BC Boards

Daisy Dot

As you all probably know by now Daisy my 1 year old border collie was diagnosed with Pancreatic Insufficency about three months ago.

Im still having problems.

She still has runny watery stools and just wants to eat for England all of the time yet still wont gain any weight. Im at my wits end. She is going to see the vet again tonight. Please advise.

I am so sorry to hear that things are not going well for Daisy. I thought that the treatment was having some positive effect although I seem to recall that it might take some time to make a significant change. I sure hope the vet has some more resources that can provide relief for this.

Best wishes and prayers for Daisy and you!

Heppers,

You may have already been to the links I've posted below, but in case not, I'm putting them here. From what I've read it's possible to get the diarrhea under control with treatment, but the dog may never regain the weight lost and will continue to have a ravenous appetite. You will note that some of the sources state that a low-fat diet can help, while others note that lowering the fat can exacerbate the problems associated with fat malabsorption. What I found interesting was the fact that dietary changes *might* help, that powdered enzyme is better than the pill form, that there could be a co-infection in the intestine that would also need to be treated, and that diabetes is a possible complication resulting from whatever has damaged the pancreas to cause EPI in the first place. Anyway, these are some topics you might want to explore with your vet if you haven't already. I'd especially suggest discussing with your vet the possibility of increasing the enzymes you're giving her until you see actual improvement in the diarrhea, and then backing off until you figure out the least amount you can give and still control the diarrhea (that was mentioned in several of the links). (That is, most of the information I read implied that the diarrhea could be controlled but that you would have to play around with the enzyme dosage to get the right amount to obtain the control.)

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.js...04.htm&word=EPI

http://www.missionmedvet.com/encyclopedia/..._pancreatic.htm

http://www.healthypets.com/expaine.html

http://www.vetinfo.com/dpaninsf.html (for this link, you may want to skip the questions and just read the vet's answers)

Then again, some of what I read said diarrhea may bever be completely controlled, but that if you could get the enzymes adjusted properly *and* treat any other complicating factors (such as infection), Daisy could live a pretty normal life, though she may always remain thin. Good luck, and keep us posted.

J.

I think Timmy (not-quite-my-own GSD) has it too. At least there's something wrong with his pancreas, though I don't know for sure that it's exactly the same. He gets special low-protein kibble, and it seems to be working. I don't know what else he gets, as I've never had him longer than two weeks. I never had to give him any medicine during those times.

Here's the food he gets: web page . Click on "Bozita Robur" and then "Low Protein"

Best of luck for your search!

My last dog had pancreatitis and the Cozyme and low fat science diet WD worked wonders for her.

I know how heartbreaking this can be and my heart goes out to you. Sending much hugs and ((((((healing vibes))))).

Thank you so much for all your advice everybody!

Took Daisy to the Vets and she had lost another kilo. The vet was very concerned and has increased the lypex capsules to three times a day now and has given her a week. If there is no improvement in the week she has to go back next week and he is talking about trying her on the powder instead as its more of a correct dosage to the weight of the food she will be eating. Looks like its a case of weighing her food and putting in correct dosage for the amount of the weight of food. I will do anything as long as she gains just a gram of weight !!!

Heres to the next week of waiting !

What an horrendous weekend Ive had.

Daisy hasnt responded to the higher dose tablet form at all and we got up Sunday morning and she just sniffed at her food and walked away.

Panic stations.

Straight off to the emergency vet who was luckily the same vet we saw on Thursday night who knew Daisys condition.

Ran some tests as her gums were very pale and not pinking up. Everything came back normal. Blood levels fine, no anemia, temperature fine. Vet was at a loss. He has given me a 21 day course of antibiotics after he did some research into her condition and thought maybe it could be the balance in her gut. He gave her a vitmain injection and has ordered her the powder form of the drug and also food especially made for pancreatic insufficient dogs.

She has picked up a lot since yesterday. Went to toilet normal ish this morning and didnt have us up during the night. The first time in days !! Hoping the anti-biotics help and praying the powder comes quick. Vet was still at a loss as to her appetite and the sleepy way we took her in on Sunday. Is putting it down to a passing virus as everything came back clear.

I need another weekend break after all of that !!

So sorry to hear this! I hope that you are able to see some significant improvement with the antibiotics and the new food and the powder when it is available to you.

I am hopeful she just had an "off day" like we all (dogs and humans) can have.

Daisy's a very blessed dog to have you to love and look after her. Best wishes to you both!

Thank you for your words of support Sue.

I totally thought the worst yesterday and spent all day crying. The vet must have thought I was a lunatic but she is my baby and I cant bear to see her unhappy or poorly.

She is eating again which Im so happy about. Im spoiling her and giving her chicken breats with every meal as well as rice and bread. She even got to sleep in the middle of me and the hubby last night too !

This must be SO hard on you both! If your vet understands how you feel about Daisy like my vet understands how I feel about my dogs, he/she will not think you are a lunatic. Daisy is loved and receiving the best care you can find for her, and that's what's important.

I must admit I haven't checked a map to see where County Durham is. Last summer DH and I were in Dublin for most of a week (he had professional meetings and I went along as it was the summer of our 35th anniversary). Then, after a few days in Glasgow (for more meetings), we were back staying in Kinnitty while I went to the World Sheepdog Trial in Tullamore (strictly a spectator, thank you).

I had the chance to spend some time around Dublin and then get to Avoca, Newgrange, Mellifont Abbey, the Curragh and the Heath, Malahide Castle, Glendalough, the Slieve Bloom Mountains, and some other "touristy" sites. My goodness - so much "old" and historical stuff and so much beauty in one tiny country! The fast pace of life in Dublin amazed me and the beauty of the countryside was unbelievable.

Hey Sue

County Durham is actually in England not Ireland ! lol I will forgive you !

Its the North East of England on the Coast near a little village called Seaham.

The vet has just called me to check on Daisy, which I thought was very nice of him. He has ordered her powder, which should be here tomorrow night and my hubby just called to say she did a normal ish toilet !

Hey Heppers

You and Daisy are having a rough ride, aren't you, poor things. That's nice that your vet called to check on Daisy - see, he doesn't think you're a lunatic! And we certainly don't.

Here's hoping the powder works well - it's a powder that my trainer uses for her 2 EPI dogs. I think it has to be left on the food for 20 mins or something - but the instructions will be with it.

It could be that Daisy had picked up a passing bug - she might be a bit more prone to it with her system being down a bit.

It sounds like she's coming round a bit now - only dog lovers could be so interested in the state of a dog's poo 12 000 miles away!

Wintry Tasmanian pats for Daisy.

Whoops! Sorry about misplacing you - I guess I ignorantly assumed that "County Anything" meant Ireland and "Anythingshire" meant England.

I've just been able to visit Scotland, Ireland, and London (but I'd rather have visited English countryside than the city, but that's where the group went).

Best wishes on getting Daisy's problems under control. She is very blessed to have a loving and concerned owner like yourself.