BC Boards

Newbie!! Hello all

Hello everyone,

Hope all is well around the forum. OK were do i start....

I guess to start off im looking into purchasing a BC. I have been doing alot of research on the internet and books. I have come to you all for some help and opinions.

I guess it would be best to tell you about myself. I am 24 yrs old and live in NY. I have my own house with a nice sized back yard. I live across the street from a Huge park(see all types of dogs everyday :rolleyes: its great). i have been around dogs my whole life. From air terriers to pugs and pitbulls.

Is a BC fit for me?

Im looking for a companinion. I love the outdoors. Biking/running kayaking/hiking all of that. i work normal hrs and after work go for long runs/walks/bike rides..its relaxes me ..lol. so i figure a BC would be great for me. They are very active/ and are loyal to there owners.

Now just a few questions...

1- what is the differnce between a Aussie and a BC?

2- can i have some opinions on what is better -Smooth haired or rough haired?im kinda leaning towards a Rough coat.

3-male or female- im leaning towards a female. Do the males always get bigger then the females? what is the average size for m/F BC?

4-are BC hard to train? i have read that they are very smart. so im thinking it cant be that hard.

ahhh what else..

im sure ill be back later with more questions.

pls feel free to give me all the info you can on EVERYTHING..I want to know what im getting myself into..:D

also..

any breeders around?

Justin

Providing you're not countryboy, I'll have an attempt at answering your questions the best I can.

I'm no expert, but:

1- what is the differnce between a Aussie and a BC? Border collies are usually smaller and lighter than Aussies. BCs can come in a wider range of color combos than Aussies. BCs are usually more intense and energetic than Australian Shepherds. Generally they have a different working style- an Aussie is a "loose eyed" herder which means less intense and usually closer to the livestock, and more upright, when the BCs are called "strong eyed" herders, lower to the gorund, usually a bit far away from the livestock and are famous for their crouching and stalk.

2- can i have some opinions on what is better -Smooth haired or rough haired?im kinda leaning towards a Rough coat. No one can choose that for you. It's an opinion, and if you have a strong preference, go with it.

3-male or female- im leaning towards a female. Do the males always get bigger then the females? what is the average size for m/F BC? Depends on you. The majority of people I know consider males to be more affectionate and the females a bit more independent. That seems to be the general conensus of dog people I know but it's not a strict rule. I suppose males might be bigger, but that's really hard to gauge since the medium size range of BCs is rather large, even a range of 30 pounds.

4-are BC hard to train? i have read that they are very smart. so im thinking it cant be that hard.

A properly stimulated and happy BC is a joy to train and they catch on to things very easily, sometimes things you don't want them to. Yes, they are extremely intelligent and responsive. That doesn't mean they don't need much training and a job.

You seem a little doubtful about the breed. Why do you want a BC? How much time do you have to exercise a dog? How do you plan on exercising a BC? A BC is not usually content with a backyard and a leash walk. Keep in mind they need tons of mental stimualtion as well as physical exercise. Would you plan on getting involved in an activity such as agility? Would you consider an adult, possibly from rescue?

thank for you response. im not to sure who countryboy is..lol

well i just want to make sure i am making the right choice. I like doing my research and understand what im doing. i would like to get a BC because they are beautiful/smart/ loyal. I have always wanted one but i just never got one. again i love the outdoors. i would come home everyday and the rest of my days and weekends would be for him. i would love to try my hand in the agility cont, i t would be alot of fun. as for getting an adult . i would like to egt a puppy and i know that a puppy BC or a Adult BC would be the same but i would just lke to see a lil furball running around for a few months

The most important thing to remember is not to limit yourself. BCs are not the only beautiful/smart/loyal/active dogs out there by any means. There are so many breeds or mixes that can fit those needs just as well - but might not be quite as high maintenance as a BC. I have heard of so many people that get a BC because they (I guess) don't think any other breed/mix could keep up with them on their bike. There are so many athletic dogs out their (especially any working bred dog).

any breeders around?

Look into rescue - they will have puppies, but also a ton of older dogs so you can really know what you are getting into.

1:

There are a lot of differences. a LOT. Besides the working styles mentioned by Millie&MeBC, there are so many temperament differences. Aussies are much much much more vocal for one thing. They can also be more "talk backish". They are bigger, and a stockier build (but no less athletic. There are some Aussies around here that no BC can beat at Agility). you really just have to see both breeds up close and personal to see all the differences - not all can be put into words.

2:

Neither is "better". If you don't want as much grooming and pulling out sticks and whatnot, a smooth is for you. If you don't mind, then a rough would be fine. you don't have to limit yourself though - because either would work. You should judge a possible dog/pup on temperament - not coat length if that doesn't matter to you.

3: Males can tend to be bigger - but that is in no way even close to a rule. BCs can be anywhere from 20 pounds to 60. Some say that males can be more easy going - but I haven't seen any proof of that. It is your choice really.

4: That depends on YOU, the trainer. They can be easily trained (although the truth is my Shih Tzu picked up some things faster than my BC) but only if they have a good trainer. You cannot get a BC and expect it to be well trained with little effort on your part. They can take just as much time and devotion as any other breed. I think that getting these dogs because they "can be house trained quicker" isn't a good idea AT ALL. That is no good reason in my book.

Merry Meet, Jussy!

I'll add my two cents worth. You did not indicate your situation during weekdays. Would someone be at home with the dog, and be able to keep it occupied? BC's need to be active, and do not respond well if they are confined for long periods of time. Not only can they be destructive if not confined, but they can also develop a variety of neurotic conditions. You describe a great environment for the dog when you are home; but if you work during the week, you must also keep in mind the dog's best interests during the time when you are not at home.

With respect to the difference between Aussies and BC's, BC's tend to fall into two size ranges. The smaller variant seems to run in the typical 30-35 pound range, while the larger variant can run over 60 pounds. Annie (the smaller dog in the Avatar) is a 32-pound roughcoat, and so falls into the smaller grouping.

Also, I would also gently suggest that you give consideration to a rescue dog rather than a puppy, even if it is a bit older. As I have said (too) many times before, a breeder can always find a home for a puppy; but a rescue dog, like an orphaned child, needs a home, and needs your love. You will find that not only can you find an excellent dog through rescue, but in future years you can reflect with pleasure on the fact that you made a difference in one abandoned animal's life.

Whatever you decide, the best of luck to you; and even if you decide on a breed other than a BC, you are always welcome here.

Than you again for you responses.

As to answer your question about weekdays. I work a normal 8-4/5 job. I live with my brother who is home @ 2-3. I usally wake up early to go for a run so he would have alot of attention in the A.M aswell as at night. again this isnt for sure just yet..thats why i came to this forum to hear it from the experts. thank you for all you help

i would suggest getting an adolecent dog (1yr+) at the youngest. We got ceana at 7 weeks and when my other half didn't have a job. We would not have been able to leave her alone for more than two hours until she was about 6months.... which was fine while we were both finishing college. Now that she is 1 we are both able to work our 9-5's and we play both in the mornings, evening and our weekends are dedicated to her. She gets angry on Thursday morning when we go to work if my other half has not flexed out his hours. (He usually works 40 hrs in 4 days)

Also make sure that you find a dog that plays well by themselves. If Ceana was not so self absorbed ( she poses with toys in the mirror, sees how mean she can look in the mirror, and pounces on toys as long as she thinks she is not being watched) we would not be able to leave her alone throughout the day. A bored BC is a destructive BC.... and sometimes they are very clever about their destruction.

Other than that all I can say is good luck!

I would suggest, even just an older puppy. I work full time when when I was getting a Toller puppy I wanted a dog that was a puppy, but past the "I need to get up and go pee every 2 hours, and every other hour I just wanna PLAY!" stage lol also with all the things you do aftrer and before work, you wi;ll be able to start right away with an older pup, while at 8 weeks old your just gonna have a little furball that needs exersize and stimulation..but cant go running, or biking yet lol. for your needs and wants I would go 6 months at the youngest.

I agree. Older sounds like the best way to go. Then you have a partner that can run /hike with you right away, and you won't have to worry about a young pup hurting his joints and such.

Also rescue is a wonderful way to go. They all so badly need homes, and you can know what their personality is right away. That way you can get a perfect personality fit.

I agree with the older dog border collie and blue heeler puppies are the DEVILS trust me . I have 3 18 week old Bc pups and a 1 year old blue heeler you have to keep your eyes glued on them at all times . I have had several of my favorite shoes eatin this week haha . If i could have gotten a adult I would have but these are rescues and the only reason I have three is I couldnt stand thinking of them killing them ( long story) . Actually ace is eating my shoe as I type anyways I would certaintly go with the older dog they are So many that really need homes . I got my Bc cross as a 2 year old and he is the best dog I have ever had . Best of luck with what ever you decide !

Hi! :rolleyes: I agree with the others about an older pup or maybe a young adult. I have a 6 month old BC and 2 Shelties, who are 17 and 18 months old. I'm more limited with what I can do with Nykie vs the Shelties. Good job on researching first. :D

Just a quick welcome, and vote for rescue. We rescued Hoku as a 10 week old pup, and our next dog will be older for sure! Pups are fun, but alot alot alot of work (did I mention that they are alot of work?) He is my first BC, and we think he's got some something else in there, too. But smart? You bet! Fun? You bet! Easy to train? Yep, they learn FAST, but much more work to train then any other dog I have had, as he is all ways on, thinking, busybusybusy. If I am not interacting with him, he has to be in 'off' mode (in his pen or the house) as he will get into some trouble before you know it. The physical exersize is only 1/2 of the equation. Mental stimulation is major, and takes lots of time and energy, much more then just your AM run. But if you are up for it, they are great dogs, just don't ever expect them to entertain them selves, I can assure you that you will not like what is on the program!

Hi

Rescue is a great idea, Males I have read are sometimes perferred in this breed as females tend to be a bit overprotective. I have a male, he is solid, stocky, not petite as a female in features.

I must be a very lucky BC owner, because we both work and he is alone all day long, he does not destroy anything, he has his confined area , and his cage is always open for sleeping.

I have found he has improved since we started agility, he likes the interaction and the job to do.

but then he is only a year and 5 months old, consider that he is just a puppy/adolescent!

One of my friends told me that I was crazy to get a BC, that I could never excerise him enough; Another told me he will adapt to my lifestyle, the second friend was correct!

At your age you wont have a problem keeping up with a BC, if I can do it!!!

Pia

Thank you all for you reponses. im am still in the market for a BC. i have been looking for some rescues between the or 8- 17 months old.

I do have 1 question. I have seen a few pics of pups around with a really fluffy kind of coat. They say that they are 6 weeks old. The coat is so fluffty kinda looks like wool.lol has anyone seen this? or am i going crazy.

is it a rough coat or smooth.

Does puppy hair change over the years?

Justin

Yes, at that age they are full of what I call puppy fluff. These would be the rough coated dogs. The smooths are smooth as pups, but I think still softer than when they have adult coats. I have not raised any Border Collie pups, mine are all shelter dogs. My Bouviers lost the last of their puppy coats by the age of two, but someone who has been in BC's longer and raised pups will have to give you a timeline for this breed.

Kathy

I think it depends on the dog. Delta lost her puppy fluff about 5-6months but there are some dogs at agility and obedience who still have theirs at 12months. I think it also depends on their diet. Delta has been fed an entirely raw meat/bones/organs diet from the day I got her. The dogs that still seem puffy at a year old were all fed commercial puppy food (just an observation, it may not make a difference)

Delta at 7 1/2 weeks (the day I got her)

IMG_0211.jpg

Delta at about 6 months

100_0395.jpg

Yesterday (7 months)

100_0666.jpg