BC Boards

Is this a new concept?

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I was talking to my boss at work the other day and he had his lab neutered last week. He proceeded to tell me that his dog clearly still has his testicles which I thought was odd. My two neutered boys don't have a darn thing back there. So we came to the conclusion that the vet must have done the equivalent of a vasectomy on the dog. I thought it was a bit weird but if it works, it works. Well, I had Rudy the foster dog neutered last week and I noticed they left the sack in place after his neuter, which I also thought was odd. So I went feeling around and sure enough, he's still got his testicles! Mind you, these are two totally different vets and two totally different cities.

Is this normal? If so, is it a new technique? I've never heard of a neutered dog still having it's testicles. Granted, I haven't had a dog neutered in a long time, but even so, unless this is some totally new idea, you'd think I would have heard of it.

Anyone?!

Well I know that swelling can be quite significant after a neuter - to the point of looking like the dog still has testicles, but on palpation I don't know. Sounds like a call to the vet is in order...

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I've definitely palpated and my boss has as well. I just figured it would be an awfully strange coincidence which is why I asked.

If you were in the northeast I would say it was pretty weird, but you are in TX. I have been told by family members who live in the south and southwest that a lot of people freak out at the thought of a male dog losing its manhood. Perhaps this is how vets are convincing people to neuter, by leaving the balls in? It's healthier for dogs to keep them, but then you still have sexual behavior and the (slim) chance that it didn't go right and the dog is still able to sire pups. I agree though, very weird for it to happen all of a sudden and without the vet telling the owner their plans.

well,

I have a friend that purchased a dog that was advertised as well bred, working, had papers, and she bought him. This dog was a disadsaster. Luckily, he was rehomed. His coat was awful, his temperment, was very shy- he had NO INTERST in sheep. In fact I have pics. And the poor thing had only one nut. The owner didn't even realize that????????? Excuxe me. I don't go ........"checking around"...but as my friend did, she luckily said- hey....."Does this dog have only one nut?' Yep! and it's genenritic. Good thing she is well up to date on generitcs and this may not happen again.

Actually, you might want to check into this a little more. Sometimes both testicles are there, but they don't both drop down into the scrotum the way they are supposed to. One does, or neither, and if they don't, they stay stuck up in the abdominal cavity and can cause some issues. I don't think any normal vet would take one and not the other if they were in there, you know?

It's called cryptorchidis (sp?) in horses. I don't know what it's called in dogs.

Well, as you know, I never have anything but boys, lol. So, I've had plenty of neuters done. I don't know anything about doing vasectomies versus castrations, but my vet does castration. There is a lot of swelling afterward and it appears as if the dog still has his testicles. I've never felt around down there afterward because I don't think the dog would much appreciate that, lol, but it takes a long time for that swelling to go down. Even after the swelling goes down, it takes a long time for those tissues to atrophy and so the dog may still appear like the testicles are present, especially when the dog is neutered as an adult. So, while I'm not saying that it's not possible that the vet did a vasectomy, I wouldn't automatically assume that he did just because you see and feel something there.

To do a vasectomy vs a traditional orchidectomy, there would have to be some discussion between the vet and the owner. The former still allows for all the usual functions (some irritating) of the dog, and in fact allowing him to mate, just shoot blanks. I would encourage the owner to get to the "bottom" of this - no pun intended.

Julie

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

It's been 10 days since the neuter so the swelling is gone and you can easily palpate the testicles. Thanks for your input guys.

I read a dog book several years ago where the author recommended having vasectomies done on male dogs instead of castration.

I can't remember the author or title. It was one of those books where the author was reflecting on her life with her dogs. She apparently chose to have vasectomies on her males.

I never really gave it much thought, but because of that I have heard of it being done.

At the hospital where I work, we have not done a vasectomy. The doctors believe that while a vasectomy would prevent reproduction, the other advantages that you get when neutering are not addressed.

Before my time, we had a client come in for a "neuter" with their dog who had a "vasectomy" somewhere else. Apparently, the vasectomy wasn't successful...they found him tied with her sister's dog and the result came soon after. The sister was 100% confident her bitch wasn't exposed to any other males and they thought this dog was "safe". Curiously, dad was a Mastiff and mom was a Great Dane and she only delivered one pup. So I wonder if his sperm production was *reduced* because the vasectomy wasn't *complete*. Makes you wonder....

Michelle

If the dog is grown, what are the advantages of vasectomy vs. castration? I mean, really, it's not like the dog is going to say, gee, what a rotton human, now I don't get to have a roll now and then!. Even if it was a breeding dog, he won't give it another thought. If the dog is grown, I would think the hormones that give dogs that "manly" look would have done their job.

I think if dogs could think thoughts like us, they would think we are a very strange species!

P.S. Jackson is intact and has never had a roll, nor will he, and he hasn't said a word about missing it!

Some dogs will chew through doors, jump out of windows and do anything to get out, travel roads and other life threatening routes when they smell a good female smell. I know of a male who disappeared for 10 days, and came home with bleeding pads. Wonder where his kids are now? Even the vasectomy will not always stop breeding activities, but removing the testicles will help remove the causal hormones. Some un-neutered males will shock their owners - when it is too late.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Okay, here's the deal. I called my vet and asked if they actually removed the testicles and they told me yes. It's been 10 days and a majority of the swelling of the scrutum is gone. I took him in last week because the massive swelling made me think he was infected, but he wasn't. Now the scrotum looks, well, normal for all practical purposes. There seems to be no fluid inside or any other sort of puffiness at this point. However, I felt him this morning and there are definitely two little rocks in there. It may be swelling but I'm quite sure it's not fluid as they aren't that squishy really. Anyhow, if they don't go away in a few days I will be swinging him by the vet to make sure nothing's wrong...like, err, they forgot to remove his testicles? :rolleyes:

I've just never felt what feel like testicles in there 10 days after a neuter before.

I am curious about people saying that a neutered dog is not able to get tied with a bitch in heat.

Neutered dogs *can* get tied with a bitch in heat. I think what people are saying is that dogs with testicles, whether vasectomized or not, will still go seeking bitches in heat (and other intact male behaviors), whereas dogs that have been castrated generally don't.

Is it possible that what you're feeling is the little lumps where the vas deferens, etc. was tied off and not actual testicles (I would think the former would be way smaller than the latter).

J.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Geez Mary, make me snort Dr. Pepper out through my nose why don't ya?!?! :rolleyes:

The reason I asked about a neutered dog getting tied with a bitch in heat is because I've personally seen it happen. It seemed like some of the others were saying it couldn't happen. I understand that dogs with testicles, whether functional or not, will continue to seek out bitches in heat moreso than a dog without testicles would.

These aren't small knots so I don't just think it's where the cuts were made and the deferens were tied off. But hey, I'm no vet.

Mary, I wonder if I should get pictures for you? :D

I wish I had the link handy... Someone put together an article that summed up studies that have been over the past 20 yrs or so plus data that was collected on intact vs neutered dogs. Males are better off health wise staying intact while females are better off spayed. Some of the issues that came up with the males included a much higher incidence of certain types of cancer, hormone imbalances, etc.

ETA: I actually found a PDF of it saved on my computer. Not sure how to share it with everyone though...