BC Boards

What a Blow..

With all we have been through with Pepper, this just takes the cake! We finally got her allergies cleared up. But now it looks like her hairloss is probably due to mange...

my daughter's cat has a suspiciously bald tail and now poppy too is losing fur.... and my husband said he recognizes mange from seeing it on the resevation alot growing up...

However, we had been to two different vet's that examined Pepper and- said she did NOT have mange from their viewpoint. So neither did a skin scrape... Now we have to go back to the vet's..

What kinds of meds cure this? I've heard a new cure using Ivermectin does. Does this mean that Heartguard cures mange too?

Man this is a disappointment...we keep thinking we have a handle on all her health probs finally...

It wouldn't be so bad if all these vet visits were further apart but no one expects a new pup to have colitis, food alleriges, mange-(I can't even figure out where she picked it up from)- Boom! Boom! Boom! Right on top of each other-etc.

Pups are exspensive yes but wow! If only there were a little time between each vet visit.

Now I wonder if she should even go in to be spayed on the 23rd... I have to go call and find out...

Me too. Is it pretty easy to cure with the ivermectin then? I know nothing about it. how come it is so common? Just lack of care? Do most vets carry the ivermectin? i hope this will be easy to clear up.

I've got a feeling that a lot of my Buddy's problems go back to being in a shelter as a pup. He came home with a bad case of Kennel cough. The mange mites are present in all dogs, but a lot of stress, or surgery, or sickness can really do a number on their immune systems allowing the mange to take over.

Guest amylobdell24

Demodectic mange is actually not a horrible thing to have - I'm assuming it's demodex and not sarcoptic mange because you are treating with Ivermectin. You would have to give massive amounts of Heartgard to equal the dose of oral Ivermectin you would get from your vet (it's actually an injectable form for cattle). It can make pets a little sleepy & lethargic & sometimes lose their appetite with the occasional vomiting/diarrhea reaction. Check out the Merck manual or Plumbs for additional things to watch for. The demodectic mite acutally lives on all dogs' skin, but it can get out of control due to a compromised immune system caused by stress, other infections, or even hereditary predisposition. It is not typically transmitted to other pets or people in the household (though littermates are likely to have the same predispositions), as normally the population would remain controlled on an otherwise healthy animal. Sarcoptic mange is a different story....but it doesn't sound like that's what you have from your vet's description. On the good side, Ivermectin is a very effective treatment in most dogs I've seen. It takes awhile for hair to regrow and start filling those little bald spots in, though...

No Heartguard doesn't have enough of the Ivermec in it to do the job. My vet told me the dosage in Hearguard is like 25 times lower than it needs to be for the treatment of Demodex.

I had great success w/ the Ivermectin and it only took about 3 mths to completely get all of Pache's hair back in. He was almost completely bare on his back and down the fronts and backs of his legs. He had very little hairloss on his face though.

You really need to request that your vet do a skin scraping for the mites although it could be hard to tell w/ the first scraping if its demodex. Those little buggers like to hide.

I see that you read the thread that Maria posted for you in the other topic. There are a couple of different ways to check to see if your BC has got the Ivermec sensitivity. I had a sample sent off to (if I remember correctly) Washington State University to be tested. Another way is like Maria's vet is doing and starting out slowly w/ low doses and gradually increasing to make sure the sensitivity is not present before giving the full dose.

Hopefully demodex isn't what Pepper has! As Amylobdell24 stated it isn't something terrible to deal w/ just annoying for the most part. Unless its a very severe case anyway. I hope this helps answer some of your questions a little better.

Oh yeah another thing...there isn't a "cure" so to speak for demodex. Some dogs clear up on their own, some need medication but never have another outbreak, and some live w/ outbreaks off and on for life.

First and foremost though get that skin scraping done so you will know for sure if its demodex your dealing w/.

Yeah I'm very unhappy that they did not do the scrape. I need to get another vet opinion. Though maybe they are right this is allergies...? Pepper has been on the Nutro now for a week. So we want to give it two more weeks. How long does it take for the new food to kick in and the itching to stop anyhow if it IS due to food allergies?? Then how long for her fur to grow back?

Well I was wrong. Come to find out that the cat has Ringworm.

And the dogs are just going through an allergic reaction to the old food. Itching and fur loss.

They've only been on the new food (Nutro)a little over a week so we have to give it more time. Then go from there.

Now, if they still have problems we will switch their dogfood brand again.

But thanks guys!!

Could it be he has ringworm? Our show cattle get it every year, we are fighting it right now, but the sun always helps. The lambs also have it, and now my daughters have it. We use bleach water to clear ringworm up, even when we get it. since it is a fungus Lamisil works also, or tooth paste(the old kind that is white and paste). But in all reality sun probably works the best.

Come to find out that the pepper just has food allergies. The cat however definately has ringworm.

So you actually wash yourselves in bleach? Desn't it burn?

Do you mix it with water? Adn if so, what concentration?

From WebMD:

What Are the Treatments? (Human)

Your doctor may prescribe an antifungal medication. These drugs work to kill fungus and prevent it from coming back. You may spread the antifungal on your skin as a medicated shampoo, powder, cream or lotion; or you may take a pill so the medicine can spread throughout your body. Your doctor may prescribe a combination of these treatments.

Many antifungal medications, such as miconazole, are available over the counter at a lower dose and a less expensive price. Ask your doctor whether you can use one of these or whether prescription-strength medicine is necessary.

On the bleach, we mix 10 water to 1 bleach, take all the crustys off and spray the mix on. Yes it stings like crazy. With a cat, I would probably use lamisil cream it is for foot fungus in people. Watch yourself as well as any thing or any one else that comes into direct contact with the cat, it is spread very easily.

Oh, and on the cattle after we use the bleach solution and it drys, we spray paint (with cattle show paint NOT regular spray paint) the areas.

Clear finger nail polish also works if you get it on you because it smothers it and does not allow it to spread.

Nasty ringworm..........I hate it.

Well, we have used lamisil or some foot fungus stuff on the calves and lambs, have never had a cat or dog with ringworm (knocking on the wood desk now that I have said that). So I do not know about using the polish on the cat. I think that may be hard however because of all of the cats hair that is around it. I think I would stick with the bleach water (after you scrape the area) the cat may hate you, especially since it really needs done everyday for about a week to make sure you get it all. Or the cream. With both it is important to scrape the crusty dead skin off the area before treating. Also use gloves I buy them by the box (the kind the vet or Dr. puts on). and wash really well after treating. Good luck.

Just wondering.When cleaning the animal, what would happen if you inhaled a spore? Could that cause problems?

Ouzo had mites around his left eye when he was about 3 months old and hair felt in one spot. The vet took a scapping and said it's not mange, just some sort of mites that puppies always carry. After about 10 days of treatment (which, in addition to the meds the vet prescribed, included also Neosporin) the hair stopped falling and eventualy grew back. It took about a month to get 100% back to normal.

That's why I haven't posted any pics of him at that age