BC Boards

Prayers needed...

My mother recently lost her female collie "Gabby" after 11 years of happiness. She is left with a tri-colored male named "Presley". Yes, she's an Elvis fan. My mother was very upset over Gabby's death. She keeps asking herself why put herself though this? Why get a dog when you are going to have to go through this pain. We keep reminding her of the 11 great years of love and happiness she gave Gabby. Gabby was a very lucky dog to have the life she did.

A couple weeks ago mom said that she isn't going to get any more dogs. My sisters and I tried not to laugh when she said that because we heard it before.

Well, a friend of my mother said that there was a BC mix tied up to a box at an Amish Farm near the stables where they ride horses. The dog has never been left off the chain =o(. She said he was a real friendly dog and would flop on to his back for a good belly rub whenever someone approched him. My mothers friend said the owners tried to give him a away on a few occasions.

My mom decided to go look at him... surprise! She fell in love with him instantly and got very exicted about taking him home and showing him that there is more to life than being tied to a dog box 24/7. The owner came out and talked to my mom. My mom said that she heard that he was trying to give the dog away and that my mom wanted him. He said he didn't know where my mom heard that... and that he was not giving the dog away. She pleaded with him, saying that she would give him a much better home than he has now, etc, etc. He said that he was his guard dog....??? Go figure. This dog wouldn't hurt a flea... he just wants attention from anyone that come his way.

My mom is going to go back when that guy isn't home and takl to his wife. She might be able to convince her to give up the dog. If that doesn't work she may offer them $50 or $100.

Keep my mother and this dog in your thoughts. Hopefully he'll be running with the tri male collie on their 4+ acres in the very near future.

Oh boy... I mentioned offering $50 or $100 to give this dog a better life. I hope that wasn't in poor taste.

Sorry, but there's a difference between offering money to save a dog from a bad situation and selling puppies for profit.

A poem for your mom (from Gabby):

Sorrow fills a barren space;

you close your eyes and see my face

and think of times I made you laugh,

the love we shared, the bond we had,

the special way I needed you -

the friendship shared by just we two.

The day's too quiet, the world seems older,

and the wind blows now a little colder.

You gaze into the empty air

and look for me, but I'm not there -

I'm in heaven and I watch you,

and I see the world around you too.

I see little souls wearing fur,

souls who bark and souls who purr

born unwanted and unloved -

I see all this and more above -

I watch them suffer, I see them cry,

I see them lost, I watch them die.

I see unwanted thousands born -

and when they die, nobody mourns.

These little souls wearing fur

(some who bark and some who purr)

are castaways who - unlike me -

will never know love or security.

A few short months they starve and roam,

or caged in shelters - nobody takes home.

They're special too (fur balls of pleasure),

filled with love and each one, a treasure.

My pain and suffering came to an end,

so don't cry for me, my person, my friend.

But think of the living - those souls with fur

(some who bark and some who purr) -

and though our bond can't be broken apart,

make room for another in your home and your heart.

Carol Schubert-James

UPDATE: "Caesar" is now at my moms! He is soooo happy. He cannot stop wagging his tail. I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

PS - The Amish family gave in with a $50 donation. =o).

In the rush to update I forgot to thank everyone.

I also wanted to mention that she didn't rename this dog... His old owner never gave him a name in 4+ years. He now has a name... Caesar.

PS - The Amish family gave in with a $50 donation. =o).

What a surprise. :rolleyes:

I knew someone who bought a bc pup from an Amish kid who was dragging her with a rope tied around her neck -- for a can of soda.

Your mom asked, Amish guy saw the opportunity -- 50 bucks is 50 bucks - Who got the best in this deal. The dog. I'm happy for the happy ending.

Now, I'm taking bets on how long it's going to be before another dog shows up on the end of the same chain.

That's awesome!! I'm so glad your mom got him. I'm sure he's so thankful that she did. I hope they have lots of great memories together. I'm waiting for pictures too :rolleyes:

Caesar is doing well. He chewed through his pen last night but didn't run away. Presley was grumpy at first, but from what I hear he kinda likes Caesar.

Caesar has a little bit of BC in him... but not much. He isn't a real handsome dog, but his personally more than makes up for it. :rolleyes:

We are just about to leave for a walk... should be interesting. There will be six dogs in total on this walk... normally I would say this might be over kill for his second day, but he is really submissive and I don't think they'll be a problem.

I'll get some pics posted of our walk asap.