BC Boards

New Injury

MrSnappy

I haven't has this one before.

Red Dog pulled off a couple paw pads yesterday at the park, but those are wrapped right now. Tweed, however, started limping on and off yesterday and is now limping a lot. I assumed he had pulled off a paw pad as well, but it took me a while to find the real problem...one of his nail beds has pulled loose from his paw (toe). The nail is not falling off or anything, the actual bed of the nail has pulled away from the paw, about a half inch worth.

Aside from resting him, any ideas what I should do with it?

RDM

JJ has scraped a couuple of his pads before but not pulled them off. And so far, he's never damaged a toe nail like that. Sorry but the only thing I can suggect is taking Tweed to the vet before an infection sets in and asking about RD's pads. Or maybe taking both in.

Wish I could have been more helpful.

Umm... not sure if I understand the description, but is it something where you can see a split in the nail, with the pink/red quick exposed underneath it, and the actual nail material still attatched where it meets either the pad or the furred part of toe? If no, I'm not clear on the problem. If yes, information follows.

You can try to cut the "loose" part of the nail back as far as you can without hurting him. When the unattatched part of the nail touches anything, it tugs at the quick and that hurts. If you can minimize contact with the ground and other objects by means of shortening the nail, there will be less tugging on the quick and therefore less pain. If you can't trim it back, or it makes you ooky because it's all sore and icky and oozy, or if it looks infected, or if you're not sure what the best course of action might be, take him to the vet and let them do it. Sometimes the nail is dangling by a thread, and then it can just be pulled. Sometimes it's more attatched and may require anesthetic to do a good job. Sometimes just a careful trim-back (with follow-up trimming as the nail grows out) will do the trick. Just depends on how the nail split.

Argh! No, that's not it. I am sorry, I am having a difficult time describing this one. It figures Tweed would have a moronic injury,

His nail is not split at all, it's in fine shape. But where the nail meets the pad/toe, at the base of the nail, is pulled away from the pad a bit. So where the base of the other toenails sit against the pad/toe, on this one I could stick a sharpened pencil in there if I wanted to (I did think about it, the last time he sniped at Wootie). The nail is not wiggly or dangling, it's still in there real solid, but the very base has pulled away from the toe. Imagine if you stuck a pocket knife under your finger nail down where the nail is actually part of your skin/finger and prised it partially away so there was a gap ...that's kind of the effect I'm talking about. Clear as mud?

Ourboys - RD's paw pads going missing is a regular event. Usually he waits and tears them off at Hyperbowl, but he bucked tradition and went for an earlier date this year. A few days of vet wrap while he forms a brand new pad and he is good to go.

RDM

I think I had something similar with one of mine once, except it was back in the toe where you couldn't see it, could just feel the break. My vet wrapped it in cast padding and vet wrap to minimize pressure and make it more "cushy" and comfortable for her until it healed and to prevent infection.

I'd be concerned about infection. A co-worker one time pulled a door open on Jill's foot and actually split the nail and broke it away from the nail bed. The vet predicted that such an injury is ripe for infection, and sure enough it got infected. The weird thing is that because the nail bed was also split when the nail was split, she now has two nails that grow right next to each other (one is weird little "nail-let"--not a full size nail and it grows sideways). I think a visit to the vet might be in order, for the infection aspect and to make sure you don't get some really weird nail growth out of the part that the nail has detached from.

J.

Sounds like he got it caught on something and it got pulled away from the nail bed without breaking. Either way, I'd say it was a prime candidate for infection. A tweird injury indeed.

Word of advice from personal experience: If he's licking it, it's infected. I had that happen with Nap, although in his case the nail actually had a hairline break in it, not obvious to the naked eye. The vet had to cut back the nail right to the nail bed, under anaesthetic, and was muttering about taking off the first joint too.

"Ourboys - RD's paw pads going missing is a regular event. Usually he waits and tears them off at Hyperbowl, but he bucked tradition and went for an earlier date this year. A few days of vet wrap while he forms a brand new pad and he is good to go."

Oh man, I didn't realize they could do that. Thanks for the heads up. (Note to self-If one of the boys do this, do not panic...do not panic...do not panic....)

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I don't mess around with toenail injuries as they are so prone to infection. I think I am understanding your description of what is wrong and it sounds like this injury is no exception. My vet chops the nail off anytime it's broken in any way, shape, or form below the tip of the quick. Rascal broke hers so good last summer that he whacked the nail completely off down to her toe. My vet also does not believe in anesthetizing a dog for something like this. My job is to hold on tight while he cuts the nail, cauterizes and wraps in in 3.7 seconds flat.

Ditto on the concern about avoiding infection. A friend's dog got a toe infected and it eventually had to be amputated. Given Tweed's stellar agility career, you wouldn't want to risk that now, would you?

It just so happens that one of my dogs appeared with a big swollen nail bed on Thurs, so we went to the vet. Was told it was either an infection or a tumor. Of course, I hoped for the former. She was put on abx and pred, and if it resolved, we would know it was an infection. It has resolved more than 75%. But it was really bad before the abx/pred. I got some photos, but they are just bad quality.

Julie

Given Tweed's stellar agility career, you wouldn't want to risk that now, would you?

Are we talking about the same dog?

His nail is not broken in any way, shape or form. I think he will be fine; he's not even limping anymore. I think it's kind of like when you are trying to, say, prise up a quarter that's been glued to the floor and your nail flips back and it hurts like a sonofabitch but after a while it's fine again. There's nothing really open, it's just that the bed of the nail is pulled slightly away from the pad.

Poor RD is the one who is suffering. Since he is missing pads on both hind feet, and the front legs aren't so stable, he is wobbling and falling down all over the place. He's outside on the deck with a big giant beef bone right now as it doesn't involve standing. I am hoping to distract them from the need to exercise for a couple of days this way, until he heals up.

Stellar agility career. Ha ha ha.

RDM

Imagine if you stuck a pocket knife under your finger nail down where the nail is actually part of your skin/finger and prised it partially away so there was a gap .

RDM

Whooooweee, RDM! I almost passed out when I read this example! *shudder*

Poor Tweed!

I rinse nails busted like that in colloidal silver. Never had an infection or a problem, but it's always wise to be observant. It's also a good idea to consider where the nail was torn too. If in dirty water I'd be more concerned than just a high speed turn and burn.

I wouldn't want a dog put on prednisone for a possible infection. Pred is immune suppressive....

Ah, Colloidal Silver....I don't know what I would do w/o it!

Boy oh boy I don't either!

There are starting to use silver in dressings for certain wounds in human medicine with great success. Lots of research going on....we could have saved them some money and told them we know it works already :rolleyes:

I've had fantastic success with cs for spider bites too.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Don't forget to look at the negative side of colloidal silver as well before claiming it's the end all and be all for fixing everything. If not used properly it can do as much harm as good.

Don't forget to look at the negative side of colloidal silver as well before claiming it's the end all and be all for fixing everything. If not used properly it can do as much harm as good.

Negative what? Do you mean the people who drink gallons and turn grey LOL? Sorry, but idiots abound, and water is dangerous in the hands of a fool.

As for CS, my vet uses it, I use it, my holistic md uses it, my chiropractor uses it....now the FDA says "oooh, look, silver in a wound dressing helps!" Uh huh :rolleyes:

And back to topic, we are talking about rinsing a toenail, our results based on actual experience, with already stated caveats to observe for any infection. Any problems with that?

....now the FDA says "oooh, look, silver in a wound dressing helps!" Uh huh :rolleyes:

Intersting. Back probably 10 years ago now when I had a rollerblading accident (fell when a child I was passing zigged instead of zagged in front of me) resulting in a very bad "road burn" on my arm (I can still see the scar), the burn cream the doctor gave me for it had silver in it. I was under the impression at the time that the cream I was given was a standard treatment for burns, silver and all.

J.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Silver is a toxic heavy metal in the same class as mercury, lead and arsenic. It is also a well-known carcinogen. It builds up in the internal organs and can interfere with the natural immune process since it is excreted extremely slowly from the body.

You may be fine using it externally on occasion (such as for a toenail issue), but I would never give it orally, despite the claims that it works so mysteriously to "fix" so many problems. Sure, it may be a natural antibiotic but that doesn't mean it's safe. Infection (treatable with FDA regulated medication) or cancer? The choice is an individual one.

Since the topic was brought up at all, I felt it necessary to put a small warning out there. I never meant it to go any further than just advising people to read up on the positive vs. negative effects before deciding to use the product.

Carry on.