BC Boards

Glow in the dark collar?

Now that the evenings are getting shorter, we may sometimes have to walk on the roads. There's not much traffic around here (like about 3 cars per hour), but I'd still like to have some sort of lighted collar and/or leash. Trouble is, the ones I've found on-line either blink (which I find very irritating), or use odd-sized non-rechargable batteries. Anyone know where I can find some that just glow (blue or green for preference), and use standard AA or AAA batteries?

Thanks,

James

Not quite what you are after but the one i have is a Canac make, it does not have any batteries, it is just a high visibility fluorescent reflective material one.

I also have a reflective jacket for Holly which also has reflective paws on it (the only type of jacket she will ever wear i might add). It has velcro under the belley and collar. It does the job pretty well for those dark mornings and evenings which now here it is dark by 6pm. They work really well when the car headlights catch them.

I have got a light pendant that fits on her collar too but i don't need it with the jacket.

I quite like the flashing ones but they would perhaps annoy you if they were on your dog and also i think Holly might get distracted by the flash reflection.

You might want to check out the reflective/glow collars Bebop USA (www.bebopusa.com) makes - they are supposed to glow AND have high powered reflective material too, no batteries required. They have leashes and collars.

For Maggie, I've used a blaze orange hunting dog vest and that seems to help visibility as well.

Last year, I used those little colorful blinkers that click onto the collar. Unfortunately, they died every 3 - 4 weeks, and the batteries weren't available in local stores, so I had to keep buying new ones.

This year, I decided to fork out $19.99 and buy a Puplight:

http://www.puplight.com/site/592684/page/235283

Alas, I've had it about 3 - 4 weeks, and love it - very bright and visible from very far away, so I feel safe on the street - but today, Buddy walked around and the light disappeared. I found it (still lit) on the ground a bit down the path, but whatever clasp had held the back to the front had broken or snapped. So, the lit part won't click into the part that fits on the collar. I'm going to see if Petco will replace it or give me a refund. For $19.99, I expect it to last all winter. Even IF Buddy rolled over on it once. Harumph.

Plus side, the lab-walkers also have them, and they report that the lights continue to work, even after the labs have gone in the water. (Buddy doesn't swim, but snow play might make waterproofness an issue.)

If you search eBay for "dog light collar," you find a variety of items like this, including some cool collars with 4 LED lights built in.

Good luck!

Mary

Ouzo had something similar to this one from Petsmart - $4.99. But I think I paid about $9.99 and it didn't have the clasp. It was attaching to his colar.

pPETS-3764502t400.jpg

Flashing dog Safe-T-Tag Bone

Great product, it's motion activated and has a on/off switch, so it's not annoying when it's not needed, until Chris decided to attach it to a backpack during a hiking trip (not a bad idea in itself), and Ouzo found it simply irresistable and destroyed it when we got home and left the backpack on the floor.

I have orange reflective vests that I put on my dogs for walks after dark. The ones I have were made by Ruff Wear and are really nice. They were originally about $30 each, but I got mine when a local store was running a 40% sale.

INU,

How well have the auroralite collars held up for you? I was looking at them the other day online as I was searching for a lighted collar for Kipp for SAR training now that the days are getting short. They look great, but I'm not quiet sure I want to spend quite that much on one. But if they hold up well for at least a couple years, I may just go ahead and give it a try.

INU,

How well have the auroralite collars held up for you? I was looking at them the other day online as I was searching for a lighted collar for Kipp for SAR training now that the days are getting short. They look great, but I'm not quiet sure I want to spend quite that much on one. But if they hold up well for at least a couple years, I may just go ahead and give it a try.

I got mine long time ago. It kept breaking and I had to fix the wiring many times. The company now has a better version and I've been told it has less problems. Did you see they have a glowing vest now? I invested in other glowing collars and sticks. With all the problems I had, I still like my auroralite the best.

I had a light-up collar, though I don't remember the brand now, and I also have one of the bone-shaped lights that Anda posted a picture of. I do like it, but the best way to get those is to order them online since the prices are MUCH better that way.

Now, though, I usually just use the little LED light keychains that you can find in camping sections of Walmart/Target or the camping stores. The lights are very bright and obvious, and they last a really long time. The prices aren't bad either. Many of the brands allow you to set it to blinking OR just "on". Another big reason I like them is that they come in many different colors. I put a different color on each dog, so I know which dog is which when we're out in the dark and off-leash (like when we're camping).

We picked up a reflective webbing collar on the Danish equivalent of eBay. It seems to reflect quite while despite the fact that she has a little bit of a ruff. I imagine it would be more problematic on a rough coated BC.

A blinking light would give me a migraine.

This might be of interest; with an on-off switch and an LED light, battery life should be good, and the unit appears to use an easy-to-replace button battery. (The web page even shows instructions on how to replace the battery.) Glow Collars

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like the auroralight one is closest to what I wanted - a steady glow, not red, and using rechargable batteries. We'll see how it works. If all else fails, I'll just get some LEDs or glow wire and make one. I may do that anyway, and see if I can run a glow wire the length of her retractable leash.

The PupLight one was interesting, because I swear it's exactly the same as the headband light I carry just in case I need it. I don't really use it for walking, because it ruins my night vision. I don't really need a light for trails: when it gets dark, I just follow the white tail-tip in front of me.

I have one of THESE (same idea as THIS) for Chesney and Tucker. The only problem I find with it is his neck hair covers it if its not pretty snug up around the top part of his neck, they seem to be suited for shorter haired dogs. Otherwise you can set it to flash or stay on solid. I like them for playing in the park at night for Tucker and Chesney. You can see them a long ways away.

I like the look of Auroralites reflectors and the puplight looks like it would be a product I would try