BC Boards

Peeing

Is there like a certain age they get to where they stop peeing so much? He's 10 or 11weeks now and still pees every 5minutes, it wouldnt be so bad but he never does it on the pee pad :rolleyes: - any advice? I tried doing the same things with him as I did previous dogs and nothing has helped

Some dogs just take longer than others. Assuming that there's no medical reason (bladder infection or anything like that), persistence and consistency will pay off in the end. I'm still working on it with my 2 pups too. They're 4 months old now and much better than before, but still not yet perfect. They never have any accidents in their crate at nighttime, but I still have to watch them carefully in the daytime. Just be glad it's not a great dane you're training. Been there, done that, 2 puppies at the same time. I found they took the longest of any dogs I've ever had, and they didn't leave a little puddle, it was more like a lake :rolleyes:

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

-Get rid of pee pads.

-Buy crate.

-Use crate anytime you cannot 100% watch dog.

-When you can 100% watch dog, take him out to potty every 15 minutes (or less if he looks like he needs to go).

Is there a reason you are using pee pads anyway? Your puppy should be crated when you are gone and at night, not free to use a pee pad. Allowing a dog to potty inside, whether in an appropriate area or not, is only setting them up for immense confusion when it comes time to make them pee outside all of the time. At 11 weeks old, your pup should be able to hold it for a couple of hours if crated. By 12 weeks old most can hold it for 3-4 hrs and the time they can hold it only goes up from there. Four to five months old is generally they it seems to "click" in their head that they CAN hold it and that they SHOULD hold it.

Be consistent and diligent. Don't allow your puppy out of your sight.

Just to add...Everytime your pup uses the bathroom outside, praise him alot. Make him feel good about what he did. That is if you aren't already doing it.

And make sure you don't let him drink anything before going to bed or just before leaving your home. Are you feeding him canned dog food? Canned dog food has a lot of water in it and will make him go more often.

Nope dry food........and i praise him everytime he uses the restroom outside. I crate him at night and during the day while I am gone and 50% of the time he pees in there and gets it all over himself.....While watching tv or something I keep an eye on him but ill look away for 5seconds and he pees again...I've never had a pup pee so much lol ( I wouldnt mind so much if not for me having carpet) and as for the puppy pads..I just would like him to try to use them if he thinks he needs to go inside for some reason

First I'd get him to the vet and have them run a test for a UTI(Urinary tract infection). then I'd follow all the great advice you have been given here.

Have you been cleaning the carpet really good where he goes? Maybe he's smelling where he's already gone and he just figures it's where he's supposed to go.

Do you have him on a feeding and crating schedule? I found if I had both, (and I mean always same time for food and the crate, home or not) she had fewer accidents. I didn't get my pup until she was 16 weeks, but she was housebroken by 18 weeks, so hang in there!

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

How long are you leaving him alone in his crate during the day? Do you take him outside 2-3x per night? An 11-week old puppy cannot be expected to hold it for more than, say, 2 hours, so if you are leaving him crated longer than that it's only natural he will pee in his crate. He can't help it. You need to feed him on a schedule and monitor water intake. Any water that goes in must come out...and probably within 20 minutes. Take up water ~30 minutes before you must leave the house and ~1 hour before bedtime. Give him ample opportunities to empty his bladder before you leave or go to bed.

If he's having trouble having free roam of the house, even when you are watching, my solution would be to just crate him more. Set him up for success and give him more freedom as he earns it. You still need to take him outside very often, though, even if he's crated when you are home.

Are you making sure he actually potties when you go outside or are you just letting him out into your backyard? You need to be sure he is actually going potty and you are praising him for doing so. Take a treat if that is a reward to him. As soon as his back legs lift up from his pee, praise and treat. Do not praise at the beginning of the potty or you'll get a dog that doesn't finish pottying in anticipation of praise and reward. Always allow the dog to finish, then praise. Boys don't always pee all at once so he may need to go potty two or three times each time you go outside. I know when I am housetraining a puppy my neighbors think I am nuts because I take them out, quite literally, every 10 minutes. But, it works. I like dogs to be completely and reliably housetrained by the time they are 5-6 months old and so far, my method's worked perfectly.

A UTI in an 11-week old puppy is not impossible but is a very, very rare occurance. I don't think that's the issue here.

my puppy is also 11 weeks old. I read in an old book that if you dont have a crate, you can tie them to something and they still wont soil their area. may be a little out of date, but it seems to work. if I cant completely watch her, I crate her, but Im worried about overdoing that so if Im able to say, just keep my eye on her but not completely watch her, I tie her on a leash to my living room table, which has a good view of every other room, so she can watch me cleaning house or whatever. I put plenty of toys out and keep my ears open so I can hear her if she starts chewing on the table leg.

also, I will try tying her to me- but that can be annoying for some daily tasks and the table works better. (for short periods only, of course)

this post has got me wondering- is it cruel to leave an 11 week old in the crate all night? she doesnt soil it but i put her in from 10:30pm to 7 am.

Golf, make sure your crate isn't so big that the puppy can use one end for a bathroom and sleep in the other. Borrow a smaller one from a friend if you don't want to buy one.

Go ahead and start using a command like "Hurry up!" when you're (the dog, that is) outside pottying. It really comes in handy when it's freezing cold outside or pouring rain.

my puppy is also 11 weeks old. I read in an old book that if you dont have a crate, you can tie them to something and they still wont soil their area. may be a little out of date, but it seems to work. if I cant completely watch her, I crate her, but Im worried about overdoing that so if Im able to say, just keep my eye on her but not completely watch her, I tie her on a leash to my living room table, which has a good view of every other room, so she can watch me cleaning house or whatever. I put plenty of toys out and keep my ears open so I can hear her if she starts chewing on the table leg.

also, I will try tying her to me- but that can be annoying for some daily tasks and the table works better. (for short periods only, of course)

this post has got me wondering- is it cruel to leave an 11 week old in the crate all night? she doesnt soil it but i put her in from 10:30pm to 7 am.

I left my pups in their crate all night. If they really had to go they'd whimper and wake us up but most of the time they were fine and they don't have any problems now. I've never heard of the table thing but I would assume that wouldn't really stop a puppy since they could potty in one area and play in another.

Golf, make sure your crate isn't so big that the puppy can use one end for a bathroom and sleep in the other. Borrow a smaller one from a friend if you don't want to buy one.

Go ahead and start using a command like "Hurry up!" when you're (the dog, that is) outside pottying. It really comes in handy when it's freezing cold outside or pouring rain.

Some crates come with adjustable pieces so as to make it smaller or bigger. I made sure my 2 only have enough room to get comfortable. Dog's won't mess where they lay so try making your crate smaller.

I can't remember exactly how many times my pups went out when they were 11 weeks. I think it was every hour and directly after they wake up from a nap or finish eating. As soon as he starts sniffing the carpet take him out. Don't wait, just go. Reward him for outside, and discipline him for pottying inside only if he's in the act of pottying (I wouldn't use the pads either). If he messes in the house before you catch him, it's too late and would only confuse him to discipline him then. Be diligent and you should be able to potty train him within a month or two. Mine had it figured out in about that long. good luck!

All good advice :D

Mine is.... Don't crate him so long and make the crate smaller :rolleyes:

I vote for taking in a urine sample. I had a puppy who just peed all the time and I complained to the vet who brushed it off as typical puppy. At our second appointment, I said "all. the. TIME!" with enough emphasis that the vet heard what I was saying, remembered I knew a thing or two about puppies and decided to test for a UTI, which the puppy did have. She was about 11 or 12 weeks old when it was diagnosed.

True puppies do always pee alot, but I agree, in a rare occurence it could be a UTI. If you don't feel it is normal for your pup- talk to your vet.

Ill give it a week or two but yea as for the crate being to big. I'm not sure that would solve the problem by getting a smaller one because when he uses it in the cage I come home and he's covered in his pee which means he gets a bath about everyday....

By any chance did they keep your pup in dirty conditions?(Being forced to urinate and defecate where they sleep).

Pepper was like that and it took me a year to housebreak her. She is now kennel free unless we leave the house and no one is home.(I also had a feral cat it took me almost 1.5 yrs to break of peeing on my house rugs).

It makes housebreaking a real chore, but it CAN be done.