BC Boards

Raven flying home

So, for those of you who don't know, I'm taking one of Twist's puppies (the "other", i.e. the non-Phoebe, female). This was sort of an accident - I wasn't initially thinking about getting a puppy, despite how much I drooled over both Twists' and Peg's litters... but through a series of unexpected events, circumstances arranged themselves repeatedly so as to place her squarely in my path. (Well, who am I to say no to fate? Not to mention a TWIST PUPPY! Alaskan sheep better be on their toes.)

At any rate, it just so happened (during my mulling-over stage) that I mentioned to one of my clients I was thinking about this pup from the east coast, and my client says, "Well, as it happens, I'm flying to Atlanta this month; I'll bring her back for you, if you like." (Are my clients the greatest, or what?!?) Then my house magically arranged to pay for her (via an unexpected rebate on home owner's insurance). Hmm. Cool.

Then there were a series of hoops to jump through to arrange the in-cabin tickets for her and so on, but everything just sort of shook out. So now we're on to the last hurdle, which is for Julie and Rachel (who is generously helping out) to meet my client in Atlanta at some ungodly hour and for the puppy-formerly-known-as-Waif, but now to be known as Raven, to make the trip home. So, if any of you have any pull with the Deities of Safe and Smooth Airline Travel and Puppy Transport, I'd sure appreciate you letting Them know that we want this to go perfectly and without a hitch. As a reward - pictures! :rolleyes:

So, for any who have contributed to this venture directly or indirectly, my sincerest and most heartfelt thanks for whatever way in which you helped little Raven to fly home. Feel free to post so we can all praise and admire you! And of course, many thanks to Julie for Raven in the first place!

Congratulations to you and Raven! It's meant-to-be. It's probably one of the best times of year for transport since the weather isn't too hot or cold, so I'm sure she'll arrive safe and sound. From the pictures, she is too cute for words. I look forward to your pictures after the stork,er, I mean airplane arrives.

Don't forget Laura, aka Carson Crazies, who will also be participating in the Charlotte-to-Atlanta road trip. Poor thing, we're making her get up awful early, but the alternative (looking after the myriad dogs left behind at Rachel's house) didn't look much better. So now Rachel's DH gets to do potty duty while the three of us take a nice little drive. Hmmm...maybe a remake of Thelma and Louise, plus one? :rolleyes:

J.

ROTFL.

AK Doc Dog bought a puppy on the internet!

That's going to be a very interesting car ride. Of course, Laura is the Queen of Interesting Car Rides (ask her about her trip from SC to Greensboro on like one gallon of gas) so she's the one you need there.

Seriously, we'll say a prayer for little high-flyin' Raven for a safe trip.

Yeah, I'm really taking one for the team (hah - hanging with Julie and Rachel definately isn't boring). :rolleyes: What I really wanna know is who's bringin Brad Pitt? :D Should be fun! I'll be kicking Homer out of my SUV on Saturday so that we have plenty of room for our drive. Providence is so cool. Its a good thing too, b/c I saw my husband making puppy-lusty eyes at Raven last night.

I'll miss Raven's sweet little face and cute puppy belly, but I'm excited waiting to see pics of her in her new home. *nudge nudge*

Oh, good, I'm glad Laura still is going! (I wasn't sure if it was just going to be the Julie and Rachel). So big thanks as well to Laura and to all who are X-ing fingers that this goes seamlessly. (I think we must ALL hear this story about getting from SC to Greensboro on one gallon of gas... I need to know how to get that kind of mileage!) Hmmm.... little Raven turning men's heads? That's good - Dave the BF should be quite taken with her, then. (He's almost ready for another BC himself... maybe in a year or two, but meanwhile he can get his puppy fix from Raven....)

Melanie - SNERK! You are cracking me up!

And: Hmmm, I guess you guys are right - I bought a puppy over the internet! What is WRONG with me? I plead for mercy since I was intoxicated by puppy lust and her inexpressable cuteness. Besides, I didn't get just ANY puppy... she's a TWIST puppy. From Julie's farm. Special.

And I can hardly WAIT to see her in person at last! (Meanwhile, fine-tuning the household puppy-proofing... and I have three rolls of film just waiting to be pressed into service!)

Yeah, the other four were running around having a grand time playing "I've got the best prize" (in this case a clump of fur off Coalie the hair sheep's back or a piece of rotten wood) and where's Raven? On her back next to Chuck getting belly rubs. Little suck up! :rolleyes:

Oh and AK Dog Doc, how do you know I'm not a puppy mill? Must be my slick web site that convinced you otherwise. LOL!

Laura, great minds--as soon as I thought of T&L I wondered how we'd get hold of Brad.

J.

Yeah. That's me baby. I may not be the Queen of Speed, but I definately am the Queen of Interesting Car Rides. :rolleyes: Course if we were driving down a mountain in the dark and in the rain, Becca would be your girl. :D

I'm here to tell you - I can get from Central, SC (near Clemson) to Greensboro, NC on a quarter of a tank of gas - in the dead of winter. I was a typical poor (and slightly delusional) college student, and I HAD to get home on this 1/4 tank of gas.

I reasoned to myself that of course by not running the heat I would conserve gas - so in the freezing winter I drove all four hours home with no heat. I do believe my fingers practically froze to the wheel (Picture "Dumb and Dumber"). I tucked my little car in between two big rigs (with their permission), and sailed all the way home. Well, more like shivered. This, being normally a 3/4 tank of gas trip, I made on 1/4 tank.

When I got home I told my family of my ingenuity, only to have my bubble burst by my brother - who screwed up his face and said, "Not running the heat does NOT conserve gas, you dummy!". Yeah, well, not running the A/C does conserve gas, so I felt like my deduction was reasonable. :D

Well, even if you shivered more than usual, I still think that 1/4 tank of gas is preeeeetty impressive for a trip like that!

Julie, you're right - I was decoyed by your slick website (though I was disappointed to see that your dogs have no instinct tests - but maybe you can class it up a little after I get an instinct test done!) :rolleyes: Actually, I've got plans for taking her out to the stock pens after she has a chance to get settled... my new coach is kind of excited.

Hmm, Raven's Road Trip Roster - crowded with luminaries of the BC boards and stock dog world!

Originally posted by AK dog doc:

I was disappointed to see that your dogs have no instinct tests!

That's 'cuz they have no instinct (LOL!), and I wouldn't want to be making false claims about their abilities now would I? Right now Raven seems to have the same instinct as Phoebe and Nick: See sheep moving toward you, run for your life (that's the self-preservation instinct in case you were wondering). :rolleyes:

J.

Yay! Another puppy to a board member!

You know we want thousands of pictures right? Or, millions if you can do that. :rolleyes:

See sheep moving toward you, run for your life
lol!! Now that was funny. :D That is what Dazzle might do in front of sheep, I guess I could just say "she has very stong self-preservation instinct". :D

Ah - coming in late...I do agree that between Julie and myself that we can get to Atlanta in record time. We *might* let Laura drive her own vehicle on the way home!!!

Yes, I've decided that Raven would much rather be with people than anything - she was all over Chuck last night. And Nick was too funny running far away from the scary sheep - he was so cute I couldn't help but chuckle...I'm sure that will pass with time!!!

So, while I'm not looking forward to getting up at 1:30 am to drive 4 hours, it should be an adventure. But then again, I could be at home with my grumpy husband (grumpy because he is NOT a morning person at all) who has to get up at 5:30 am to do potty for all the dogs so he can leave by 6:30 am for student teaching.

Ladies - we will have to really butter him up good when we get home!!! If we do that there is a better chance he will do this again in the future.

Becca, want to join in? I'm sure you have nothing better to do in the wee hours of Monday morning!
You know how to tempt a girl, don't you? I think I might need to come and supervise (hehe). Laura can tell you when it comes to the wee hours of the morning, I can keep anyone awake.

What are the logistics of this adventure in the making? I can get PAtrick to drop me off at Laura's on the way back from church Sunday if that's helpful.

You need someone to record this on film for posterity. Sounds like the rest of you will be too busy ogling Brad? :rolleyes:

Becca - Laura is coming to my house on Sunday and we are driving to Dr. Ben's for the day. Then we are coming back to my place to spend the night. Were you planning to go to Dr. Ben's?

Although, I don't think I can convince Brian to keep any more dogs - he is a little overwhelmed by the 14 dogs that will currently be staying at the residence.