BC Boards

New to BC forums

Hi, my name is John, and I have a 5 month old black and white BC named Charlie. Just wanted to introduce us, I got Charlie to be a pet, definatly without doing much of the reading that I should have on borders, but even still I seem to have lucked out. Asside from some of the little puppy things, Charlie hasn't showed any real problems (like herding small children).

Anyways just wanted to make a short introduction, I was also wondering about how long it takes for BC's to get fully grown...

Charlie's about 28lbs now and seems to have slowed growing a lot, I originally was hoping for him to get up to the 40lbs range

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Well, with a 5 month old BC you won't be "sleeping" for long!

If your guy is 28lbs at 5 months old, he will probably surpass 40lbs. My little guy is 8mos old and 31lbs and I still expect he will be around 40lbs full grown.

Hi, John!

We're in the same boat. I've got a little girl BC named Kaylee, who will be 5 months old tomorrow. She weighs about 22 pounds right now, but I swear she's bigger every morning! We've been making jokes about the Magic Crate: put the puppy in at night, and in the morning, she's bigger!

Kaylee is sometimes a handful, but we're doing better this week than the last several. What a dear, funny, smart thing she is! I'm sure Charlie is keeping your house lively: I'd love to see a picture of him!

Welcome John. Sounds like you have a nice young pup there. Pictures are always welcome.

I'll put pictures up when I get a chance. Charlie's pretty easy going, mostly he likes taking naps, I'm not sure if he'll get more hyper as he gets older, but for the most part when I get back with him from a walk, we both lay down together and watch a movie :rolleyes: (he does run in his sleep though)

Thanks for the warm welcome, I noticed there were lots of places on the boards to talk about training borders for herding, flyball, ect... where would the best place be to talk about more domestic training topics?

Ruger was about 18 months when he quit putting on weight. One day I noticed that this skinny refugee from a concentration camp bulked up. I swear he put on 5lbs in just a couple of weeks. It was kind of funny. Now he is about 40lbs of muscle and is faster than a speeding locamotive and can leap tall buildings in a single bound. As long as there is a frisbee involved. :rolleyes:

If your guy is 28lbs at 5 months old, he will probably surpass 40lbs. My little guy is 8mos old and 31lbs and I still expect he will be around 40lbs full grown.

Your words got me wondering(not that I'd never wondered this before)...my boy is nearing 8 months and is 28 lbs. I'm impatient, wondering whether or not he'll make 40 lbs....I prefer the smaller, more compact BCs, but he's always been a tall, leggy pup. :rolleyes:

My Miss Sophie seems to constantly grow and is pretty much what you described. She's all legs. Now, lately, she's got a big head too. Plus her feet seem bigger. Usually I noticed pups that are gonna be big have big feet, but not Sophie, hers grew and now seem a little bigger in comparison to her body.

I call her either legs, teeth or big head when I'm being silly :rolleyes: - not to mention dork, silly goose and weirdo.

Hi! Welcome to the boards! :D Would love to see pics of Charlie. Oh, you're going to see more action out of Charlie in the next few months. :rolleyes: Nykie is 9 months old and 35lbs. She was pretty laid back until she was around 6-7 months old. :D

Charlie is very handsome! And as for chewing the couch - get used to it. My 11 year old BC still chews pillows, blankets, sheets, etc. She likes to chew blankets into ponchos! I can't tell you how many blankets I stuffed into her dog beds that have perfect holes in the center of them.

Enjoy the sleeping time now because once he gets older and gets into a routine, watch out! Our girls don't understand weekends yet. They still want to get up at 5am when the paper is delivered and when my husband usually gets up during the week. No sleep here!!!

Charlie has such a precious face - enjoy the puppy time because it goes too quickly.

Ha ha, yeah, he's pretty hard to stay mad at, especially since he loves to cuddle and give kisses. Mostly it's been an excercise in finding ways to prevent him from getting himself in trouble.

As for the Routine, I'm in College and work nights, I have a weekly routine, but it's not the same any two days in a row, on days that I get up for school at 5 Charlie looks even less excited about it then I am. I think he's got it figured out that if I wake up early he doesn't get any morning play time. On my non-school days he lets me sleep till 9 or 10 and then he wakes me up to play.

post-7917-1191295084_thumb.jpg Hey! Im new too! But Welcome aboard! By the way, where did you get him? I could swear if I hadnt just looked in her kennel, that my Stella was the one chewing up your couch!

:D soooo cute! He reminds me of one of our rescues, especially with that tiny bit of white on his muzzle....

This is Fritz: Fritz_Ball.jpg

I'm new here too, and I'm fostering a Tri-Colored Border Collie from the rescue I work with. He is almost 6 months and this is his first experience in a home environment.

This morning was only our 3rd morning together and I think the honeymoon is already over :D ...he whined and cried to get out of his crate for the first time this morning - even after our morning walk and breakfast was over :rolleyes:

Here's Tate (he's 31 lbs): DSC_8030.jpg