BC Boards

Register your pets with the city/county?

INU

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs get a rabies tag from the vet. It has a # and the vets phone and name on it. No county licensing required. It is also how I got Jackson back when he took an overnight excursion. While I am certain the same outcome would have happened had I had a name and phone of mine on him, it is no extra cost to me. They need rabie shots, the vet gives me the tag. This is handy. I don't have to keep records with me when I take the dogs away from home. When I lived in town, Cheyenne got registered once. They said is the dog s/n? And before I could answer, she marked yes. Saved me $30 bucks and I never said a word. I never registered her after that. Figured with that attitude, they ain't gonna come spying around.

Ditto Bill, top to bottom (also no pun intended).

Our county is a rural neighbor of a capital city area, and while the county is starting to feel more urban in a lot of ways, one good thing is I can still get a "kennel license" without going before a Board of Supervisors or Zoning Board to have more than 4-5 domestic animals (cats/dogs). I pay a measley $35 per year to legally house <25 dogs. If that's all they ask of me, I'm content with compliance of the law. I have never been investigated, complained on, or even spot-checked.

Add to that, I'm a 4H leader (y'all probably already knew that), and the "Character Counts" liason for our county, and they all believe in proper citizenship, so I try to live what I intend to preach.

We have a great animal control department in our county and that's one heck of a thankless job.

Like Bill, I'm as law abiding as possible. Even if I'm a bleeding heart liberal. Or maybe because.

When I get the girls their rabies shots, the vet is required to tell the county, who then, eventually, send me a bill for licensing them.

I sure want them vaccinated and licensed because all it takes is one neighbor to complain that he saw a dog or cat with you and wants to know if it's legal. Or to claim that you pet attached her or her pet - even if it's a lie. I guess, if I knew there would be a sheriff on my doorstep I could hide the girls in the crawl space or the attic. But the baking might be hard to explain.

And, if either somehow were lost, I'd like to know that I could call Animal Control and get my girl back without a legal hassle.

Another bonus to licensing, is that when the average Joe knows they have to pay a fee every year, they may be put off on getting a dog (a good thing, what with all the cruddy owners out there these days). Those who are serious about dog ownership would willingly pay a fee every year.

Granted, there are always the loser owners who get a dog and don't pay a single cent for the rest of the dog's life, whether it be licensing or healthcare.