BC Boards

Question on neutering?

Got my "Estimate" today

pre surgical exam/hosp. 24.00- he just had one today- that should be a gimme-

Dog neuter 30-60# 70.00

Pain Injectectable-med. dog 20.00 (just did a spell check & this doesn't appear to be a word- LOL)

----------------------------------------------

Is this about normal? I don't see anything mentioned about gas, yet I know they use gas and the humane society didn't used to when I worked there. Guess I should research some more.

Wanted to get your opinions

I had my glasses on when I typed it- LOL. Maybe the receptionist didn't .

No he didn't mention "pre-blood work". Hmmm, should I ask? He & his wife have been taking care of my dogs for years.

Edited by Bo Peep

No he didn't mention "pre-blood work". Hmmm, should I ask? He & his wife have been taking care of my dogs for years.

Well, I always was under the impression that pre-op blood work was just an "extra" that vets charged, until a friend of mine had her kitten neutered and he died because of a pre-existing condition that blood work may have caught....so I have since changed my school of thought on that! As far as the cost goes, that sounds about right....

Nah, don't second guess your vet on my account. Definetly wait for the real dog people to answer. :rolleyes:

I pay for it when my dogs go under and it's usually right around $50. But most of my dogs are not youngsters.

I hear you on the glasses. I actually tried to leave the house in my slippers this morning, how's that for geezer brain?

ETA: Bettilu, sorry about that. We posted at the same time, just don't want you to think I was intimating you aren't a real dog person.)

pre surgical exam/hosp. 24.00 maybe that's the blood work minus the exam? guess I have a lot of questions.

We just had Lindee spayed last Monday, here's her breakdown:

$6.50 Sample Blood Collection/Pre-Spay Testing

$95.00 Spay Dog 26-50lbs

$55.00 Laser procedure

$16.00 Pain Medication

---------------------------------------

$172.50 Total

That might look a bit high but we LOVE the vet and her staff. The place is ALWAYS spotless and we feel the extra money is well worth the quality of service that Lindee gets.

:rolleyes:

Jesus... thats cheap! Cost more than that for the anaesthetic here.. Shadow's spay will cost me $350 and thats with a 15% discount :D Anaesthetic charge here is standard $125-$175 depending on weight, plus $115 for pre-an blood work which you HAVE to have, no blood work, no surgery.

The $24 fee will likey be for a normal exam check eyes, ears, weight, temperature etc. Need to make sure the pup is healthy for surgery. Also to cover the cost of the day at the office, fluids, bedding, etc etc... $24 seems like a good deal =) I, personally, would ask them about the pre-anaesthetic blood work. A lot of people say its not neccesary, but from my experience its VERY neccesary.. I've seen "healthy" dogs' bloodwork come back indicating that surgery would be a very bad idea until things were fixed inside. As I said though, thats just my opinion, I'm an over-protective mommy. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I'm apparently living in the wrong country! *shakes fist* LOL

well, a neuter is cheaper than a spay You don't need to open up. I like this vet. But I will insist on the blood work. The problem is......he thinks I know more than I do. I just have to fess up and plead "dumb" because I want the best for my dog.

P.S. Might have a PT job- LOL. Nah, tried that- hands too shaky to give an IV to a dog.

I once ran a line in a teeny tiny kitten, now I go to the hospital and I think "OMG how can they miss MY veins.. I need to call my vet and get her t.. OW OW OW" :rolleyes: Plus ~I~ don't growl, or try to bite the nurses! Maybe I should try... :D (I kid I kid! I love doctors and nurses!)

The spay and nueter costs here are different, yes, but the blood work and anaesthetic costs are the same, thats the expensive part!

I'd simply ask how much they charge for "pre-anaesthetic blood work" I've looked online and some clinics charge $5-$10, some, like mine are $115 or more, the prices vary all over the continent, and its good to know how much they want from you! Basically pre-an blood work tests to see the levels of secretions in the blood by various organs... makes sure the liver sectretions, white blood cells etc are all in proper amounts, checks to see that the kidneys are working properly and generally they check the clotting factors as well, even a neuter involves some cutting and a bleeding disorder needs to be known about before hand. Its an extra bit of info that can really help out your vet.

I would say that the fee presented is in line for the services provided....that being said I had Rory spayed last week and it was 350 (included microchipping and registration), but we had all ready done the bloodwork in the last few months. My sister in law is the Vet who performed the surgery (she thinks her clinic charges too much) so I know she had Rory's best interests in mind. I think the spay was 140, catheter and kit 45, pain meds and anesthesia about another 130.

I also agree that the bloodwork is probably somewhere in the 50 range.

EDIT: I'm apparently living in the wrong country! *shakes fist* LOL

You and me both! I'm cringing at the thought of having to get Storm and Rain neutered and spayed. :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to see why there are so many unwanted puppies around. Sure is spendy. In a perfect world. It would be cheaper to spay/neuter the dogs than let them go around unaltered.

I think that is a very good price. My vet will charge that much just for the anesthesia. Going with my personal vet, I will pay around $230 for a neuter (with basic bloodwork) and around $330 for a spay (without bloodwork). I have been talking with a couple other rescuers in my area because I need to find a cheaper alternative for the fosters. Keep in mind, these prices are just for speuters. The rescues usually also need shots and often have other medical issues that cost money. I'm getting a new foster dog this weekend. She was pulled by another rescue a few hours away. The woman has a vet that she works with up there that gives her great breaks on basic vet work for rescues. She is going to get my new foster spayed, vaccinated, wormed, and microchipped for $70! :rolleyes: Now, that's a bargain!

Neuter charges:

about $100 at the farm vet - no special perks, no blood work

About $150 at the "dog" vet - including blood work.

$20 at the humane society south of here at the once a month "fix it" day.

Of the 3, the humane society and the farm vet do the best job - much neater work and less follow up issues.

geez! We spayed Ceana in early july and I have the largest total of anyone on the borad! We spent about 450.00 for the whole sha-bang. It was about 100.00 for the pre-op blood work visit, and 350.00 for the spay, pain medicine, two week check up (which she cut her nose a few hours afterwords and had to spend 100 @ the E-vet anyway!) and micro chip.... we go to an office that offers free shots for pups whose parents can't afford them so maybe I should consider this crazy cost a donation!!??!!

Shadow's microchip was done by the breeder, luckily.. since its $175 for it at the vets -.- Common practice here is still the good old tattoo :D . BUT I just found out Shadow's surgery will be $75 more, she needs a puppy canine pulled (she chipped it at the breeders, and its getting infected :rolleyes:).

Shadow's microchip was done by the breeder, luckily.. since its $175 for it at the vets -.- Common practice here is still the good old tattoo :D . BUT I just found out Shadow's surgery will be $75 more, she needs a puppy canine pulled (she chipped it at the breeders, and its getting infected :rolleyes:).

you need a new vet!

Microchip standard is usually around $40...the chip is about $15 inself, then registration costs. Puppy canines have no signficant root - they can be pulled on the exam table with a pair of hemostats. All of Lena's were stuck as puppies and vet had them out with a 1, 2, 3! for $10 added on the visit cost.