in the center...not in the 'burbs.) Our area has seen an increasing coyote population for about the last 10 yrs or so. Something interesting is that I can recall seeing the odd one or two here (usually further out in the county)...and that they used to be small----sorta skinny little "garbage can" coyotes....in the last year or two, they are now big, fat guys, more like the ones I have seen in AZ or CO. And they are not shy. At all. We watched a big male roam around an empty field for about half an hour 2 autumns ago. We were separated by a drainage ditch and hill...and did not venture far from the car...but he clearly saw us and decided we were not a problem. There are reports about once a month of someone's little Yorkie or Pekepoo getting nabbed.

I guess the sensible thing is to make oneself look big and scary if you come up on one...flap your jacket out from your body, yell...and figure a way to make an exit. Not sure what I'd do with current pupster...Sollers is only about 40 lbs, and not all that brave yet, which is probably a blessing, since I doubt he'd pick a fight. (Our dearly departed fellow did not know when to say quit....once cornered a big whitetail buck in the corner of our yard that is fenced and nearly got stomped for his trouble... :rolleyes: )

Paige...yipes! Glad your guys know their "down" and that everyone was okay.

We live out in the boonies and have coyotes around all the time. Maybe it is just luck but they have never jumped the fence to get to our animals. We do turn the lights on at night when we hear them; that scares them away. Coyotes are very smart and will go a long way to avoid contact with humans and large animals. We used to have a buck that we think scared them away. Also the sheep either go in the barn at night or group around each other for protection. The dogs stay in their houses when they hear the coyotes. We used to see coyotes on the golf courses in Phoenix though as people used to feed them. That is a big no no of course but they did anyway. Narita in AZ

It may surprise some people that we also have had an explosion in the coyote population in Connecticut; whereas we live close to a reservoir, I have actually seen them crossing our backyard. What we do know about them is that they avoid people, as has already been mentioned. Further, they do not prey on large animals; but cats and small dogs cats are a favorite snack, and we sometimes hear reports of such animals that are let out at night unattended and disappear. A typical Border Collie is far too large a prey animal for a coyote, so for the most part you have little to worry about. The greatest danger comes from a rabid animal, but this can be said for any wild animal. My advice would be this: if you see a coyote, and it does not run from you, be concerned that it could be rabid, and leave the area as quickly as possible. And if you know that there are coyotes in your area, carry something that can be used as a defensive weapon when you walk your dog. (A sturdy hiking/walking stick or a large D-cell flashlight are good choices.)

How dangerous are coyotes to me, walking my dog in the early morning or late afternoon? I ran into one, once, and Buddy just stared at it until I think they both realized they were looking at another species and got spooked. A guy I know had a lab who chased one - and now the guy carries a pistol, "just in case." Will the coyotes spook at the smell/sight of a human? Should I have some back-up plan in case Buddy tangles with one? Taser? Cattle prod? Pistol is out for me.

I used to have a family of coyotes accompany me on late night walks with my two chow-chows. :D They'd follow between five and ten yards behind me, making weird little fussing noises, like a car with a dead battery.

Our strange little midnight parade - one woman, two leashed chows, five loose coyotes :rolleyes: - went on for the entire six months I lived in the area, and the coyotes never gave us a bit of trouble. At the time (1989), I didn't actually realize they were coyotes - I was living on the outskirts of Memphis, TN and it never occurred to me coyotes lived so far east. Now of course, I have them on my farm in coastal SC. I like to hear them sing, but I've never seen one.

If your dog were loose, and chased one, your dog could get into trouble, though. Coyotes, I've read, travel in family groups, so your dog might end up in a fight with the coyote clan.

Based on my experience, I'd say you've nothing to worry about as long as your dog is under your control. Just enjoy the company. :D

I live in a small town and work in the bush. I have only had one encounter with a pack of coyotes in which they were one at a time showing themselves and yelping. I think to try to entice my dog to them because they were afraid of me. I yelled an threw rocks and sticks at them and they seemed to have left, I still went to work somewhere else.

I think that any wild animal that has been in an urbanized setting will act different and have less fear of humans (imagine how many times they watch people from a distance without them noticing to realize that they aren't a threat).

I think there has been some really good advice given so far. I do think pack and individual behaviour depends on location and human density (along with a bunch of other population dynamic factors).

Make noise, if you are being followed and the coyote doesn’t move off, don’t turn your back on them – same goes for a pack.

Our City has a really good description of what to do:

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gat...ote+FAQ%27s.htm

Recently there have been some attacks in Canmore (children ages 2 and 10). But it was discovered that several folks in town were feeding them.

I have a super-duper strong flashlight that is supposed to be a wildlife deterrent – it is so strong that if can burn a hole in your pocket if you leave it on. I have never had to use it but I take it with me every morning.

Kyna

I agree with Kyna, check out Calgary's website! I live in the inner-city area of Calgary and I can actually hear them singing on the elbow river at night. I kind of like it. BUT I have seen the coyotes here and they are huge! I wouldn't want my dog to mess with one, but one well fed coyote isn't going to cause you any problems, as long as the dogs keep finding animal remains, you should be fine! The coyotes I grew up around weren't much larger than a fox really. I think they maxed out at about 30lbs and I was never ever scared of them, I lived in the middle of the wilderness and my dad always told us that they are more afraid of you than you are of them. Which I am inclined to belive unless there is nothing else for them to feed on. I would however keep your dog on a lead. My biggest fear would be rabies.

We have a considerable coyote population in our area as we live next to a nature reserve. We hear them most nights and I usually see one a few times a month. We found some deer bones on the slopes behind our house last month. The dogs seem to hate them with a passion and typically want to chase them if they see one near our park (I always call them back right away). Early mornings and late at night coyotes often lurk in the brush near the fringes of the park. I always bring a high-power military style flash light with me and walk the park perimeter to see what's hanging out. I'll throw a rock at any coyote that doesn't leave right away, but that's not common. The ones in our area don't like people, but they can be curious about dogs (no doubt sizing them up). I'm not concerned about them, but I try not to get too complacent about them either.

We live out in the boonies and have coyotes around all the time.

Coyotes are very smart and will go a long way to avoid contact with humans and large animals.

Those are the key statements. In the boonies, coyotes associate humans with death, and stay away, or at least out of sight, because they're smart. In an urban/suburban environment, however, they quickly learn a different lesson, which is that they generally don't need to fear people. In SoCal suburbs, there have been several recent cases of coyotes attacking dogs at the very feet of humans - usually in small packs.

A typical Border Collie is far too large a prey animal for a coyote, so for the most part you have little to worry about.

This may be true for a single coyote who is not hungry or doesn't have a group of pups to feed, but I would not consider the typical border collie too large for coyotes. Especially for a group, which is more common than a single. Thousands of sheep larger than 40# are killed annually by coyotes - my 300# ram among them. I wouldn't trust or enjoy having coyotes watching or following me or my dogs & would do everything I could to chase them away - loud noises & lights can be effective.

Take caution!

gail

I think the urban attitude towards saving all the predators...

I wonder why you think that's an urban attitude? My experience of urban attitudes

is quite different: most (leaving out the Bambi-heads) fear anything that they think

might be dangerous, and want it eliminated. Live in the country, though, and they're

just a part of life.

I live in suburbia and as much as I hate to admit it, I think Lenajo is right.

I think there are A LOT of people who don't understand the difference between a wild animal and a domestic one and who think they're *cute* and try to make friends with them or feel sorry for them that they have to work for food so they feed them... At least that's the feeling I get around here.