BC Boards

OT: Small trailer for trip to NC?

Help me out guys.

We have a mid-sized car. I'm going to need more room if I bring Fynne to NC. I can't picture hubby coming this year but we'll see.

I'll be gone about 2 weeks total.

We don't have much money.

I'd like to tow a small trailer behind my car that I could store stuff in. Then I could bring more food and bathing water and skip the restaurants and motels altogether, and I also wouldn't need to leave the dogs in the car with the air running (which worried me last year).

U-Haul has a very small trailer, but it's too expensive ($20/day). They also have a 4'x6' open trailer that's half the price, but they say the max speed is 45 mph. That's too slow for one thing! For another, it's open, like a cart. What if it rained?

Is there any sort of small, closed trailer I could safely tow at expressway speeds?

I read the "camper" thread. :rolleyes: Hubby likes the idea of getting some sort of camper and I do too. We can't afford it now but may have to if trailers have to be driven slowly.

What, if anything, could we buy used for $3000?

I tried to do a google search to see what is available, but I don't know what search terms to use. I did click on the links in the camper thread. How can I find used stuff like that online so that I can get an idea of what's available, and what it costs?

I don't need sinks and toilets or any creature comforts. I need storage space. The Tear Drop thingy is nice, but expensive.

Can you help me out?

You could probably buy quite a bit used for that money. I don't know how to find anything online. My dad just sold his old camper for only a couple thousand (I believe)... it had queen sized bed, kitchen, fridge, oven, sink, potty, table, etc. He just put an ad in the local paper to sell it.

I was also going to suggest, for just a utility trailer (for storage), buying a used one is probably cheaper than renting. :rolleyes: And you can always sell it later.

If you are planning to tow a small trailer behind a passenger car on a regular basis, you might want to consider having a Class 1 trailer hitch installed on your vehicle; you can then rent whatever you need. For a larger vehicle (e.g., pick-up truck, SUV), consider installing a Class 3 trailer hitch; this will allow you to tow much larger trailers and heavier loads or a car on a special trailer. And, of course, if you want to go to the extreme and tow a mobile home, consider a 5th wheel installation, as well as a Class 3 hitch.

MIZTIKI,

Several years ago I went from NC to Wyoming and stayed in KOA camper cabins alot of the nights. The camper cabins were cheaper than motel rooms and one or two of them had a/c. Dogs were allowed. It was me and my border collie in my Saturn sedan.

No RV's or cabins for me, thanks! This is my vacation and I want to camp, preferably where there are no people as far as the eye can see. I enjoy "roughing it". Besides, renting a van or RV would cost WAY too much money!

Natalie, that's the right term - "utility trailer". Thanks! I'll do some searches for those and see what I come up with.

Does anyone know how fast you can safely drive while towing a small trailer?

Long shot but check out freecycle and if there is a trading post site in your area. In Augusta, there was a magazine that came out I think once a month and it listed all sorts of things by catorgory folks wanted to sell ( cars, campers, animals, supplies you name it). The mag. was called IWANNA. Also check out your local classifed sections. We found our pop up camper for sale on a main highway. Also mite wanna check out places like Camperland and see if they have any trade ins to sell.

Miztiki, the 45mph speed limit u-haul puts on ALL their trailers is just to cover their butts cuz most people don't know a thing about loading, and sometimes they even "forget" they have a trailer when they change lanes. So they figure at 45, you won't be changing lanes, and no matter how you load it, it should be fine. They will tell you it is because of the size of the tires. Check out some of the smaller boat trailers tires. They fly down the freeway!

You can buy small utilities that you put together, and add your own floor and walls. You can make them any size, ht. wise, that you want. If DH is handy at all this would be good. If not, I am sure you will find something in the paper. The total cost would be less than $1,000.

As far as a hitch, u-haul will sell and install a hitch for you. They will be attached to the frame of your car. They will also hook up the light connections.

The utility trls. are usually 4'X8', we have one, and it was perfect. We had all our camping stuff in it and when the mood struck us, we only had ice and food to get and off we went! New ones run from $600 for the put together kind to $3000 for already put together. If you want an open one, those blue tarps and bungee cords work great!

As far as loading, try to distribute weight evenly but ALWAYS make sure the front of the trailer is heavier than the back. The other way around will make fishtailing much more likely.

Sorry so long, hope this helps in your decision!

Miz,

I bought my antique Shasta for $500. Other similar campers can be found for $3,000 or less. Some of the older trailers do have showers and toilets, others do not (mine doesn't). Check E-Bay and use Google to search for used/vintage campers and see what you find. Not all will be useable right away, so make sure you examine them closely for roadworthiness before buying. I was able to start using mine immediately, so it is possible to find useable campers cheap, if you are willing to compromise on some things (like perhaps a shower and toilet).

I believe Debbie Crowder also got a camper off E-Bay for less than your max price.

As was mentioned in the camper thread, weight will be a big issue. And unfortunately, when I was looking at stock trailers, lightweight aluminum trailers commanded a much greater price than the older, heavier steel trailers. You'll probably find the same problem with lighter vs. heavier campers, unless you do like I did and go waaaay back in time (mine is 46 years old!).

You might be able to rent a camper, especially if you have friends or relatives in the military. Many bases have campers for rent at very reasonable prices (that's how I managed to rent the A-Liner--through a friend in the Coast Guard), but I don't know if the price would be less than $20/night.

If you can find one of the VW camper vans mentioned in the camper thread, that is a great option as well, but I have no idea what they might cost, if you can even find one.

J.

We purchased a small (800 pound) flatbed trailer - one axel and a loading ramp - it was less than $700 new at Tractor Supply. We've done all kinds of things with it, including move livestock from Massachusetts to NC. It's never let us down.

Heck, $3000 should get you a small camper somewhere - we looked at a popup that someone was selling, last year, for just that - it had "facilities" and an hydraulic automatic lift system - you had to pull out the beds but if you can pitch a tent, you can do that. I like to look at rvtrader.com and dream sometimes . . . :cool:

If you really don't want a camper, or if your car can't handle it, look in the agricultural classifieds for your state for used trailers. Plus as others have said there's newspaper classifieds and the bargain shopper papers you can pick up at restaurants, grocery stores, and gas stations.

Also check out any classifieds in publications for other industries or hobbies that would use small enclosed trailers - landscaping, building contractors and subcontractors, music performance, small motorsports - I bet you could think of plenty more. These publications might be available online, at a library, or through friends in the "biz."

Lowes has a 4x6 trailer for $558. I believe home depot has trailers for around the same price.

I'm thinking about maybe attending NC get together. I think it would be fun. I have not been to Carolina in yrs. I was once married to a girl from Rockymount NC. Went most holidays to visit her family.

What is the closest big city to Semora. Semora is where it is going to be?

Lance,

Semora is about 20 minutes (or so) SE of Danville. Coming from VA Beach, you might just want to come straight out 58 and then drop down from South Boston and head west toward Semora. (By way of comparison, I am about 30 miles from Semora, and if I'm heading up into VA to visit friends or go to trials, I can make it to South Boston in about 45 minutes.) I imagine it would take you a little over 3 hours (I have a friend in Chesapeake who made it out in about that amount of time, and another in Elizabeth City who had approximately the same travel time).

You should come if you can--we'd love to meet you and Bandit!

J.

Those little teardrop trailers are PERFECT!!!

Except I can't afford one. BUT, I might be able to rent one (I found an active discussion forum about them) OR I might be able to buy a used one OR I might be able to build one! I read that you can build one for around $1500. I could make it to suit my needs just perfectly, and work on it little by little over the years. How cool is that?!

Honey! Are you lurking? I need some money! :rolleyes:

Semora is about 20 minutes (or so) SE of Danville. Coming from VA Beach, you might just want to come straight out 58 and then drop down from South Boston and head west toward Semora.
Actually, you'd want to come out a few miles west of South Boston (just a bit past Turbeville), and take 119 south 5.2 miles to Cunningham. We are on the corner of Cunningham and Scott Road. 58 to 119 also applies for anyone coming from Richmond, or Danville/Roanoke or parts north. :rolleyes:

I've been researching campers and trailers all day today! I want to build my own Teardrop! :rolleyes:

That won't happen in time for the trip, so I'm searching for a small, used cargo trailer, like a 4x6. That should hold all of my stuff.

When I build my Teardrop, I'm going to make it like a giant dog crate. I've already got the picture in my mind!