BC Boards

I feel SO bad-I was sick, she was so good

Yesterday, I was very ill. I wont gross you out with details, but basically use your imagination and Im sure it was somewhere around how sick I was. I think I have food poisoning. I still dont feel well today, but I do feel better. Riven was such an angel. She slept with me ALL day, and I mean ALL day. Even the cat kept coming in and wanting attention which is unusual (at least in excess).

So the issue - I dont have a fenced yard, and so we have a deck with a long leash on it that we tied to the deck to let Riven out. We of course check on her often and dont let her out for long. My friends power line was about to fall in their yard and their dog scared to death jumped the fence. She was on a chain and was hanging because the chain wasnt long enough to allow her to reach the other side on the ground. Luckily the other neighbors saw it and brought the dog over here.

Anyway, so now Rivens tie is being used and I am too sick to move further than between my room and the bathroom. I mean I am SICK. I felt so bad, but I couldnt take her out, I absolutely couldnt muster the energy. I was to the point I didnt care if she pee'd in the house, I can clean that, but I was afraid I'd pass out if I tried to take her out. I was seeing double and really dizzy. My family lives an hour away and wouldnt come, and everyone else was in church, busy ect. Anyway, Riven ended up holding it until hubby came home at 11:30 at night! This is 13 hours!!! While I appreciate her holding it, now Im a bit concerned that she's gonna get a bladder infection of some sort or something. Is there anything I can do today to prevent it? Like a certain food, or I dont know lol -- anything?

On a sort of funny note, I brought her inside this morning and she hauled into the living room and hopped onto this teddy bear she LOVES and missed it 3 times cause she was so excited to be up and movin lol. Poor girl. Shes such a good dog. Now she's in her favorite spot.. people and squirrel watching...

IM000473.jpg

One weekend I couldn't bring my GSD/Chow, Jaida with us. So I left her in the garage (wintertime, so not hot) with puppy pee pads put down. I knew she'd have to go and hoped she'd go on those. I fed her before we left but left her with only water. We were gone about 36 hours. She held both 1 & 2 the whole time. When we opened the garage she was just happy to see us and wasn't interested in instantly relieving herself. She was fine. No issues whatsoever.

I would think Riven would be ok. I don't know of any preventative foods.

My dogs regularly hold it for that long. Mr. Woo will not use the potty box on the deck, so frequently won't go from about 5:30PM to 6:AM the following morning. He can go outside if he wants to, he just doesn't. Ans depending on how his elbow is feeling, sometimes RD won't bother to get up and go either.

I wouldn't worry about it.

RDM

I would be surprised if this would cause a problem - unless she's prone to UTI's anyway. 13 hours for an adult dog in an unusual situation wouldn't worry me too much. Sorry you feel so ick - hope you get better. You know, I had something similar - you may want to call your doctor. Antibiotics are sometimes in order for something like that.

Ick, I dont want to go to the doctor lol. We dont have health insurance, and I dont want a bill lol. I've had what was thought to be ecoli from crab legs before, and I think I just got food poisoning from undercooked BBQ fish. I didnt know it was undercooked at the time, my friend informed me AFTER I got sick that she thought she undercooked them lol... :rolleyes:

Im so glad that it isnt horrible for her health. I felt so bad, cause every time I'd get up and run to the bathroom, she'd run to the door to to the deck. So I know she had to go, she just wasnt. What a good girl :D

RDM what is a potty box? Is that like a cat box for dogs or like cardboard box with newspaper or something else?

Ick, I dont want to go to the doctor lol.

Oh yeah, I hear ya. When I got sick the doctor said he suspected it was either e-coli or salmonella, but that he'd need a *shudder* stool sample to tell me for sure. I told him to just fork over the drugs, and we'd skip all the personal pleasantries. :rolleyes:

Glad your feeling a little better today, I hate food poisoning!!!! I would have thought Riven will be ok, Bailey has had to go that long on a couple of ocassions when I cant move to let him out! Bless her she sounds like she was so good, Baileys way of making me feel better is wait until I fall asleep and then cover me in toys! :rolleyes:

So sorry you were so sick!! Glad you are feeling better, that is just the worst. At least it is usually blessedly short. Our golden waited 12-15 hours at times, especially if it was raining! (she was picky!!) She never had any problems from being so persnickety. Scout would probably hold it at least 16 hours, but it has not been more than 4-5. Rosie, forget it, she would go after two hours!

We have to board Fergie when we vacation In England because she, at 11-1/2, could not take the pressure changes and noises in the hold. They charge extra for "walkies", We never have to pay - and Ferg gets the walks. She will eventually be willing to pee in the kennel. But she sure won't poop there. She has to have at least her head in some grass. She really prefers to be in woods or bushes. The kennel gets worried if she won't poop every day. So she gets the "nature trail walkies" every day, without our paying.

Previous kennel didn't offer those walks. But we left her for only a few days for trips to my in-laws. Ferg got a tad "bound-up", as Grandma would have said. But she was fine after two walks.

Keep in mind, the emotional situation for the dog - your being so different from normal - can change the dog's biological situation.

Oh I feel your pain, I had food poisoning that kicked in friday night and I can still barely keep anything down. Feel better soon, and watch out for queso dip :rolleyes: Ceana held it for 15 hours when we drove from Colorado to Arizona and there were no consequences. Worry about your health right now, your pup should be fine. Oh and on a silly note we were looking at cars last week and the sales guy's name was Rohan and guess who was the first person to pop into my head :D

Oh and on a silly note we were looking at cars last week and the sales guy's name was Rohan and guess who was the first person to pop into my head :rolleyes:

Oh my gosh for real?? That is only the 2nd person I've heard of with that name. About a year after we got Rohan my mom told me she met a kid named Rohan. Of course it figures, as soon as you think you've got something unique you find out you didnt LOL. :D

I hope your feeling better soon. I got food poisoning once. It's was terriable!!!! I was throwing up for three days.

I'm pretty sure that Riven will be ok. Our old red heeler would hold it for 10 to 12 hours straight no problem. Then pee like he had never gone before. We always joked that if there was a house fire we'd just hold him up and he'd put it out. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that Riven will be ok. Our old red heeler would hold it for 10 to 12 hours straight no problem. Then pee like he had never gone before. We always joked that if there was a house fire we'd just hold him up and he'd put it out. :rolleyes:

:D :D

Tammy - Rohan is pronounced row-hawn

When I lived in Oklahoma with the (now) ex(yay!) hubbins, we'd regularly make the 12.5 hour drive from OK to Mississippi. At first, we stopped every 3 hours to let the dogs out to potty - but Combat and Recon and Sage would never go. Only if they had refused to go before we got in the car would they choose to potty on the trip.

Finally we started stopping at the 6 hour point instead. Occasionally they would go, but most times they'd just wait till we got home. Never had an issue with any of them, and we made the trip about once every 2 months.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays this semester Recon was in her crate from 8:30 in the morning till 4:00 in the evening and several times had to stay in till 10:00 at night when I got home from work. Granted, that was only like 3 times and it stressed me out in a serious kind of way - but she was fine, if not extremely happy to be out once I got home.