BC Boards

Question on neutering?

Zeus and Zena just got spayed and Neutered on Friday and it cost me $0 for their visit...

All of my dogs are on Banfield's plan where you pay a yearly sign up fee (goes down after the first year which includes the spay/neuter but was probably about $100) and $19.95 monthly fee and it covers all office visits (unlimited), all shots, spay/neuter, routine bloodwork and stool samples and swabs and stuff plus you get discounts on things like flea and tick drops, extra vet visits (casts etc). I have a little comparison chart and so far with Zeus and Zena alone I've saved $3k with everything that I've brought them in for. I saved a lot more on Clover when she was there for a week on an IV and dying... My vet always does all the bloodwork and extras and is always willing to give me the benefit of the doubt and do an extra check (at no extra charge) if I need it. We've been with her for all 4 dogs and she saved Clover's life when she was a little puppy. I'm SOOO happy with them.

Note: not all Banfields are this good. I refuse to go to the one across town again because they are incompetent to the extreme.

Chipping at my vet costs $50, plus the registration fee (another $17). I just ordered chips from Jeffers myself and did 5 dogs--total cost of chips ~$85 (including shipping), and since I'm registering 5 or more to my name, that's another $9 per--a significant savings. This is for HomeAgain chips (since that's what Jeffers carries). Most of my dogs (except the two pups, whom I haven't gotten done yet) are also tattooed. With name plates also on their collars, there's no excuse for anyone finding one of my dogs not to be able to track me down! :rolleyes:

For spaying or neutering, I had a bitch spayed this spring and it cost $373, but that included a lump removal from the mammary chain as well. This was at my "less expensive" vet. Had a gone to the other vet I sometimes used, the spay alone would have been something lik $350, with the lumpectomy an additional cost on top of that. The best quote I've gotten on spaying was ~$170, and that same vet will neuter a cryptorchid male for basically the same price, IIRC. A regular neuter would be somewhat less.

When last I checekd I needed to neuter a male cat and my local vets wanted something like $150 to do it. I ended up taking him to a low-cost clinic where it cost me less than half that (including pain meds to go home with, but no pre-anesthetic bloodwork, which I would have refused anyway).

J.

It was $120 total, each, to spay my girls and will be the same to neuter Quynn if we stay with our current vet. Our vet is excellent and I'd hate to have to leave him, but now that we've moved he's quite a ways away and we do have an amazing facility only minutes away where we are now. I have yet to contact them about neutering Quynn, so I haven't compared, though I've a feeling the closer clinic may be charging more.