BC Boards

Holly does not like the hot weather

Holly is 17months old and last summer she didn't enjoy the hot weather much. This year it looks like she is going to be the same. It has not been that hot here in the UK yet but already she is acting like last year. She will go out in all nasty weathers, like rain, snow etc and be fine. Then when it is hot outside she will lay down everytime she gets into a bit of shade. We don't walk her in midday heat and make sure the pavements are not to hot and take drinks for her but obviously she is not very keen on the sun. In the garden she will go into the shade too.

I thought this kind of breed was fairly tolerent of all weathers so is Holly acting unusual for a BC i wonder?

It does not matter at all really as she is not a working dog and i can walk her when it is a little cooler so it doesn't make any difference to me. I have just been wondering about it and thought i would ask if anyone elses BCs are like that?

I believe heat tolerance varies from dog to dog. Plus, there is the question of whether the dog is acclimated to hot weather. Does he live in air conditioned quarters or is he in warm weather at all times?

Quinn has what I consider low tolerance for heat and he spends his days in air conditioning. When the weather gets warm, we play frequent but brief games of fetch and try to do most of our exercising first thing in the morning and/or as the sun is setting. It's important to know your dog and also be very alert to any signs that the heat is making the dog ill. For instance, Quinn will go lie down on his own when he needs a break during a game of fetch. On the other hand, at his sheep lessons I see a lot more drive and intensity and feel he would keep working despite the heat getting to him. So I need to make the choices about when and how long he is with sheep. I've heard of a young BC who died playing fetch, just kept running until he collapsed and was horribly sick. So we need to use our heads when our dogs are that much in drive.

I don't think it's that weird for her not to like hot weather. I know Black Jack loves to play anytime but since it's getting hot here (around 90f today) he'll play for a while but then go find some shade to lie down in. I just let him cool off. I just started playing with him more in the early morning and late at night.

Sam never liked hot weather. Our first holiday was in the Peak Distric when he was about 14 months and I had to spend the afternoons at the caravan with him. I could n't even leave him inside incase he got too hot. The only place he liked was under the van. He improved a bt as he got older but once he reached 8 or 9 he refused to do much at all in warm weather. This is Dale's first summer but so far he seems to carry on quite happily on hot days. They're all different :rolleyes:

Solo despises hot weather. His favorite weather is about 55 degrees Fahrenheit (that's 13C for the Continental types) and he especially likes it when it's disgusting and misty out. I always figured it was his heritage speaking. But then again, Fly actually did grow up in the UK, and she doesn't seem to notice heat, so...

Hey thanks guys :D

Holly is like Solo, she is happy at about 55f. We don't get the 90f until later in the summer here. I think our top temp must be about 75f at the moment. That isn't everday though.

We don't need air con in homes really, usually just have lots of fans blowing over here in the UK.

I am careful with Holly overheating but to be honest because she is like she is and stops herself from playing when it's too hot it is easier. Like Quinn Holly usually just has a few minutes fetch and play then settles down in the shade for rest. She tires so quickly when it is warm compared to the winter months and really doesn't need much entertainment when it is very hot which is nice for me. :D

She loved her holiday a week ago when the weather was a bit dull, that's her type of weather. :D

It doesn't need to be that hot for Holly to pack up and find shade, nice to know she isn't too soppy ( carn't think of the right word, i mean woosey but don't think that's a true word either, oh well you get my meaning). lol :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all comments. :D

I am careful with Holly overheating but to be honest because she is like she is and stops herself from playing when it's too hot it is easier. Like Quinn Holly usually just has a few minutes fetch and play then settles down in the shade for rest. She tires so quickly when it is warm compared to the winter months and really doesn't need much entertainment when it is very hot which is nice for me. :rolleyes:

And if Holly is like Quinn as far as the cold goes, then she'll have you standing outside in crazy snow and cold to play Frisbee. This is a photo of Quinn during a really long cold and snowy period we had this year. He'd come in with huge snowballs clinging to his belly and legs. I had to put him in the shower to help the melting progress. But he still loved the extra long play sessions.

QuinnSnowyFrisbee01-07.jpg

:D That's a cool picture of Quinn. It looks quite deep snow. We didn't get much this year and it wasn't very deep here. Heres Holly in the garden wanting me to play in the snow with her. :D

When it's a nice warm day and i don't need a coat etc she is not bothered wether we walk or not. However, get a cold, horrid, rainy day when you need raincoat,hat,boots, waterproof trousers there she will be waiting to go for that extra long walkies. Fun dogs that they are. lol :rolleyes:

02012007044.jpg

don't know about ellie but the our last Bc the late great Katie Walsh would just go and go even in the heat. Ambient might be 80-90 but out in the sun it's probably over 100. She didn't know the meaning of the word stop but once she did get hot then she would lie down, in the su, for a few minuyes to cool off and catch her breath but within minute sthe frisbee woudl be flyin. We'd head for the crick after 1/2 hour or so and then she was in heaven.

Ellie loves to chase the stream from the garden hose when she gets hot full on stream right in the old kisser. Well she does it for Lefty and one day she'll do it for4 me!!!!! Well she did it once until she looked up and realized it was the grizzly bear and that slowed her down. The first date is always the hardest isn't it........

When it's a nice warm day and i don't need a coat etc she is not bothered wether we walk or not. However, get a cold, horrid, rainy day when you need raincoat,hat,boots, waterproof trousers there she will be waiting to go for that extra long walkies. Fun dogs that they are. lol :rolleyes:

Our dogs sound like two peas in a pod. Quinn isn't bothered by any kind of weather except the hot variety. As it turns out, that's my least favorite as well so we do ok together. Though I did spend a lot more time standing in freezing cold and blowing snow than I ever meant to this past winter. On one of our worst days of wind, snow and cold, a friend said "well, of course you can't go outside for more than a few minutes at a time." I said, "Oh, really? I've spen an hour outside this afternoon. Obviously you don't live with a Border Collie." :D

I like the snow in your photo way better than the snow in mine. And how could anyone resist a cute play bow like Holly's? :D

I'd say be happy your dog has enough sense to get out of the heat! Molly, despite her black coat, seems to be an idiot when it comes to the sun. We put her out somewhere with plenty of shade and she lies in the sun. I can tell from potty trips that despite free access to fresh water, she doesn't drink enough either. If she can talk us into playing in the heat, she'll keep going and going (we set plenty of limits though). Then we have a 5 minute walk to the sea but she doesn't like to go in, not even if we both wade out and throw a stick around. I've tried the creek before and she doesn't seem to want to go in there either (and the water is a bit smelly anyway). We just try to keep tabs on her and hope she doesn't seriously overheat. I've already had her disturbed enough that she kept snapping after flies that weren't there, so I'm being even more careful.

On one of our worst days of wind, snow and cold, a friend said "well, of course you can't go outside for more than a few minutes at a time." I said, "Oh, really? I've spen an hour outside this afternoon. Obviously you don't live with a Border Collie." :D

I like the snow in your photo way better than the snow in mine. And how could anyone resist a cute play bow like Holly's? :D

yeah no that feeling!! :rolleyes:

Holly knows the look she has to give for me to play!! :D and it works for her, she has trained me well :D

Sweet ceana - 100f thats hot!!, not sure i would be much good plodding around in that especially if thats your cooler bit of day. The drenching her is a good idea, Holly loves the hose so that would be no problem. When it gets warmer here i shall try that before her walks. :D

ellie - sounds like she is still doing really well and hopefully you will be holding that hose too for her soon. :D

Rebecca - i much pefer Holly to stop when she is too hot, that's hard trying to judge just how far they can go before you stop them. Holly didn't like the sea at first last year, but we kept going closer and getting her used to playing on the beach first. I think the sound of the waves scared her. Then gradually got closer, she now loves the sea and goes straight in but still wont swim yet, however, she is going deeper so we think that will come soon. Just keep trying with Molly and maybe she will get used to it like Holly. Hope so as it is great watching her in sea, i love it. :D

Thanks again guys

Oh, Nykie hates the heat. If it's hot outside, she'll go out and do what she has to do and goes immediately to standing at the door wanting back in. Of course, we have been having 90+ temps and high humidity. She loves being outside in the morning and late evening, but not in the hottest part of the day.

post-7589-1182223547_thumb.jpg

Our dogs sound like two peas in a pod. Quinn isn't bothered by any kind of weather except the hot variety. As it turns out, that's my least favorite as well so we do ok together. Though I did spend a lot more time standing in freezing cold and blowing snow than I ever meant to this past winter. On one of our worst days of wind, snow and cold, a friend said "well, of course you can't go outside for more than a few minutes at a time." I said, "Oh, really? I've spen an hour outside this afternoon. Obviously you don't live with a Border Collie." :rolleyes:

Ha! My BC hated heat at 5 months old he would walk outside and do his business and head right for the door to go back to AC. Works ok for me I hate heat too!

here is a pic from this winter, playing Frisbee! BOY did I spend hours outdoors this past winter,, more then in years!

Michelle - Hey that's hot, i don't think i would like the high humidity let alone Holly. :rolleyes:

Sharkie - Holly is really good going out to the toilet in all weathers, just when it's hot she comes straight back in. :D

Pia - That's a cool pic of a play bow - in the snow :D I am spending way more time outside in nasty weathers now too. They are very good these BC's for our own activity level. I certainly wouldn't be out walking in nasty weather if i hadn't got her. lol :D

Thanks all

An anecdote, when I worked in a dog training center a coworker was training his black GSD and put him in "down" under the summer sun for some minutes to test the dog. He went to talk to me and as it was lunch time I (without know) invited him to eat hot dogs in place near. He agreed and we went to the said place, you know man, you mention food and they forgot about all. When we were there about 20 minutes he suddenly remembered about his dog, he felt miserably guilty and we jumped in the car to go back as fast as possible. To his dismay, the dog was still in Down in the same spot. We ran towards him to see how he was and... he was just not OK, but his coat was fresh. Black dog.

The dog, not being stupid heard the car when we go out he went to the shed, and when he heard the car coming back, he went back to the ordered placed.

I'm sorry to be redundant, as I know I said this in an earlier post. It appears that BC's do not respond well in hot conditions; they are far more adaptable in moderate and cold climates. The difficulty with heat became particularly evident when they were brought to Australia to herd sheep in the Outback; thus, the Kelpie breed was developed. When Australian sheep were brought to the US to be raised in the harsh conditions of the Southwest, the Australian Shepherd breed was developed to accommodate the temparature extremes. (While known as Australian Shepherds, the breed as we know it today developed exclusively in the United States, and is often argued to be the first true American-developed breed.)

On a personal basis, my experience with Annie is such that we must take extreme care in hot conditions. Being a BC, she does not respond well to the heat; but also being a BC, she does not know when to quit, and we must exercise control to make sure that she does not work herself into a heat stroke.

I'm sorry to be redundant, as I know I said this in an earlier post. It appears that BC's do not respond well in hot conditions; they are far more adaptable in moderate and cold climates. The difficulty with heat became particularly evident when they were brought to Australia to herd sheep in the Outback; thus, the Kelpie breed was developed. When Australian sheep were brought to the US to be raised in the harsh conditions of the Southwest, the Australian Shepherd breed was developed to accommodate the temparature extremes. (While known as Australian Shepherds, the breed as we know it today developed exclusively in the United States, and is often argued to be the first true American-developed breed.)

On a personal basis, my experience with Annie is such that we must take extreme care in hot conditions. Being a BC, she does not respond well to the heat; but also being a BC, she does not know when to quit, and we must exercise control to make sure that she does not work herself into a heat stroke.

I hadn't read the above info before, it appears then that the Kelpie and the Austalian Shepherd is a much more hardier breed than the BC.

I am glad Holly is like she is really as at least she won't keep going and overdo it in the heat. I have read before in magazine articles the dangers of a dog (any breed) overheating and dying. That is really scary so Holly being the way she is is good for me. :D You do read also of the BC just going and going in all conditions if it is working, Holly wouldn't be any good at working though as if she had had enough she would just stop. Lay down and give you a that's it i am done look. :rolleyes:

The dog, not being stupid heard the car when we go out he went to the shed, and when he heard the car coming back, he went back to the ordered placed.

:rolleyes: How cool is that!!!! :D

Kessie is also a heat quitter. If she'll run herself to death, it will be in winter. When it's cold she'll just keep going and going and going!

When it's too hot, she'll even end a game of football - one of her top three favourite games EVER - and go lie down in the shade. Maybe she's got a faulty work ethic (that would make two of us then!), or maybe she knows that it's only a game and not worth the effort.

Pia - That's a cool pic of a play bow - in the snow :D I am spending way more time outside in nasty weathers now too. They are very good these BC's for our own activity level. I certainly wouldn't be out walking in nasty weather if i hadn't got her. lol :rolleyes:

Thanks all

Hey Thanks, I love that pic :D I had it as wallpaper on my cell for months! I really like being more active with Tucker too, I was active before I got him, but he Kicked it up a Notch for me :D

Fun dogs that they are. lol :D

By the way just watched your video at the sea, loved it! I haven't been to the beach in years and never thought about how much fun it would be to take Tucker, he would love it, he loves water, he is nut for it, any kind of water from rain to hose to super soaker guns, the only water he don't care for too much is BATH WATER! :rolleyes: